Saturday 11th June RBLR1000

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
As Bob has said how you ride your plan is up to you which is why most certificated rides are ridden as and when and how riders choose to. I certainly do feel a degree of responsibility and nervousness for the newer participants, so rightly or wrongly I made a calculated decision intended to help riders come back in one piece.

I apologize if this has upset or prevented anyone from wanting to take part this year.

I'm sure the majority of riders will have a thoroughly wonderful time regardless of when they finish, after all the cliche saying is 'it's the taking part that counts'.

Phil is the main man not me so if anyone wants special dispensation to finish in 15, 16 or 17 hours and he's happy with that, that's fine by me :p :)

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We have to bear in mind that this ride attracts a lot of riders that are new to Iron Butt rides.
To that end we do everything we can to discourage the need for speed.

Any experienced Iron Butt Ride could finish the northern route in 17 hours (with around 1hr of stopped time)or less but that should never be attempted if this is your first ride.

If this is your first 1000 mile day you should have one aim only............. Finish safely inside 24hours...... It is definitely not about speed

I don't care how many times you've done it, my comments still stand, it's not a race and it isn't your party so it's common courtesy to go along with what the organisers suggest.. and I suggest that you look up the word average, you can travel at 70/80mph on the motorway and still end up with an average well below that when the rest of the days riding is calculated in.. I'll be doing 80 (ish) on the motorway but my average for the day will be lower..
Always interesting to hear the opinion of newer members, especially when the challenge the views of those who've been round a while.

Always interesting to hear the opinion of newer members, especially when the challenge the views of those who've been round a while.
I'm new to the Iron Butt stuff but I have owned and ridden a bike on the road since 1978.. I've done a few 12/14 hour days but the most millage was just over 700 miles, I don't remember the time, it was a few years back.. I'm not questioning anyone's ability to do this or their experience, I'm just agreeing with the organisers about the need for safety.. :)

I'm a speed junky, always have been, I like dangerous sports, I'm an ex rock climber and sky diver so it's not like I'm a pussy... :D and it's certainly not my intention to join a forum and offend anyone.. :rolleyes:

I'm new to the Iron Butt stuff but I have owned and ridden a bike on the road since 1978.. I've done a few 12/14 hour days but the most millage was just over 700 miles, I don't remember the time, it was a few years back.. I'm not questioning anyone's ability to do this or their experience, I'm just agreeing with the organisers about the need for safety.. :)

I'm a speed junky, always have been, I like dangerous sports, I'm an ex rock climber and sky diver so it's not like I'm a pussy... :D and it's certainly not my intention to join a forum and offend anyone.. :rolleyes:
You sound like a regular little action man. If you had been on here more than 5 minuites you would know a bit more about the history of the RBLR1000. when it first stated we had a much later start time that involved a lot of night riding. Glen Coe in the dark is not something I would recomend. The start was then brought forward which worked out a lot better in my view, and the 17 hour finish was in place letting riders finish at 10pm. There are only about 10 riders that finish between 17/18 hours all very expearianced and safe riders, so I don't really see a problem. I have done other SS1000's that could not be done safely in 17 hours (Iceland1000) and (Scooter1000) But as you say it's not my party so I suppose my input means nothing. It is an event I have enjoyed doing over the years but I will use this weekend riding elseware.

You sound like a regular little action man.
Stop it, you'll make me blush, all this flattery.. :oops: and like you say, I've only been here 5 minutes and you're at it with the compliments, maybe you should attend the weekend so we can get to know each other before you start hitting on me.. :eek::rolleyes:;);) (kidding, of course)

Anyway, I've changed my mind, I'm going to see if I can do it in 16 hours and 59 minutes, me being a regular little action man.. :p:cool:

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
7 out of 30 entries so far have pillions. A few years ago a member took his son Ben on the back and he was the youngest pillion ever at 11 years old. :cool:

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'll be solo.. All my kids have been pillion since they were 5 or 6, short rides.. my son was with me for the TT when he was 7. My girls have both been to France.. Last year, I took my youngest and my brother took my eldest..

BTW, I have some great, little used bike gear for kids if anyone is interested.. it's cost me a pretty penny kitting them out while they have been growing. not too bad now, my partner is the same size as my 19 year old daughter so they share the gear..:D

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Do many people ride two up? I can't imagine my partner wanting to do a 1000 miles non stop but she might ask if others do..
Sally does all the long rides I do on pillion including European rides to eat and Brit Butt Rally's want to do the European tour but she can't get time off

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Having watched trackday junkies spot in 2014, i just feel sorry for his bike....
At the end of the day, its doesnt matter who has done what, on what, with whom, the whole point of the rblr 1000 is to raise money for the british legion riders.
Which is a huge passion of mine.
If it takes you 35 hours and 59 minutes, so what! and a minimum time must be set, coz we can all go at a pace, (most of my friends didnt believe i could do 1500 mile in 24 hours, even less believe phils 3000 miles in 48 hours)
Anyway, ride safe people, and remember why the ride is organised, and remember, the people running it, all volunteer, and without them, nothing would happen.

Ridden it a couple of times, helped in the support Team so I do know what it's all about & I'm a member of both organisations.

I do however find it difficult when newer members advise we're wrong in our approach. A little time to learn something of the ideology before they blasted onto the scene and respect wouldn't go amiss ( & that's not being pompous).

But like many organisations we attract wannabes, who give themselves titles and comment on things without knowing all the facts. Shame but that's life I suppose.

Ridden it a couple of times, helped in the support Team so I do know what it's all about & I'm a member of both organisations.

I do however find it difficult when newer members advise we're wrong in our approach. A little time to learn something of the ideology before they blasted onto the scene and respect wouldn't go amiss ( & that's not being pompous).

But like many organisations we attract wannabes, who give themselves titles and comment on things without knowing all the facts. Shame but that's life I suppose.
Yer, bloody newbies, what are they like.. :rolleyes::D