iPad Usage

Great ideas. I was planning to get a Spot. I don't see myself going to places without cellular service but I like the idea of carrying it on my person just in case the worst happens and I get separated from my phone.

I have grown to really like Google Maps for it's real-time traffic and, most recently, their inclusion of Waze-like (well, Waze really since Google bought them) speed trap and accident reporting but have always worried about becoming separated from my phone in an accident. I don't like the idea of fiddling with the gadgets though so a 2nd device set to whatever I need at the moment (weather or whatever) seems to make sense.

PS - I hope you all don't think I'm hijacking this thread. I think my questions are pertinent because the 2nd device I'm considering could be my wife's old iPad mini. :cool:

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's been a while since I used Waze but when I did it seemed to use a lot of data. I find the CoPilot service to be sufficient for my needs. It is just as up to date as Google Maps. Living in Virginia you get used to not having a radar detector and thus get used to going no more than 10 over. I plan my rallies around that. So far (knock on wood) knowing where speed traps are hasn't been an issue. I also play close attention to what other cars ahead of me are doing. I'm always looking for the rabbit. If they hit their brakes, so do I.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great ideas. I was planning to get a Spot. I don't see myself going to places without cellular service but I like the idea of carrying it on my person just in case the worst happens and I get separated from my phone.

I have grown to really like Google Maps for it's real-time traffic and, most recently, their inclusion of Waze-like (well, Waze really since Google bought them) speed trap and accident reporting but have always worried about becoming separated from my phone in an accident. I don't like the idea of fiddling with the gadgets though so a 2nd device set to whatever I need at the moment (weather or whatever) seems to make sense.

PS - I hope you all don't think I'm hijacking this thread. I think my questions are pertinent because the 2nd device I'm considering could be my wife's old iPad mini. :cool:
Before you buy do your research. Garmin has the Inreach which is similar. It's more expensive but provides the ability to send and receive messages when there is no cell service. The new Spot X (I think that is the name) is similar. Both offer month to month service where the older Spots require an annual service.

Also, if simply looking for something to signal when you need help consider a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) They would be for an emergency rescue only and offer no communication capability other than the SOS signal. I am not aware that there is any service fee for those. For what it's worth, I am considering getting one to keep on my body and leave the Spot on the bike.

I found this on REI's website regarding tracking systems and PLBs

Oh, yeah. I wrote Spot but I was thinking Inreach. I want two-way comms via text-like messaging in order to know that help is on the way and so that my wife can make sure I don't stop at any, eh, "establishments of ill-repute". Haha.

EPIRBs are fine but it could be hours and hours (probably true in either case I guess) with no way to know whether help is actually coming. Of course, this assumes I'm somewhere with no cell service which is fairly unlikely. I have no desire to ride the Canadian Tundra or go to Prudhoe Bay or anything like that.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Oh, yeah. I wrote Spot but I was thinking Inreach. I want two-way comms via text-like messaging in order to know that help is on the way and so that my wife can make sure I don't stop at any, eh, "establishments of ill-repute". Haha.
So no rallies in Nevada?

4929.jpeg 4930.jpeg 4931.jpeg

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

EPIRBs are fine but it could be hours and hours (probably true in either case I guess) with no way to know whether help is actually coming. Of course, this assumes I'm somewhere with no cell service which is fairly unlikely. I have no desire to ride the Canadian Tundra or go to Prudhoe Bay or anything like that.
Personally I'd feel more comfortable with a PLB as it isn't a private company monitoring the system. However the comfort of getting a response is well worth it and preferable