Witness form.

Hope this is in the right place.

Start witness forms. If you could not get some one at the start point to sign your witness form e.g. servo is there any other way to get one?
My example is this. For insurance sake, my missus signs witness form at home just before I ride out, ride approx 45 minutes across town to starting point (servo.) and get start receipt. Would that be acceptable? I could start at a local servo but it would be too difficult to document/verify my trip across the city. Ride is SS1600

Thanks

Brookester

Premier Member
Yep that is perfectly normal to do..only here in Aus it has been thought it had to be at the servo at the start which is not the case...all the ride rules state witness can be anyone prior to and post ride within reasonable timeframe of start and finish

Thanks mate for the reply - much appreciated. It's just some times people are cagey these days on what info they give out. I would only ever expect anyone to give out work address and phone number not their personal. Sometimes its even hard to explain to people what we are doing.

Anyone been refused a witness signature?

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hope this is in the right place.

Start witness forms. If you could not get some one at the start point to sign your witness form e.g. servo is there any other way to get one?
My example is this. For insurance sake, my missus signs witness form at home just before I ride out, ride approx 45 minutes across town to starting point (servo.) and get start receipt. Would that be acceptable? I could start at a local servo but it would be too difficult to document/verify my trip across the city. Ride is SS1600

Thanks
Yes mate thats fine.
Remember the clock starts and stops on your docket time. The witness is validation that your start was at this place and your finish was at this other place and the dockets between are what join the dots.

My wife signs for me as I leave here. I travel 31km to my bank in town and pull a start docket. Hit 0 on the trip and ride off.
At the end I pull the finish docket and have a nice fresh finish witness form. This form might be signed off hours after the finish of the ride or at the same place the last docket was obtained. EDIT: BP Port Pirie beside the silos has been signing my finish witness forms on and of for almost 10 years

Your second post. Yes once Large. Tailem Bend. I had finished my ride. Ordered a feed and sat down to my documentation and enjoyed my coffee and meal and chatted with the staff. It stuck me that these guys and girls seem fine and been chatting away. So I asked if perhaps they might help with the finish document. All very open and honest.
Nah nah nah.
Thats ok I said its not anything more than a simple question and Its fine if you dont feel comfortable.
Left it at that. Set up camp in the srub lined verge just along the exit and as the sun rose a waitress from the previous nightshift spotted me and came over to ask if I still needed the form signed..
How cool is that?

So Large you got something planned mate?

Last edited:

Skidoo

Premier Member
. . . I would only ever expect anyone to give out work address and phone number not their personal. Sometimes its even hard to explain to people what we are doing.

Anyone been refused a witness signature?
There are occasionally challenges getting a witness (to sign) at servos. I have never had an issue but sometimes I have to pick the moment when they are not too busy. When I explain what Is required and why, to counteract the look of disbelief/stupidity I suggest it's fine to use the business address and contact details as long as there is a reference to who signed (initially) the form.

Sometimes this is safer than waking SWMBO at 03:30 and asking, 'dearest can you singn my witness form' o_O

Thanks again for all the replies, I knew witness form didn't have to be signed at the start point servo but my concern was the time between witness form and getting start docket. (too long?) Ride will finish at a place with servo unattended but 24 hour card access. Maybe scope to keep going to next major town but will depend on time permitting Town also has pub so should be able to get a witness there and even a back up end docket.

Gatey, going to Wilcannia tomorrow, rusty iron butt, planned on attending and do uncert SS1600. Had some saddle time recently with the Border run and a personal FarRide for Davo to Wilmington earlier this month so I'll go on the clock for Wilcannia.