RBLR1000 16th June 2018

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
I've just remembered that my jacket has a pocket in the back for a 1.5lt water bladder. Never used it as I prefer on most rides to stop and get a brew on. Off to Go Outdoors at lunch time to get kitted up.

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
The good thing about this ride is that you can be in bed by 9 p.m. on the Friday so should be able to get 7 hours kip before getting up at 4 a.m ready for the off. Although you can't technically bank sleep, a week before any big ride or rally I do I always get to be bed early each night to make me as rested as possible :)
Knowing me I will manage about half of the potential 7 hours :)

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've just remembered that my jacket has a pocket in the back for a 1.5lt water bladder. Never used it as I prefer on most rides to stop and get a brew on. Off to Go Outdoors at lunch time to get kitted up.
A remote hydration system is very worthwhile on LD rides as you can keep hydrated by having a few quick and easy sips while riding slowly or when stopped at traffic lights etc. Or even while standing to refuel the bike etc. I used to use a dedicated rucsack style water bladder but now use a 1.5 litre Sigg water bottle fixed to the side of my bike and use a 'Source' bottle adapter that fits to a hose routed up to my handlebars. It's attached using a key retractor cable thingy so I can let go and it doesn't flap about. :cool:

Looking forward to this years. 3 one of these orgainised ones for me and the 4th SS1000. This year I am doing the CC northern route again bit this time on my little 650 Burgman with a bunch of other Legion riders from Hampshire.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
For those on SS1500 I Came down the A! yesterday. 4 overnight closures. The Junction 51-50 from 20:00 hours is running for 6 weeks. Don't know when it started. There is another around J13 (Diversion via Gt Yorkshire Way). There is one at Grantham that's diverts you out to Melton Mowbray. The M11 also had an overnight closure. All together they added 1 hour to ride time.

On the way north M6 has three sets of road works with average speed cameras North of Birmingham. Even with light traffic at 6am they added 15 minutes to my overall ride time.

Might be worth a little research on the A1.

Good luck with the rides next Saturday,

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the update Gordon. I've been trying to research roadworks etc on a few websites this week so we can give riders a heads-up next Friday evening. We've got 8 doing the BBG route so slowing down for roadworks will mostly affect their rides.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the update Gordon. I've been trying to research roadworks etc on a few websites this week so we can give riders a heads-up next Friday evening. We've got 8 doing the BBG route so slowing down for roadworks will mostly affect their rides.
Oh, I also forgot, cos I didn't need to use it, but the QE 2 bridge was closed Saturday night, All traffic using the tunnels. Causing some problems. Don't know if it was a one off or annual maintenance.

Bob M

IBA Member
Hi all, not managed much riding so far this year, but just signed up to have a crack at this again ( north A/C this time). Safe rides to everyone.
cheers, Bob

Aitch

Think it will be better to use the A19 and Tyne tunnel it’s free for bikes only few extra miles but time wise quicker
Possibly not - the A168 (the road that connects the A1/M1 to the A19 near Thirsk) currently has overnight closures. There is a detour but I reckon this will add 10/15 mins to your journey time.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
I only used the A19 once when heading south clockwise late on the Saturday night. This was a few years ago now, due to the miles and miles of average speed cameras and overnight lane closures on the A1 while there was widening roadworks going on near Scotch Corner and Catterick. I came south of Newcastle first before heading over to the A19. Everything is looking OK for this weekend on the A1 :)

Well
This is my first time total virgin at long distance riding but looking forward to the challenge as Ex military and a veteran myself thought it time to do my bit I even upgraded my bike and I know its more than capable its just the fat old lump sitting on her I worry about

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Make sure you guys head to the IBA shop at Squires for the 2018 RBLR / IBA Pins , Patches , tee shirts etc.
There are more entrants than pins/patches this year so don't miss out by leaving it too late.
Have a great ride !

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
Well
This is my first time total virgin at long distance riding but looking forward to the challenge as Ex military and a veteran myself thought it time to do my bit I even upgraded my bike and I know its more than capable its just the fat old lump sitting on her I worry about
Golden Rules,

Ride safe, Keep hydrated, Eat small amounts and often (nuts & squirrel shit bars etc). Keep the wheels turning but stop if you are feeling tired. (20 minutes lying down a safe point on the grass verge at the side of the road, or in a service area (Iron Butt Hotel). You will be surprised how much difference it will make.
But most importantly ENJOY and you will be fine, :):):)
The world suddenly becomes a smaller place.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Congratulations to everyone who completed the ride; well done to everyone who worked hard to make it happen. Apologies from me for not being there; I had a conference call at 8 am this morning, and then was in the office from 9 am to 3 pm as we worked to implement a new computer system. Trying to do that after not sleeping due to the RBLR1000 probably wouldn't have been a good idea!

Regards,
Martin