Calling TomTom users

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
For the Iceni Rally last year I was conscious that riders may use TomTom sat navs and not Garmin. As a Garmin user I wanted to make sure I could send out compatible files to everyone.

I downloaded the 'Tyre to Travel' mapping programme for free which accepts gpx files but also allows you to re-save files into many other formats. The files I saved and sent out were TomTom Itinery files and nobody said they didn't work.

Could any knowledgeable TomTom users please explain what the difference is between an Itinery and a TomTom POI file is.

I assume the Itinery file will show a route and also the individual waypoints, but I'm not certain.

You're assumption is right Mark - an itinerary file is a route, and a POI file is a a collection of locations.

The POI is probably the best one to supply, I know of a quick online converter - I'll find it and post back later (I'm just heading out to hit the trail)

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I use tom tom rider, I think it's the first edition, I used the p.o.I. During the Michigan 1000, I had a hard time following it, I didn't know that that when you finished a stop that you had to click on it, I'm still confused on how it works, so I just do one stop at a time.

Why does it seem that the tom tom is used more in Europe?

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
I use tom tom rider, I think it's the first edition, I used the p.o.I. During the Michigan 1000, I had a hard time following it, I didn't know that that when you finished a stop that you had to click on it, I'm still confused on how it works, so I just do one stop at a time.

Why does it seem that the tom tom is used more in Europe?
TomTom is a Dutch company, that's probably why. I've only ever owned Garmins though.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I am playing with tyre and planning a trip for the summer, I am able to get my start and ending point, my bike goes about 150 to 170 miles on a tank, is there any way to make waypoints so that I'm stopping for gas and not guessing and sweating about when the next gas station's coming up?

Right, here you go Mark:

Go to to this site: https://garmin.gps-data-team.com/poi_manager.php

Upload your GPX file of waypoints. On the next page select Save As OV2. This OV2 file is the POI file which you can supply your rally victims, I mean entrants ;)

A nice touch is to also supply some bitmap icons to accompany the POI file, the smaller one (22 pixels square) needs to be named the same as the OV2 file and the larger one (44 pixels square) named to be named the same plus _X2.

For ease you could use the ones I use for my Brit Butt Rally backups (its the Iron Butt UK logo), feel free to download them here:
http://www.led-design.com/RALLY/BritButt/BBR2015.bmp and
http://www.led-design.com/RALLY/BritButt/BBR2015_X2.bmp

The OV2 and BMP files then need to be placed inside the map folder on the TomTom device:

When the user then selects to navigate to a POI there will be a category named the same as your files:

I hope that helps

L

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks Lee. Actually now I come to think of it I did send OV2 files out as it was just bonus locations I wanted riders to have.

For rides such as the RBLR1000 it would still be an Itinery file as it would be a route being followed instead.

I'll have a play around with what you've suggested though. Cheers :)

I've only ever made an itinerary file (.itn) on the TomTom itself, not sure there's an easy convert for a GPX route or if that's something Tyre could do.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
I strongly suggest everyone (well, everyone using Windows) download and installs ITN Converter - http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=4&lang=en. This marvellous bit of software will read umpteen different formats, and save to umpteen formats. So if you want to view your route using Google Earth, this will do the job; saving a GPX as OV2 or ITN, MapPoint file or whatever, is trivially easy.

Yes, an OV2 file will create a new category of points of interest - which can be searched on, displayed on the map and so on, just as with a 'normal POI category such as petrol station or hotel. An itinerary file is a route, usually with a number of waypoints.

Rodneyw71, the intermediate waypoints on a TomTom can either be marked as waypoints or destinations. If they are waypoints then it will plot the entire route from start to finish; it will NOT explicitly tell you when you get to a waypoint, so it's too easy to ride past somewhere you need to stop. If you mark them as destinations, then it only plots a route to the next destination; you have to manually tell it to go to the next waypoint for it to calculate the route. So both approaches have their drawbacks; I prefer the 'destination' one.

Regards,
Martin

Hey Rick, I used that motogoloco site, plotted the route then printed the map.
All those numbers in blue (on the screen map) came out as white squares with numbers on them on the printed map.
I couldn't see the route for the things blocking it.
I right clicked em then hit the X, but I can't find a way of getting rid of em.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Hey Rick, I used that motogoloco site, plotted the route then printed the map.
All those numbers in blue (on the screen map) came out as white squares with numbers on them on the printed map.
I couldn't see the route for the things blocking it.
I right clicked em then hit the X, but I can't find a way of getting rid of em.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Hi Pat, go to layers on the left handside, click Hotel and BB and hey pesto its gone

tyre is simple to use with tom tom never had a problem once your POI 's are created I can send them directly to my tom tom if you save it, it is a gpx file. I can convert from POI to itinerary in tyre itself and vis versa. I have found tyre good for creating POI's and I think its as simple to send an itinerary but i use auto-route as a routing tool you can pull the gpx file straight into autoroute then when route planned send it via itn convertor straight to tom tom.