Entries now open, hurry up

Ian M

my brother is thinking about doing a ride, possibly 500 miles which is good as he's really just an occasional weekend rider so if he does, I'd ride with him so i wouldn't be able to assist

also there is no 1500 run on the web page or is that "under the counter"?

Hi all, I’m taking part this year, is there any ‘training’ anyone can recommend please? The most I have ridden is a spirited 350mile ride on a zx6r on very twisty roads in a few hours, and to be honest that was knackering. I appreciate this is a completely different type of ride so any tips on how to get some practice in would be very much appreciated. Ta

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
Hi all, I’m taking part this year, is there any ‘training’ anyone can recommend please? The most I have ridden is a spirited 350mile ride on a zx6r on very twisty roads in a few hours, and to be honest that was knackering. I appreciate this is a completely different type of ride so any tips on how to get some practice in would be very much appreciated. Ta
https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/newriders.php

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ride on all weathers to test your kit, take several rides of several hundred miles up motorways, figure out how to not waste time at fuel stops (practice then). get used to snacking/drinking at stops(no big meals)

It is definitely not "spirited riding", On a long ride that is not only tiring but dangerous. Settle into what pace you are comfortable with. That could be slower than others but with more effecient stops you'll get there in the same time.

Ride on all weathers to test your kit, take several rides of several hundred miles up motorways, figure out how to not waste time at fuel stops (practice then). get used to snacking/drinking at stops(no big meals)

It is definitely not "spirited riding", On a long ride that is not only tiring but dangerous. Settle into what pace you are comfortable with. That could be slower than others but with more effecient stops you'll get there in the same time.
Thanks for the tips, I was thinking of breaking it down into 10 times 2 hour segments, 90 mins to do ~100miles then 30 mins break (my tank range is about 160-180miles). Is is better then to just push on and or bank time early while your fresh? Thx

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Lose those 30 minute breaks. All those do is to destroy your momentum. You want a steady, sustained, pace :- Ideally ride one tank at a time so in your case 150 miles, probably three hours. Practise 10 minute fuel/comfort stops. You need to be riding, not stopping. Learn how to avoid cramp and discomfort on your particular bike, exercise while riding, etc.

Lose those 30 minute breaks. All those do is to destroy your momentum. You want a steady, sustained, pace :- Ideally ride one tank at a time so in your case 150 miles, probably three hours. Practise 10 minute fuel/comfort stops. You need to be riding, not stopping. Learn how to avoid cramp and discomfort on your particular bike, exercise while riding, etc.
Thanks, I've modded by bike and have very comfy gear as I commute for 2*1.5 hrs each day in all weathers (except snow) tho I was wondering about the momentum aspect so thanks for the tip, I plan on doing a 500 then 750 mile practice run in My so I'll try and see how quickly I can turn around a fuel/pee/snack/smoke stop. Just one other question, I'm riding the North Clockwise route, are there any sections I should be very cautious of? Cheers Steve

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks, I've modded by bike and have very comfy gear as I commute for 2*1.5 hrs each day in all weathers (except snow) tho I was wondering about the momentum aspect so thanks for the tip, I plan on doing a 500 then 750 mile practice run in My so I'll try and see how quickly I can turn around a fuel/pee/snack/smoke stop. Just one other question, I'm riding the North Clockwise route, are there any sections I should be very cautious of? Cheers Steve
Just keep to the speed limits and the flow of traffic motorways

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Today Iron Butt Member Gareth Moses was our 100th entry.
If you all bring a friend along we will have 200 entries. :D:D

rolf-arne

Premier Member
Hey all - have to say that you`l only 99 - I don`t see how I will get by all the closed borders - cause to the epidemic Corona... so for now most of my activities is put up to 2021.. sadly so it is.:mad:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We are hopeful that the RBLR1000 will run as planned.
If the ride is cancelled we will refund the entry fees

Hi

How late can you be to sign up ? as corona virus lock down may be extended which is a shame also I cannot find my IBA membership number can some one send this out to me please.