GL1800 Aux Cell Question

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I was looking once again at the photos from the start of IBR '17...and in particular, this aux tank setup:

Anyone here can tell me a bit about it?

Last edited:

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
They are refered to as "tail dragers" its designed mostly for twoup. Its a smart way to get smart miles and even better...smart rest stops as are all aux tanks. These units require a pump to move fuel into the main. No big deal as you shift fuel at the flip of a switch.
If your not building for 2up then gravity and a differnt tank design and location are easy as on the wing with no compromise and switchable for that two up weekend away with your girl.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
The tank in the photo could be moved closer to the bike and what looks like its pump could fit on top and still leave room for number plate ant not inhibit top box access.
Just my thpughts.
Remember Kawthorn if its not being built as an IBR rally bike or similar rally use them capacity is irelevent. All falls back to IBA allowable distance between rest/fuel/food/atm dockets. In Australia then for us thats 600ks max.
I know you have spent some good quality research time on this Kawthorn.
So try this. Nut out a route on roads you know well into a multy day ride with say 550ks legs (convert to miles) then take note of how that extra fuel shifts your fuel only stops. Then really have a look at how that service station hours reflect in good quolity off bike sleep.
Sleep/rest time is what the installation of Aux tanks is about.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
They are refered to as "tail dragers" its designed mostly for two up. Its a smart way to get smart miles and even better...smart rest stops as are all aux tanks. These units require a pump to move fuel into the main. No big deal as you shift fuel at the flip of a switch.<...>
I *have* seen other designs for aux tanks mounted in this way (there's several others in the library of photos I linked above...). It's just the way the photo captured the rest of the setup on this specific bike that's intrigued me.

Gatey said:
So try this. Nut out a route on roads you know well into a multy day ride with say 550ks legs (convert to miles) then take note of how that extra fuel shifts your fuel only stops. Then really have a look at how that service station hours reflect in good quolity off bike sleep.
Sleep/rest time is what the installation of Aux tanks is about.
Oh, very familiar with how time off bike equates to not making time down the road.

That setup seems to be somewhat 'convertible' in reasonably short order. Surmising that it's probably mechanically attached to the bike by way of a trailer hitch mechanism (which I've already got on my GL), it might be a fun addition for those certification rides with my SO on the back.

I'm sure I could look at the IBR '17 participants list to figure out who this is and learn more about it...might have to do that. I'd be interested to read a build summary, simply to learn more.

Last edited: