So, who's from the Tumblong NSW area?

Derrick

IBR Finisher
A couple of time this year I've stopped at the Tumblong Tavern (between Tarcutta and Gundagai) on the way to points north. Leaving Melbourne after work it's the last place you can grab a beer on the highway - although there's times I've just grabbed a softie depending on where I was headed, time of day etc.

On the most recent trip (28th October) I'd planned to camping overnight at Jugiong (for an adv type bike ride starting the next morning in Yass, but I digress.

In any case, I was "outed" as "one of those Ironbutt fellas" by a bloke (Mal?) who works for someone locally that must have done at least a couple of IBA rides.

So, whom is this masked man? :)

Derrick

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Anthony Nicholls (IBA#57955, FR#661) has done a couple of IBA runs and a bunch of FRs starting in Gundagai.... No idea if he employs "Mal" though, Derrick.

Derrick

IBR Finisher
Anthony Nicholls (IBA#57955, FR#661) has done a couple of IBA runs and a bunch of FRs starting in Gundagai.... No idea if he employs "Mal" though, Derrick.
Like your investigative work / googlefu! (Why didn't I think of that...)

I think that's probably/more than likely him, one of his scoots is a GS

Derrick

Like your investigative work / googlefu! (Why didn't I think of that...)

I think that's probably/more than likely him, one of his scoots is a GS

Derrick
Hi Derrick,
I don't get on the forums very often, so last night on a casual perusal to see if anything caught my eye, I was very surprised at the post regarding an IBA rider living near Tumblong! Reading further and I find out it's me you're talking about!! Ha!
Brad would be the bloke you were talking to at the Pub. He works for us as a farmhand and knows a bit about the IBA because, like most people who ride, he shakes his head in faint disbelief when I tell him about the stuff I do on my bike and on my own. He actually came with me in my ute as a back up for an IBA ride I did last year in far NW NSW along the Darling River and into Hungerford, QLD. I needed to get fuel at Wilcannia at 5am, so he met me there with a jerry can, a fire and some coffee which was gold at the time. He hung around phone service most of the day so he could watch my progress via Spot and be to be nearer if I ran into trouble in the really remote areas and at night, so he's a bit of a champion really.
I know what he's like with a few beers in him and I can imagine he would have just about talked your wheels off!!
Anyway, I live 10km north of Gundagai on the Burra Rd, that's where my farm is, and yes I have a GS (nice sleuth work there), I also have a couple of older bikes ('85 VF 1000F and a nice '90 GPz 900R).
You should let me know if you're staying nearby and we could meet for a coffee or something. My email is [email protected]
Cheers, Anthony

Derrick

IBR Finisher
Hi Derrick,
I don't get on the forums very often, so last night on a casual perusal to see if anything caught my eye, I was very surprised at the post regarding an IBA rider living near Tumblong! Reading further and I find out it's me you're talking about!! Ha!
Brad would be the bloke you were talking to at the Pub. He works for us as a farmhand and knows a bit about the IBA because, like most people who ride, he shakes his head in faint disbelief when I tell him about the stuff I do on my bike and on my own. He actually came with me in my ute as a back up for an IBA ride I did last year in far NW NSW along the Darling River and into Hungerford, QLD. I needed to get fuel at Wilcannia at 5am, so he met me there with a jerry can, a fire and some coffee which was gold at the time. He hung around phone service most of the day so he could watch my progress via Spot and be to be nearer if I ran into trouble in the really remote areas and at night, so he's a bit of a champion really.
I know what he's like with a few beers in him and I can imagine he would have just about talked your wheels off!!
Anyway, I live 10km north of Gundagai on the Burra Rd, that's where my farm is, and yes I have a GS (nice sleuth work there), I also have a couple of older bikes ('85 VF 1000F and a nice '90 GPz 900R).
You should let me know if you're staying nearby and we could meet for a coffee or something. My email is [email protected]
Cheers, Anthony
Will do!

Derrick

Ed.

Premier Member
G'day Derrick, I've been meaning to drop in and ask him, but was that ride you were heading to one that was arrange by Darin here in Canberra? Yass to Corryong, I think?

Derrick

IBR Finisher
G'day Derrick, I've been meaning to drop in and ask him, but was that ride you were heading to one that was arrange by Darin here in Canberra? Yass to Corryong, I think?
Yep, that was it.

Overnighted in Corryong where it rained and i chickened out of day 2 and stuck to the Tar, spending the night in Cooma before heading home via McKillops bridge, Limestone Rd (Bn the Omeo Jindabyne rd turnoff and Benambra) before finally going up and over Hotham in zero degrees.

Ask him about the flat tyre i had in Tintaldra ;);)