Lighthouse Tour Requirements Clarification

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Does the IBA Ride Flag replace the Receipt for this tour ??

Willie
The rules read:

"Primary documentation is by photo with gas receipt showing you were in the area at that time or with your IBA ride flag (available from www.ibaestore.com under Miscellaneous) OR an imprint of the unique rubber ink stamps maintained at many lighthouse visitor centers."

So yes, your ride flag can replace a receipt.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

The rules read:

"Primary documentation is by photo with gas receipt showing you were in the area at that time or with your IBA ride flag (available from www.ibaestore.com under Miscellaneous) OR an imprint of the unique rubber ink stamps maintained at many lighthouse visitor centers."

So yes, your ride flag can replace a receipt.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
THANK YOU
Willie

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
I'm reviving this as I am about to partake this year.

Is the motorcycle or odometer not required to be in the picture to prove you did it on a bike. Or is it an honor system?

Thank you

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
I read it. I didn't see where it mentions a photo of the odometer or motorcycle. I will follow what others have done along with Spotwalla.

I was curious because if I were to take photos of the stamps only there is no way to prove I did it on a motorcycle. Unless, I am missing something!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If the rules don't mention a photo of the motorcycle or odometer (as an aside, I'm not sure what the point would be in recording one's odo for a certificate that can take a year to obtain), then it's a good bet that it's not required. :)

Yes, it is possible to cheat. The same can be said for virtually all of our rides. Even if we did require that your motorcycle be in the photo, you could have been driving around with the motorcycle in the back of a pickup truck and just unloaded it to take the photo. But what is the value in knowing that you obtained an IBA certificate in that manner?

Avi Azrieli

Premier Member
It's an enjoyable ride. I did the following and my ride was approved:
1. Take a photo of each lighthouse with your IBA flag and (if possible) with your bike in it.
2. Take a photo of each gas receipt with your odometer.
3. Keep a detailed log for all lighthouses and fuel stops. (I created a simple MS Word Table - see photo below)
3. Have GPS tracking, such as Spotwalla.

Here are photos of my log and one of the lighthouses. (I'm in Columbia, MD and have all the area's accessible lighthouses on my Basecamp, which I'm happy to share, too. Let me know - [email protected] )
IMG_6540.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 10.32.45 AM.png

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
Thank you for the replies. I fully intend to do this on the bike! It is an IBA ride that my wife will enjoy as passenger. I wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing towards certification.

@Avi Azrieli I'll send you an email. I'm in Virginia Beach. So this will be very helpful! Thank you for sharing!

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
> Primary documentation is by photo with gas receipt showing you were in the area at that time or with your IBA ride flag (availablefrom www.ibaestore.com under Miscellaneous) OR an imprint of the unique rubber ink stamps maintained at many lighthouse visitor centers.

- photo with gas receipt showing you were in the area at that time
- with your IBA ride flag
- an imprint of the unique rubber ink stamps maintained at many lighthouse visitor center

Pick one.

BkerChuck

Me thinks I might be over-complicating it. I was thinking the bike AND flag had to be in each photo......Might have to ride back south to get a couple I skipped.......Did manage to get 17 so far though in only our first trip out.

BkerChuck

Hope someone can point me in the right direction now. I joined the premier group thinking that might make submission easier but I'm not sure this challenge can be submitted this way. Used Spotwalla for each of the 6 trips we took, have all photos on Smugmug so they can be sent by a link like I did on the Pressed Penny Challenge. So.....how do I go about submitting electronically?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I've asked Howard Entman if this is one of the rides that can be submitted via the Premier email address.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Howard tells me that the Premier ride submission team will be happy to accept any IBA certificate ride. So proceed to submt it to the Premier emal address.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Slight tangent, but.. I'm sitting on a completed _basic_ Lighthouse Tour right now, and was thinking about extending it into a 2 year/120 lighthouse ride.. but that promptedd the question - if you submit a ride like this (1 year/60 lighthouses) and then fulfilled the requirements for the 2 year version... can you invalidate the prior ride in favor of the extended version? :thinking: