Nesting, help me understand

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If I read this correctly, you started the first SS1K, the BBG, and the SS2K GOLD at the same time (when you obtained your start receipt in city "R"). You rode at least 1,000 miles within 24 hours to complete that first SS1K and continued on for 3 hours and 170 miles, whereupon you started the second SS1K in city "E". For those 3 hours and 170 miles, you were off the clock for SS1Ks but still on the clock for the BBG and SS2K GOLD. You then started and completed the second SS1K, the BBG, and the SS2K.

Assuming the above is correct, you used the first 1,000 miles for the first SS1K and a portion of the BBG and SS2K GOLD and you wish to claim all three certificates. But as I mentioned previously, everyone who completes a BBG and/or a SS2K GOLD has by definition completed an SS1K (as you did), so we could issue the SS1K or the BBG and Ss2K GOLD, but would not issue all three. You still are stuck with the choice of the Ides certificate or the BBG/SS2K GOLD certificates, but not both. So I'm not sure how that changes my earlier analysis.

This is why I hesitate to get into these discussions. My personal feeling is one ride, one cert. But that's just me.

As an aside, the issue of a 3,000-mile 50cc/3 SS1Ks is a completely different can of worms because a 50cc does not have a fixed mileage. But let's not even go there. o_O

I'll join you in that drink. :)

Ira

Last edited:
I'll join you in that drink. :)

Ira
Well, the 3 hours/170 miles was an example; my actual distance was shorter. I was using it as an example. The one thing I didn't want to do was to be on the road for nearly 72 hours. :)

OK, so you're saying I only get the two SS1Ks? Nothing else? Damn...I'm going to need a whole bottle to drown that sorrow. :(

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Well, the two SS1Ks plus the 12 Ides 1000 Insanity certificate, which was, I presume, your original goal.

Drink up!

Ira

Well, the two SS1Ks plus the 12 Ides Insanity 1000 certificate, which was, I presume, your original goal.

Ira
Yup...the 2 SS1Ks...I have not completed all 13 rides for the Insanity series yet (halfway there). The SS2K Gold was a goal and the BBG was a bonus.

OK, since we're talking two SS1Ks, is the certification fee $60 ($40 for the 1st, $20 for the second)? Not looking for any other merch.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I hate to say it, but no - the $20 fee is for a nested ride. We're talking two SS1Ks, not nested rides. So I'm afraid it's $40 each. :(

Ira

Redwing56

Premier Member
Hi all
So it sounds like it would be safe to say that on a 3,000 mile route it’s possible to earn three certs:
BBG1500
SS2K
SS3K
Sound right?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Well, I could spend the rest of my life replying to each and every question regarding the possible permutations and combinations of rides. That's why there is the basic rule, which should be simple enough for one to apply. But one more time.

In the above case, the questions to ask:

1. Is it possible to complete an SS3K without necessarily completing a BBG?
2. Is it possible to complete an SS3K without necessarily completing an SS2K?
3. Is it possible to complete an SS2K without necessarily completing a BBG?

Answers:

1. Yes, one can complete an SS3K without necessarily completing a BBG (e.g., one completes the first 1,500 miles in 25 hours, thus not qualifying for the BBG, but one does complete the SS3K within 72 hours). So one ride by definition is not completed within the other.

2. Yes, one can complete an SS3K without necessarily completing and SS2K (same as above - one completes the first 2,000 miles in 49 hours, missing the SS2K, but one does complete the SS3K within 72 hours). So one ride is not by definition completed within the other.

3. Yes, one can complete an SS2K without necessarily completing an BBG (same as above - one completes the first 1,500 miles in 25 hours, missing the BBG, but one does complete the SS2K within 48 hours). So one ride is not by definition completed within the other.

So if one completed the first 1,500 miles within 24 hours, the first 2,000 miles within 48 hours, and 3,000 miles within 72 hours we could award all three certificates.

In contrast, and just to show a ride that would not qualify, I present the Saddlesore 1000. If one were to ask similar questions, the answers would be completely different:

1. No, you cannot complete an SS3K without necessarily completing at least one SS1K.

2. No, you cannot complete an SS2K without necessarily completing at least one SS1K.

3. No, you cannot complete a BBG without necessarily completing the SS1K.

So one could not apply for the SS1K within a BBG, SS2K, or SS3K.

I leave any further ride analyses to the reader. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association