Fool's Gold 2019

John ZRX

Quite possibly, SF, but there's another couple of weeks to go so we can't underestimate their capacity to f### it up some more so good to have a back up plan.
If I do this I would be starting M5 Somerset and go anti-clockwise, maybe Swansea first , then head M4 east to M25. That should get me to the Clacket Lane point around 5am just before rush hour. With that in mind I'm leaning towards missing Folkstone anyway and heading North straight away. Back in the soutwest I'd have to pass my start point on the M5 to continue to Cornwall (including extension to Hayle) so should be in a position to decide to call it a day and submit a ss1000 or press on to do the whole thing, depending on time remaining.
The RTE Dambusters on 23rd should give an idea of prevailing conditions on M20 which we can share.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Kent best avoided at the moment. Not only do we have Op Stack planned for any Brexit upheavals, it's on at the moment for the high winds, and just to make matters interesting, they're closing the M2 off as well all weekend, between Sittingbourne and Favarsham, for essential repairs.

Expect gridlock.

John ZRX

Kent best avoided at the moment. Not only do we have Op Stack planned for any Brexit upheavals, it's on at the moment for the high winds, and just to make matters interesting, they're closing the M2 off as well all weekend, between Sittingbourne and Favarsham, for essential repairs.

Expect gridlock.
Thanks for the input. Sort of makes my mind up for me for the Fool's Gold. Next Saturday's run to the tunnel looks like it could be interesting but trusting our flight commander

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Quite possibly, SF, but there's another couple of weeks to go so we can't underestimate their capacity to f### it up some more so good to have a back up plan.
If I do this I would be starting M5 Somerset and go anti-clockwise, maybe Swansea first , then head M4 east to M25. That should get me to the Clacket Lane point around 5am just before rush hour. With that in mind I'm leaning towards missing Folkstone anyway and heading North straight away. Back in the soutwest I'd have to pass my start point on the M5 to continue to Cornwall (including extension to Hayle) so should be in a position to decide to call it a day and submit a ss1000 or press on to do the whole thing, depending on time remaining.
The RTE Dambusters on 23rd should give an idea of prevailing conditions on M20 which we can share.
I start at Gordano and go Swansea then Plymouth and anti clockwise. If you do sometime like come south on M5 M4 Swansea shortest route would be be through mid wales and will show as a shorter route.

John ZRX

I start at Gordano and go Swansea then Plymouth and anti clockwise. If you do sometime like come south on M5 M4 Swansea shortest route would be be through mid wales and will show as a shorter route.
Thanks for the tip, Phil. My dabbling with Basecamp came to the same conclusion, taking the trip down to 1502 miles, hence the "maybe", as I have yet to insert refuel points which might go to prove a longer way round. I am finding this planning stuff, getting the timing in place to avoid snarl ups, while not corrupting the distance, is quite challenging yet oddly rewarding

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
The 50 limits west bound are already in place with the cameras. Eastbound is OK at the moment but when they flip the eastbound traffic onto the westbound carriageway the outbound (coast bound) leg will get significantly longer.

Sleekit Fkr

I notice that the routing apps, using the shortest route have you leave the M25 to the M3 then jct 3 to M4 jct 10.

Forcing the route to miss this adds 8 miles & 5 mins. In terms of miles particularly this could make the difference.

Any advice on how this is managed assuming verification will use the shortest route.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Verification uses the shortest route you list. Its normally quicker to stay on M25 and M4 as it misses the lower speed limit roads, roundabouts and traffic lights. The routing app doesn't give enough extra time for these stoppages on the shorter route.

Sleekit Fkr

Verification uses the shortest route you list. Its normally quicker to stay on M25 and M4 as it misses the lower speed limit roads, roundabouts and traffic lights. The routing app doesn't give enough extra time for these stoppages on the shorter route.
Kinda thought this as it’s what I’ve done in the past. My route has been “shaved” to 1504 from 1528. It could be the difference between success and failure!

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
If you plan your route and then get it pre verified. Ride the plan and use the fuel stations/receipt points you list. You will have covered the required minimum distance. (As in the RBLR)

The important distance is the shortest one between all your receipt points. This is the only one that matters.

Your actual route should be the quickest way between the receipt points. This may be longer than your 'calculated shortest distance'.

Shortest could be 10 miles along a single track road with passing places (20-25 minutes). Quickest could be 15 on a motorway (12 minutes).

Hope this helps and doesn't come across as too preachy.

Sleekit Fkr

If you plan your route and then get it pre verified. Ride the plan and use the fuel stations/receipt points you list. You will have covered the required minimum distance. (As in the RBLR)

The important distance is the shortest one between all your receipt points. This is the only one that matters.

Your actual route should be the quickest way between the receipt points. This may be longer than your 'calculated shortest distance'.

Shortest could be 10 miles along a single track road with passing places (20-25 minutes). Quickest could be 15 on a motorway (12 minutes).

Hope this helps and doesn't come across as too preachy.
Yup, get the point. Not preachy, clarity ;)

All set from me then!

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Just to let you all know, this afternoon I've checked the amended route proposed by Bill (AKA Sleekit Fkr) and it's fine - it is coming up as 1,518 miles on Shortest, around 1,560 on Quickest.

Regards,
Martin

John ZRX

I've been on this thread a few times seriously considering giving it a go. I've really liked the selfless help and sharing of routes and other info. Reluctantly, and after my ride last weekend to the Ruhr, I've decided I'm not fit enough and it's too risky. I've been having a left knee problem since last Christmas which was gradually improving until the weekend before the Dambusters when it got injured again. It seemed manageable by the Thursday so I set off for Scunthorpe intending to see how it went. Decided to cross the Channel and was generally OK while on the bike but progressively worse when straightening and bending it. Became really difficult to get off and on the bike from either side and coming to a halt became an issue requiring a lot of concentration and effort. Have a NHS appointment for some physiotherapy in May by which time the leg will have probably fallen off.
So - good luck and happy trails to all doing this challenge. I hope to see some Spotwalla links to follow jealously.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Completed it in 23 hrs. Route was Gordano, Plymouth, Perth, Dovet, Swansea, Gordano. I planed it on the shortest route via Newcastle but rode the quicker route down the West coast and A66 along Adrian's wall. I also used the M20 rather than A2 M2
Total stopped time was 1hr 24mins over 1524 miles at 71mph moving and 67mph overall.