Dan's gone Walkabout

Fatman

Dan seems to be having some dramas, he has been frequenting a lot of bike shops, Bunnings and truck depots in the last few days . Mt Isa, Alice Springs and now Darwin, hope all is well?
All good.. He got new tyres fitted today at a Darwin bike dealer, he had asked some transport co. for advice on road conditions in different areas. He is sweating it out in the high humidity of Darwin at the moment. I think his Spot may move again tomorrow.

Hi guys!! Dan is doing well (for better or worse)....

Yes been bashing around places trying to locate tyres, a couple of small odds and ends at Bunnings, talking to locals (Tanami Transport in Alice, etc) about road & track conditions. Must leave Darwin tomorrow (Tuesday) and am yet completely undecided on running the Tanami Road from Halls Creek to Alice or doing a BBG to Pt Augusta. Am open to comments...

Fatman....after you and I spoke, I did ring Alice Springs Aboriginal permit authority and NO permits are required to simply enter and leave Yuendumu. But one must obtain permits for overnight camping, etc.

Cheers guys (and gals)....Dan

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

Yes been bashing around places trying to locate tyres, a couple of small odds and ends at Bunnings, talking to locals (Tanami Transport in Alice, etc) about road & track conditions. Must leave Darwin tomorrow (Tuesday) and am yet completely undecided on running the Tanami Road from Halls Creek to Alice or doing a BBG to Pt Augusta. Am open to comments...

Fatman....after you and I spoke, I did ring Alice Springs Aboriginal permit authority and NO permits are required to simply enter and leave Yuendumu. But one must obtain permits for overnight camping, etc.

Good luck with which ever route uou choose. If you go for the BBG there is no fuel stops for the last 550 between 22:00-06:00. Also be extra aware of wildlife during that same last stretch to Port Augusta.
Which ever route you choose I will be watching.
Ride safe

Fatman

Dan the route you decide on probably depends on whether you want to be a "tourist" and have time to stop and look at the areas you are riding through or want to be on the clock with a Centreline 24 to Port Augusta.. I'm sure you will make a decision that suits, either will be interesting to watch on your Spot.. I dare say by the time I posted this you have already made your decision... ;)

Good news about no permit needed. :)

Safe riding up there..

Hi Vlad, there are actually (3) servos on the Tanami Road now. Two of which I understand are stations (quite some distance off the main road, I might add) that sell diesel and petrol on the WA side, and one in Yuendumu on the NT side.

I had 53 liters with me (20 of which was in jerry cans) and made it easily from Halls Creek to Yuendumu with no fuel stops, even with taking a 40km side detour to see the Meteor Crater at Wolfe Creek.

Cheers
Dan

I would think fuel to be the biggest consideration on the tanami rd. I believe there is only one servo between Halls and the Alice these days.