Question: Lighthouse Tour Challenge

Bert

Premier Member
Myself and a friend are planning to begin the Lighthouse Challenge
next week.
My interest was peaked after reading Chuck Berry's article in the 2015
Fall/Winter issue of IBA magazine. Since then I've read some
contradicting requirements, so I'm looking for clarification as to what is
required to successfully document the challenge.

Is a geotagged photograph of each lighthouse sufficient proof of
visitation to document the ride? I'm I correct that to be considered acceptable the
photograph should be composed of your motorcycle, your rally flag and
the lighthouse? Are there any exceptions or further/additional proof required?

Thanks!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Myself and a friend are planning to begin the Lighthouse Challenge
next week.
My interest was peaked after reading Chuck Berry's article in the 2015
Fall/Winter issue of IBA magazine. Since then I've read some
contradicting requirements, so I'm looking for clarification as to what is
required to successfully document the challenge.

Is a geotagged photograph of each lighthouse sufficient proof of
visitation to document the ride? I'm I correct that to be considered acceptable the
photograph should be composed of your motorcycle, your rally flag and
the lighthouse? Are there any exceptions or further/additional proof required?

Thanks!
The best thing to do is to read the actual rules, at

http://ironbutt.com/lighthouse/

There you will find several methods of documenting your visit, none of which reference geotagged photos. It's possible that such photos would be considered the equivalent of the photo-and-receipt documentation method, but to be on the safe side, I would use the geotagging as additional documentation, not the primary.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Bert

Premier Member
Gotcha, I re-read the officials rules along with Chuck Berry’s article. He wrote that he used a combination of geotagged photographs paired with his SpotWalla account. SPOT is a technology I currently don’t have, so that method is out.

Regarding the rules, they're still a bit confusing to me. They read; "Simply put, you will need 60 stamps, or other proof of visitation, during any continuous twelve-month period to qualify for an IBA certificate.”
It goes on to say "Primary documentation is by photo with gas receipt showing you were in the area at that time or with your IBA ride flag (available from www.ibaestore.com under Miscellaneous) OR an imprint of the unique rubber ink stamps maintained at many lighthouse visitor centers.”
- Does a ride flag take the place of a receipt?
- If a receipt is required regardless of flag, what radius to the lighthouse would be considered the “area”? For example riding the coast of Delaware there are around nine ridable lighthouse spread over ~120 miles.

We absolutely plan to visit, donate and receive a stamp from every lighthouse with a visitor center.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Gotcha, I re-read the officials rules along with Chuck Berry’s article. He wrote that he used a combination of geotagged photographs paired with his SpotWalla account. SPOT is a technology I currently don’t have, so that method is out.

Regarding the rules, they're still a bit confusing to me. They read; "Simply put, you will need 60 stamps, or other proof of visitation, during any continuous twelve-month period to qualify for an IBA certificate.”
It goes on to say "Primary documentation is by photo with gas receipt showing you were in the area at that time or with your IBA ride flag (available from www.ibaestore.com under Miscellaneous) OR an imprint of the unique rubber ink stamps maintained at many lighthouse visitor centers.”
- Does a ride flag take the place of a receipt?
- If a receipt is required regardless of flag, what radius to the lighthouse would be considered the “area”? For example riding the coast of Delaware there are around nine ridable lighthouse spread over ~120 miles.

We absolutely plan to visit, donate and receive a stamp from every lighthouse with a visitor center.
Well, the two parts of the requirement are that you demonstrate you were at the site and that you were there during the one-year period. The ride flag fulfills one of those requirements, the receipt the other. But SPOT tracks, or a combination of geotagged photos and other means will probably work.

Remember that the prime directive is that it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by submitting sufficient documentation to do so. When in doubt, provide more documentation rather than less.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

cberry

Premier Member
GIV 'R!, Bert, which does not translate well from early Newfoundlander speak. Have a great adventure, and bring back a million memories. Starting this late in the season will have its own challenges....But, you have a year. Stop by if you pass by.

At the Spotwalla website https://spotwalla.com you will find a reference to "Bubbler GPS" which is an app for Android phones, and is fully acceptable as evidence of your track toward your objective. You don't have to use "SPOT". By all means, take advantage of that excellent site for all your upcoming rides. Here is a link to my site where you can see all of my public rides https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=cb

Call me at 321-258-1396 if you need an unofficial, real-time answer to some question along the way. Here's my best shot, which didn't make my certified ride (impossible to get without first selling my soul) Cape Canaveral Lighthouse

Bert

Premier Member
Thanks for the advice, Chuck! I’m definitely looking in to buying a SPOT unit and service. It certainly seems like the best way to document my rides, Lighthouse Challenge and otherwise. The ability to stay in contact without cellular service is surely well worth the cost.

In the meantime to document the challenge, my friend and I are photographing our motorcycles with IBA ride flag at each light, along with collecting receipts near the lighthouses we visit.
We’re planning on completing the challenge over a number of weekends, hitting multiple lights on each outing. So far we’ve reached eight lights, over 421 miles, in Philadelphia, Maryland and Delaware. It would have been nine, but regrettably the Mispillion light in Delaware no longer exists.

Absolutely, when I get down to Florida I’d love to meet up and share stories.

Love the shot!

My buddy and I were planning on doing the Lighthouse Challenge, along with a few other certificate rides, for 2021. I have a few questions to ask about the Lighthouse Challenge.

1: The requirements state that you need to visit 60 lighthouses in a 12 month consecutive period. Now, my question for this rule is do we need to do 5 lighthouses per month, example 5 in January, 5 in February, 5 in March and so on to equal 60 for the year? OR can the challenge be done with visiting 60 lighthouses for the total in the year without needing 5 per January and so on? Basically if we were to start in March 2021 and then end with 60 lighthouses in October 2021 is this ok?

2: I'm sure I already know the answer to this question but I'm still going to ask cause my teachers in school always stated that no question is a dumb question lmao. If I start the challenge with one motorcycle, must I complete the challenge with the same motorcycle? Normally I wouldn't ask this since I have never owned two motorcycles at once but I recently paid off my Africa Twin and purchased a Road Glide. I know on the other challenges, like the SS1000 and BB1500, you must finish the challenge on the same bike you started with but since the Lighthouse Challenge is not just one single ride but multiple rides to complete the challenge, I have to ask this question.

Those are the only two questions I have about the challenge, the other requirements are pretty much self explaining. Thanks in advanced and hopefully I'll have my answers before January 1st 2021.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
1. Do the rules say you need to do five lighthouses each month? No. We don't care if you do 60 in one month and then cruise for the other eleven. :)

2. Do the rules say you need to ride the same motorcycle? No. You could ride 60 different motorcycles if you wish. :)

And FYI, you do not need to finish an SS1K or BB1500 on the same motorcycle you started on.. In fact, the only ride I'm aware of that has that requirement is the Ultimate Coast to Coast.

Of course, if you do switch bikes you need to document it by taking the end odo reading for the first bike and the starting odo reading for the second bike. You also need to continue the ride on the second bike from the spot where you stopped riding the first bike. The more documentation the better.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

1. Do the rules say you need to do five lighthouses each month? No. We don't care if you do 60 in one month and then cruise for the other eleven. :)

2. Do the rules say you need to ride the same motorcycle? No. You could ride 60 different motorcycles if you wish. :)

And FYI, you do not need to finish an SS1K or BB1500 on the same motorcycle you started on.. In fact, the only ride I'm aware of that has that requirement is the Ultimate Coast to Coast.

Of course, if you do switch bikes you need to document it by taking the end odo reading for the first bike and the starting odo reading for the second bike. You also need to continue the ride on the second bike from the spot where you stopped riding the first bike. The more documentation the better.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks for the info Ira.

cberry

Premier Member
60 in less than 30 days Xplorr313: For your motivation, and answer to some of your questions

I just reviewed this thread from a few years ago. It really brought back some wonderful memories! I hope your ride is as memorable for you as this one was for me.

cberry

Premier Member
I'm not sure the above link worked. If not, you can go to "ride the rock.com." and then search for Atlantic Canada: Lighthouse Challenge, 60 in 30 Days

Dogpoope

Premier Member
Quick question.. Lighthouse Insanity is over 12-36 month. Is it counted towards MEA as qualified due to Insanity or a regular ride due to the timeframe? Dont know if I make any sense right now, it's 5.30 here and Im 36h in without sleep with a sick kid so doing everything I can to make time go by while he manage to get some min of sleep

Dogpoope

Premier Member
Another question. Let's say I would like to go for Bronze, Silver or Gold on this. Requirements are 2 different oceans but would Baltic Sea and North Sea count or do I need Atlantic Ocean and some other to qualify?