CT on K1600GTL

R

Roy Kjendal

Wondering if anyone has any experience/advice/opinions on putting a CT on a BMW K1600 GTL?

R

Roy Kjendal

Stephen, what kind of mileage are you getting from it? Did it fit on the stock rim? I heard that you need a spacer of some sort... what is that for and how can I get the specs for it/buy one? Are you happy with the performance of the bike with the tire? any down sides? What size tire are you using?

Thanks

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Stephen, what kind of mileage are you getting from it?
Way too early to tell. I just put it on last month and within a couple weeks, winter hit. From others' experiences with this one and based on our normal usage, I expect well over 20k (compared to 9k from a PR4GT)

Did it fit on the stock rim? What size tire are you using?
Yes. Stock GTL wheel. It's a 205/50-17. I had a very difficult time getting it on the wheel but I think it was a combination of insufficient lube and a weak tire machine.

I heard that you need a spacer of some sort... what is that for and how can I get the specs for it/buy one?
The spacer is there to move the tire over 3/8" to keep it from hitting the swingarm. Mine was a product of the combined efforts of Messers Meese and Azevedo.

Are you happy with the performance of the bike with the tire? any down sides?
Still getting used to it. Haven't been able to ride for over a month now. It is definitely not for everyone. It takes more effort to steer, it is more susceptible to undesirable tracking on certain surfaces, and can be a real bugger on a side slope... However, after getting past that, it will certainly be nice to go a whole rally season without plunking down another buttload of cash (and time) getting a new tire in the middle of the summer.

R

Roy Kjendal

Way too early to tell. I just put it on last month and within a couple weeks, winter hit. From others' experiences with this one and based on our normal usage, I expect well over 20k (compared to 9k from a PR4GT)

Yes. Stock GTL wheel. It's a 205/50-17. I had a very difficult time getting it on the wheel but I think it was a combination of insufficient lube and a weak tire machine.

The spacer is there to move the tire over 3/8" to keep it from hitting the swingarm. Mine was a product of the combined efforts of Messers Meese and Azevedo.

Still getting used to it. Haven't been able to ride for over a month now. It is definitely not for everyone. It takes more effort to steer, it is more susceptible to undesirable tracking on certain surfaces, and can be a real bugger on a side slope... However, after getting past that, it will certainly be nice to go a whole rally season without plunking down another buttload of cash (and time) getting a new tire in the middle of the summer.

Stephen,
Thanks for the detailed reply... very much appreciated
Roy

R

Roy Kjendal

Stephen, What are you using on the front and what kind of mileage is it giving you?

Thanks
Roy

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Stephen, What are you using on the front and what kind of mileage is it giving you?
Been using PR4GT but have never wore one through. Because of needing new tires before starting certain riding events that are known to use up tires pretty quickly, I've been changing them out before they were ready. I have over 9k on the one mounted now and probably have a few thousand more to go. I've got another standing by that had 5k on it when I took it off. I expect I'll be putting it on sometime this summer.

R

Roy Kjendal

That's great to know that you get such good mileage Scott. Always hear of folks getting 10 or less.... there is hope for more....!

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I got 20K on my rear PR4GT. I keep the pressure at 40psi
I am quite certain your riding style is polar opposite of mine. A passenger, 4.5 gallons of fuel on the rear rack, fully loaded bags, and 1000+ mile days will not result in 20k mile life span from a PR4GT regardless of how many PSIs you have in there... :)

R

Roy Kjendal

I would think that the mileage is more to do with how aggressively you twist (and brake) ..... just thinking... (maybe that's my problem...lol)

R

Roy Kjendal

Hey Stephen,
I just had to change my rear at 8k miles. I expect the PR4GT won't be much better so I'm ready to with a CT. do you have any more input on the Goodyear TripleTred? What size it it? Do you have contact info for Meese and Azevedo? I'd like to chat with Meese on his take on the CT experience and als see if I can get a spaceer......

Thanks
Roy

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Stephen,
I just had to change my rear at 8k miles. I expect the PR4GT won't be much better so I'm ready to with a CT. do you have any more input on the Goodyear TripleTred? What size it it? Do you have contact info for Meese and Azevedo? I'd like to chat with Meese on his take on the CT experience and als see if I can get a spaceer......
It's a 205/50-17. Since this is my first, I have nothing but a MC tire with which to compare. All you've heard about heavier steering pressure is true. As for the GY TripleTred its self, I am happy with its performance in the wet and on dirt roads but it does seem to have less braking grip than the PR4GT. When I do finally replace it in about 30,000 more miles, I'll likely look for something a bit more rounded. This tire looks a lot more rounded sitting on the rack than it does mounted on the wheel.

Best way I found to get in contact with Mr. Meese is on the k1600 forum http://www.k1600forum.com and Mr. Azevado on the LDRider list...

R

Roy Kjendal

It's a 205/50-17. Since this is my first, I have nothing but a MC tire with which to compare. All you've heard about heavier steering pressure is true. As for the GY TripleTred its self, I am happy with its performance in the wet and on dirt roads but it does seem to have less braking grip than the PR4GT. When I do finally replace it in about 30,000 more miles, I'll likely look for something a bit more rounded. This tire looks a lot more rounded sitting on the rack than it does mounted on the wheel.

Best way I found to get in contact with Mr. Meese is on the k1600 forum http://www.k1600forum.com and Mr. Azevado on the LDRider list...
Stephen,

Would that be 'Ernie' Azevado?

Kendoo

Premier Member
Roy, That Goodyear Tripletred is what I've been running on my ST. I've tried a few different CT's but this one is my favorite. 45K out of the last one and minimal "squirm" in the corners (way less than the Hankook V12 and Yoko Envigor). Highly recommended.

R

Roy Kjendal

Roy, That Goodyear Tripletred is what I've been running on my ST. I've tried a few different CT's but this one is my favorite. 45K out of the last one and minimal "squirm" in the corners (way less than the Hankook V12 and Yoko Envigor). Highly recommended.
Thanks Kendoo. I've heard some folks say that it is not 'rounded' enough...any feelings about that?I've heard some good things about the General G Max AS03 size 205-50-R17. as well.

Roy

R

Roy Kjendal

Thanks everyone for their inputs. I'm ordering a spacer and longer bolts and the next tire I mount will be the Goodyear Tripletred

Roy