Bluetooth headsets

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I have a Sena SMH-5, and if I'm listening to music the battery only lasts 5-6 hours. I suppose if I only used it for navigation and calls it would last longer, but it still seems like a problem for multi-day rides and rallies. What do y'all do?

(And yes, I know we all rode for decades without these things and somehow we survived.)

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
We plug our SMH-10s into a 10,000mAh battery that sits nicely in our jacket pocket. During the IBR we charged the batteries one time for a few hours during a rest bonus. Other than that, the external batteries kept them running the entire time. We stream XM or Tablet (Music/Podcasts) non-stop. If it starts raining REALLY HARD we'll unplug them until we get out of the worst of it... Unplugged they'll last about 6 hours.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Interesting. Any tips for managing the battery cable so it doesn't snag or hang up on stuff?

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
We have "cell phone" pockets in our jackets. They are well protected but outside the main zipper. Perfect fit for the batteries. It's a short shot to the Sena and has never been an issue getting tangled in anything. Keep most of the 3' cable tucked into the pocket and just enough to allow full range of motion hanging out. We've been running like this for about five years.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
These are the batteries we use with our SMH-10s. Good for several days in a row 18-20 hours a day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LMW77C8

Edit: Actually these seem to be a newer revision. What we have don't have a built-in light... I do have their 20,000mAh that I use in the field for charging phone and tablet on job sites but it's too big to carry in the jacket. During the IBR it kept my cell phone charging in the tankbag.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Many thanks! Exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.
I guess the only question I would have is if the SMH-5 can be used while charging like the SMH-10.

Note that we start each day with them connected to the battery rather than waiting for the battery to get low before connecting them. That way if we do encounter a heavy rain we can unplug them and still have six hours left before they go dead. We only actually unplugged them one time during the IBR. During that time it rained so hard my boots filled with water from the top from a leak in the crotch of my pants. :eek:

Jesse

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I’ve also ridden with my SMH-10 plugged in. But for a few years now I’ve had a second unit plugged in and charging in the glove box. When one dies I switch. I find this preferable to dealing with a charge cord though I keep one handy just in case.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I’ve also ridden with my SMH-10 plugged in. But for a few years now I’ve had a second unit plugged in and charging in the glove box. When one dies I switch. I find this preferable to dealing with a charge cord though I keep one handy just in case.
The only time the charge cord even comes into play for us is when we take off our helmets. Since that typically only happens once a day, it's really no big deal. :D