IBA member statistics

Who is the keeper of IBA member statistics? I need to know, among other things, members motorcycle(s) by make (# and/or %), members age, if known, number of countries represented by over 75,000 members. Membership is over 75,000, what is the number today?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Who is the keeper of IBA member statistics? I need to know, among other things, members motorcycle(s) by make (# and/or %), members age, if known, number of countries represented by over 75,000 members. Membership is over 75,000, what is the number today?
Has your ride been verified yet and, if so, what are your stats?

The last statistics I have seen date to 2007. More than what was published at that time is rumor for me. I would like to know what I don't know.
The Iron Butt Association (IBA) has been nominated to the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame. I have sent my letter of support for this nomination and am asking that you, too, send a letter supporting the inclusion of the Iron Butt Association in the Sturgis Motorcycle Hall of Fame. Send your letter of support to The Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame, attention Sarah, 999 Main Street, Sturgis, SD 57785. Sarah's email address is [email protected] You do NOT need to be a member of the Museum to weigh-in on this nomination, so please do so! This year there are many nominees and competition is the name of the game.
In 1984, 10 riders rode the first Iron Butt Rally. There are now over 75,000 members in the IBA. I have been riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles since 1963. I rode my first Iron Butt Association certified ride in 1996. That year I was the first Harley rider to do an IBA certified ride of over 1600 miles in 24 hours. In 1996 around 1% of the Iron Butt Association riders rode Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Today I believe more than 60% of the IBA riders ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles. There is a decline in motorcycle ridership, but the Iron Butt Association is growing rapidly. Overall, the average age of motorcyclists is getting older, but the average age of Iron Butt Riders is getting younger.
Please send your letter of support to Sarah at the Sturgis Museum. IBA #214

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Perhaps it's in your best interest, Dan, to forward your request to @Ira and let him...y'know, the Communications Director for the IBA, to weigh in on your request - http://www.ironbuttrally.com/about/adjutants.cfm

From prior discussions held elsewhere, the actual number of members isn't exactly 75,000+. I will allow those in the know to disclose that methodology in this thread if they choose to do so.

As far as what @bobthekelpy mentioned above, a better representative view might be the entirety of the Iron Butt Rally statistics: https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm

Finally, as far as this statement "Today I believe more than 60% of the IBA riders ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles." While that may or may not be true, my suspicion is that for the basic SS1000, I'm not convinced that's accurate. The Bar-and-Shield brand probably has a significant percentage, but I would not expect it to be a majority (greater than 50%...) of those completing certification rides.

Luck to you on your research...and my letter of support will be sent shortly. Thanks for letting us know!

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What kwthom said. There are multiple verification teams, each assigned a block of numbers at intervals I am not privileged to know. Just because a member # 75000 has been issued, (has it?), does not equal 75k members.

Pay no attention to what's going on behind the green curtain. What's important is that the system functions. Sturgis is a nice place to visit, outside of that couple of weeks when it's packed with moto tourists. BTDT Best wishes to the museum. Not sure if the IBA is interested or not, as I do NOT speak for them. But I humbly suggest you are asking for far more info than you should expect to receive.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I don't think there really is a keeper of the statistics, although Dave McQueeny keeps some numbers related to the IBR as noted above.

Although the ride finishers list is online, it really can't easily give you what you're looking for - it contains a list of all of the certified rides so some folks are listed more that once (in some cases, a lot more than once).

Your best best is to see if Mike can help out with the Sturgis thing if he isn't already involved.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Perhaps it's in your best interest, Dan, to forward your request to @Ira and let him...y'know, the Communications Director for the IBA, to weigh in on your request - http://www.ironbuttrally.com/about/adjutants.cfm

From prior discussions held elsewhere, the actual number of members isn't exactly 75,000+. I will allow those in the know to disclose that methodology in this thread if they choose to do so.

As far as what @bobthekelpy mentioned above, a better representative view might be the entirety of the Iron Butt Rally statistics: https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm

Finally, as far as this statement "Today I believe more than 60% of the IBA riders ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles." While that may or may not be true, my suspicion is that for the basic SS1000, I'm not convinced that's accurate. The Bar-and-Shield brand probably has a significant percentage, but I would not expect it to be a majority (greater than 50%...) of those completing certification rides.

Luck to you on your research...and my letter of support will be sent shortly. Thanks for letting us know!

Thanks, this is most helpful.
I did come to the conclusion that I could use the Rally statistics, they are readily available.
I'll forget the H-D #.
Thanks again, I appreciate your comments.
Daniel Stephans
IBA #214

I don't think there really is a keeper of the statistics, although Dave McQueeny keeps some numbers related to the IBR as noted above.

Although the ride finishers list is online, it really can't easily give you what you're looking for - it contains a list of all of the certified rides so some folks are listed more that once (in some cases, a lot more than once).

Your best best is to see if Mike can help out with the Sturgis thing if he isn't already involved.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks, Ira.
I have asked Mike for some help :)