Saturday 11th June RBLR1000

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
You know as well as i do mike, in life you get people who sit back, quietly assess things, then may or may not comment, others who jump in feet first and announce themselves, and everyone inbetween.
And its coz of wannabes, i didnt buy my 4th GSA, my other 3 were awesome bikes, as is the new one, but they are now like opinions, everyone has them.

Like a lot of forums them that have been on longest seem to think they have more right to speak out than new members without actually finding out how much experience they have. New members are what keep forums going, seems some of you fear a little competition, no worries, there are other forums.. keep the rubber side down chaps, I'm out of here, it's a tad frosty for me.. play nice children.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Af1 you will fit in well here I'm sure. Past riding experience will help but ultimately we are all judged on the Iron Butt Rides we do and get verified.
We are all interested in safe Long Distance riding and have a very good safety record considering that the majority of the members ride higher than average mileages per annum.
Anyway why are we not out riding instead of talking about it.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Like a lot of forums them that have been on longest seem to think they have more right to speak out than new members without actually finding out how much experience they have. New members are what keep forums going, seems some of you fear a little competition, no worries, there are other forums.. keep the rubber side down chaps, I'm out of here, it's a tad frosty for me.. play nice children.
You are right about new members and we do everything we can to make new members welcome but you should also take the time to find out the experience we have too. Hope to see you at a Ride To Eat soon.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Entries are coming in all the time. If you can make it do come to this fantastic event for a good cause. Maybe this will be the year we can get 400 entries and beat the record set in the USA for the most Saddlesore 1000 ridden the same day.

flyingrasb

Premier Member
All I can say is I'm a newish member and I have been made to feel very welcome especially now that I've attended a few RTE. Thanks guys and gals. Oh yes I shall stick my entry in for this baby. My first Ironbutt was 2013 RBLR, did it in about 22 hours, I was just chuffed to bits I finished.

Bazza

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
ive been passing the word round, And i know to get iba recognition the 1000 need to be done in under 24 hours, but i think it should be possibly more advertised as 1000 in 36 hour, with special emphasis on in under 24. (It is to raise funds for the Royal British Legion after all)
Everyone i know is put off by the 24 hour bit. Too most of us, and to them once they have done it, 1000 mile in 24 hrs seems easy, but to the uninitiated its very daunting.
I have friends who tried it a few years ago, in their words they failed, as it took them 27ish hours, they wont try it again, as they feel like failures. (They did take pictures, long rest breaks, and rode as a large group)
Just remember people, some Bikes dont average 1000 miles a year, (i love playing lowest mileage/year poker in the bike mags)

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I know what you mean Mark. In the Detailed Instructions document there is much mention about no pressure to complete the rides in any time, together with more guidance and advice than in previous years for the very reasons you describe. BUT if you do the 1000 milers in less than 24 hrs . . . . .

That's another reason why I kept to Paddy's original plan and introduced a shorter 500 mile route. So far out of 37 entrants only two have chosen it, and they're both IBA members too :p

Here is an idea Mark. What about a 500m northern route and a 500m southern route. Then a 500 could be completed and depending on timing and how the rider is feeling they could then elect to do the other giving the 1000 in 24hrs, along with encouragement from the organisers and supporters at the crossover point, Squires. Just an idea, maybe 2017.

Be lucky, Iain.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Has anyone got photos or videos of one of the starts or perhaps a group coming in at the finish? I'd like to spice up the FB page a bit.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I know, how about a 100 mile route backwards and forwards across the M62 and you can keep riding that as many times as you feel you want to :p

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Everyone i know is put off by the 24 hour bit
You're right, we should encourage people to enter RBLR1000 even if not 1000/24 but I think we should all consider how we present 1000/24 rides to other riders.

I visited a motorbike accessories shop last week wearing my IBA UK fleece and was asked whether or not I had "done the iron butt". That was followed with a large selection of "how do you manage to sit still that long?", "lorry driver hours are restricted", "you must do a lot of speeding", "motorway riding is boring". Those are all common misconceptions, I hear them often. They arise from ignorance, imagination and rumours.

I try to focus their minds on the idea of only riding one tank at a time which, for a lot of bikers, means about 120 miles/two hours. I find that takes some of the heat out of their disbelief. I also get them to think about fuel stop efficiency, staying hydrated, wearing effective clothing. None of these things are silver bullets but they can help reduce "it's impossible - and dangerous" to "hmm, maybe".

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 500 mile route has been mooted for a couple of years by th RBLR to attract new riders. Anyone who finishes outside 24 hours will get a non iba certificate to recognise their achievement and give them some proof for their sponsors.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You're right, we should encourage people to enter RBLR1000 even if not 1000/24 but I think we should all consider how we present 1000/24 rides to other riders.

I visited a motorbike accessories shop last week wearing my IBA UK fleece and was asked whether or not I had "done the iron butt". That was followed with a large selection of "how do you manage to sit still that long?", "lorry driver hours are restricted", "you must do a lot of speeding", "motorway riding is boring". Those are all common misconceptions, I hear them often. They arise from ignorance, imagination and rumours.

I try to focus their minds on the idea of only riding one tank at a time which, for a lot of bikers, means about 120 miles/two hours. I find that takes some of the heat out of their disbelief. I also get them to think about fuel stop efficiency, staying hydrated, wearing effective clothing. None of these things are silver bullets but they can help reduce "it's impossible - and dangerous" to "hmm, maybe".
So true Bob. I also add that we follow the archive of wisdom and are well practiced in what we do.
What we do is obviously more dangerous than riding 3000 miles a year but we do have a good safety record for all our events because we prepare more, we wear the right gear ATGATT and are much more practiced than your average Sunday rider.

The big thing to emphasis is we know when to stop and how we need to rest thanks to Don Arthur's excellent article on motor cycling and fatigue.

Personally my worse accident was quarter mile from my house when a car pulled out in front of me and I broke my tibula. I was going for a Sunday morning ride. I've ridden around 100,000 iron butt miles over the years in rallies, rides to Eat and certified rides. It's a lot safer than treating the road as a race track like some do.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Entries are coming in all the time. If you can make it do come to this fantastic event for a good cause. Maybe this will be the year we can get 400 entries and beat the record set in the USA for the most Saddlesore 1000 ridden the same day.
Come on guys if your not riding how about offering you help at Squiers (both IBA and RBLR members) help will be needed from Friday afternoon till Sunday
Get back to me if you can help