Track Rate

AndyBlila

Premier Member
For those of you using a SPOT or InReach, what track rate are you using? I have the InReach and the highest track rate that it has, without the high $ subscription, is 10 minutes. I did a test run this weekend and that seems a bit low to me.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm at 10 minutes. Normal conditions, that's fine.

If you're going to run some rallies, you probably want to increase that rate and pay the extra. Ten minutes is too great a span of time to search in the event of disaster. Once you're not going to be in rally mode for a while, drop back down to 10 minutes.

AndyBlila

Premier Member
I'm at 10 minutes. Normal conditions, that's fine.

If you're going to run some rallies, you probably want to increase that rate and pay the extra. Ten minutes is too great a span of time to search in the event of disaster. Once you're not going to be in rally mode for a while, drop back down to 10 minutes.

Do you know how to send that final update when you finish the ride, if you are outside of the 10 Min interval?

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Haven't used it in a while so I can't confirm it still does this, but my recollection is after the set time frame - in my case 10 minutes - the system marks the last known location when the tracker is turned off.

DrNeo

Premier Member
I'll clear a couple things up.

1. If you hit the SOS button, the inReach will take your actual location (not your last 10min track), so the "tracking interval" isn't tied to your safety.
2. When you turn on/off tracking, you'll get a "start" or "finish" - I also send a preset inReach message saying "I'm starting/stopping my day here" - so for your IBA ride, you'll have an accurate start/finish.
3. As Steve said, it will send your last location IF you have tracking turned on and shut off your device.
4. You can send an unlimited amount of preset messages for free

I have my inReach connected to Spotwalla so I can easily share it, but you can use Garmin's website to share too.

Here is my last ride:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=18cd65af2d86289ef7&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Notice that I have an "S" for start, plus a gas stop preset message in Fargo. This indicates to the certification gods that I'm starting here, with gas. Each gas stop along the route (Sioux Falls, Omaha, etc.) has another preset message indicating it's a gas stop. In Cedar Rapids, you'll see an "F" plus another gas stop, indicating that this was my final stop (that also had a gas stop).

If you were doing a rally, you'd simply adjust one of your preset messages to say "bonus location" - this will mark that location, even if you just had a "tracking interval" dot 2 minutes before.

For your 50CC I would turn on tracking at the start, hit a preset gas message, ride, hitting a preset gas message at each gas stop, arrive to your hotel, hit a preset message saying "I'm starting/stopping my day here", turn off the device, then in the morning, turn on the device, hit the same "I'm starting/stopping..." message, then continue riding, at the end, hit your "I'm starting/stopping my day here" and a "gas" preset and you should be just fine getting it certified.

I found that Jim Cyr at avoidingchores.com has some absolutely amazing videos that cover both the original and Garmin inReach

AndyBlila

Premier Member
I'll clear a couple things up.

1. If you hit the SOS button, the inReach will take your actual location (not your last 10min track), so the "tracking interval" isn't tied to your safety.
2. When you turn on/off tracking, you'll get a "start" or "finish" - I also send a preset inReach message saying "I'm starting/stopping my day here" - so for your IBA ride, you'll have an accurate start/finish.
3. As Steve said, it will send your last location IF you have tracking turned on and shut off your device.
4. You can send an unlimited amount of preset messages for free

I have my inReach connected to Spotwalla so I can easily share it, but you can use Garmin's website to share too.

Here is my last ride:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=18cd65af2d86289ef7&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Notice that I have an "S" for start, plus a gas stop preset message in Fargo. This indicates to the certification gods that I'm starting here, with gas. Each gas stop along the route (Sioux Falls, Omaha, etc.) has another preset message indicating it's a gas stop. In Cedar Rapids, you'll see an "F" plus another gas stop, indicating that this was my final stop (that also had a gas stop).

If you were doing a rally, you'd simply adjust one of your preset messages to say "bonus location" - this will mark that location, even if you just had a "tracking interval" dot 2 minutes before.

For your 50CC I would turn on tracking at the start, hit a preset gas message, ride, hitting a preset gas message at each gas stop, arrive to your hotel, hit a preset message saying "I'm starting/stopping my day here", turn off the device, then in the morning, turn on the device, hit the same "I'm starting/stopping..." message, then continue riding, at the end, hit your "I'm starting/stopping my day here" and a "gas" preset and you should be just fine getting it certified.

I found that Jim Cyr at avoidingchores.comhas some absolutely amazing videos that cover both the original and Garmin inReach

Thanks so much. I used my phone for the last ride and this will be my first certification ride with the inReach. This is really helpful. I appreciate it. I am assuming that you send the preset to someone at home?

DrNeo

Premier Member
Thanks so much. I used my phone for the last ride and this will be my first certification ride with the inReach. This is really helpful. I appreciate it. I am assuming that you send the preset to someone at home?
Yep - I have set all of my preset messages to ping my wife's email, as well as mapshare.