k1600 gt

Ian M

does anyone run one of these - warts and all review would be nice?
appear to be a lot of bike for a reasonable cost and if its not upgraded to EU5 may a good buy as bmw might look to shift EU4s

i did look at an H2 SX, the 30 000 service at £1900 has put me off so i may go to the dark side

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Had three of them (GT'GTL' B) there great bikes with a fantastic engine and In my opinion for mile munching with weather protection and creature comforts there isn't much better out there.
They are a little more expensive to maintain than the others in the BMW range and you will need a Russell Seat if your going to spend a full day in the saddle. ( I just happen to know a man that has one for the GT :))
275 tank range even more if your steady.
Radio package isn't worth paying extra for as you can't hear it over 60 mph you have to spend big on an amp upgrade.
They are a big item to lug around on the small roads that you can find on some of the bonus locations on rally's but not impossible.
I'm on a K1600 B at the moment and find the lowered seat height a big help without causing any discomfort .
Plus the B has the foot boards to stretch out on .
Beware if you have a test ride you will fall in love with that engine ! its phenomenal and worth the price of entry on its own,

Ian M

thanks

i have not had time to look at one

i did have an RT on test for two days in the summer but gave it back after a day - it just wasn't me but i was open mined enough to give it a go
handled like a roller skate and easily outclassed the zzr but just couldn't filter like i can on the zzr
and even with the seat in the lowest positon in standard trim i could only just touch the ground

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Hi Ian,

Try the RS. I had a 1200 RS for almost three years; 26,000 miles, and absolutely loved it. The combination of the low and midrange torque of the boxer engine, and the more sporty riding position and handling, made it a phenomenal bike. As for filtering, I suspect it may be that you think you can't filter as well because of the sticky-out heads; I've gone from RS to GSA, and can filter fine on both - unless I've got both aluminium panniers on the GSA, anyway!

Regards,
Martin

Ian M

yes i have seen those - lots of write-up in the press just now

following an accident last week, i need something lighter to be able to pick up so perhaps not a 1600gt

Ian M

i found out today you cannot buy a k1600 due to a full-scale recall for gear selector issues

is sat on one but even if it wanted to, i could not buy as they wouldn't sell it to me until its been recalled

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Never mind Jon, I'm sure it'll be just fine; surely a BMW would never let you down?

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Never mind Jon, I'm sure it'll be just fine; surely a BMW would never let you down?
Have to say Bob it would be the first time ! keeping fingers crossed ,

But you're not down for the Swiss ERTE
I am going Gordon and meeting you guys in St Diz Friday.
I have to be home for a doo Sunday. So if the weather is ok I will go to the rte then turn around and come home through the night. If its pissing it down all day I may well just head back from St Diz .

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Have to say Bob it would be the first time ! keeping fingers crossed ,

I am going Gordon and meeting you guys in St Diz Friday.
I have to be home for a doo Sunday. So if the weather is ok I will go to the rte then turn around and come home through the night. If its pissing it down all day I may well just head back from St Diz .
Good to see you in St Diz. The game was probably worth watching live :)

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
After 30.000 mls, I can confirm that IMHO this bike comes close to the concept of 'perfection'. As many test reports claim, it is difficult to find something to criticize. The German magazine MOTORRAD does a very systematic (it's German, eh?;)) and thorough test procedure called the "1000 points test". The K1600GT was tested in 2013 and still has the highest score ever recorded (769/1000). In the meantime, it underwent some optimisations and is and even better bike now...;)
Score 1000 points test 2001 - 2019

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
After 30.000 mls, I can confirm that IMHO this bike comes close to the concept of 'perfection'. As many test reports claim, it is difficult to find something to criticize. The German magazine MOTORRAD does a very systematic (it's German, eh?;)) and thorough test procedure called the "1000 points test". The K1600GT was tested in 2013 and still has the highest score ever recorded (769/1000). In the meantime, it underwent some optimisations and is and even better bike now...;)
Score 1000 points test 2001 - 2019
So long as the tranny doesn't lock up while going down the road...

:rolleyes:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Sounds like a potential Corporate Manslaughter charge if someone dies as a result. Knows of risk and potential consequences and allows it to continue. Reads like a much more dangerous fault than the suspension fault they recalled all the bikes for a few years ago.

70 mph lane 3 of SMART motorway when rear wheel locks............

c10

A great friend has a 1600GT , and received the recall letter on the trans . Nothing like a $30,000 garage paper weight with no parts made as of yet to repair the issue . 1 year out at least . Very sad not to mention the GS series rear diff issues .

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Well, I was informed by my dealer, exchange of transmissions starts in December. They really play it safe here (and they should!), but to put it in perspective, there have been only two reported cases world-wide. Although the potential issue is much more serious, compare this with the leaking final drives of the Boxer models...now that I think of it, my 11S transmission disintegrated once during a rally...no blocking though :confused: