Spot or iPhone

lnelson

Premier Member
I see SpotXs are on sale. I use my iPhone and Spotwalla and it works great. The only problem is data cost outside of the USA. So convince me I should buy a SpotX?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Your iPhone will not be able to call for help if it's broken from a crash or out of cell service, or no service if not roaming out of country/no local sim card. The spot is not only durable, but doesn't require cell service and works gloabally with no need for cell plans or sim cards, you can also (and should) attach it to your jacket to have accessible in a get off. Those are the top considerations. Spot service is $$$ but if you need rescue it is worth every penny.

Also a spot will ping it's location until batteries die which can be as long as two weeks.

If you just want to track your routes, not concerned with the need to call for emergency rescue and are not riding in the IBR anytime soon then your phone will do just fine so long as it has cell service.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you go places that you have no cell phone coverage you will like having a SPOT device. It is surprising how many places there are still with out cell phone coverage. I live in western North Carolina and we have no cell phone coverage.

lnelson

Premier Member
If you go places that you have no cell phone coverage you will like having a SPOT device. It is surprising how many places there are still with out cell phone coverage. I live in western North Carolina and we have no cell phone coverage.
Thanks Greg, I've seen the Spotwalla store up well over an hour worth of points when there wasn't any cell service and then log them when back in cell coverage. From what I understand the Spot unit uses Spotwalla also to do its thing.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Greg, I've seen the Spotwalla store up well over an hour worth of points when there wasn't any cell service and then log them when back in cell coverage. From what I understand the Spot unit uses Spotwalla also to do its thing.
Yes, I think most devices will store up location positions and send when they get coverage again.

My concern is if you are using Spot or your cell phone to call for help or an emergency.

Spot will pretty much work every we ride and transmit a message for help even when not in cell phone coverage.

If you only use Spotwalla for ride tracking then a cell phone is good enough.

Dann

Some Garmin devices have the "Garmin Tracker" App ( Like the BMW NAV VI ) which allows you to report your location, follow others or let others follow you.

Since it has to connect to the Smartphone link App, I assume it needs cell phone coverage.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Remember that Spot is not Spotwalla. Spotwalla is a free independent service hosted by a single person. Spot has their own user interface. The IBR usually sets up a specific Spotwalla page for the IBR riders and you sign up and create a specific trip for that time period, giving that link only to the IBR staff, with full access to all data.

If you're looking at the Spot X and presumably the InReach as well, compare the service plans and make sure you fully understand the costs and plan limitations. The device cost is not what you'll be bitching about later.

If you are going to do multi-day rallies, eventually you will encounter a rally that won't accept your cellular device. Or it will cost you points when it doesn't ping for hours. If you're really riding all over, get a satellite device.

The difference between your phone and a satellite device is that your phone gives you a false sense of security and the satellite device gives you a real level of security should something bad happen.

But does the phone needs data?
Yes.
The Nav VI doesn't have any way to connect to the outside world except through your phone's data connection (other than having a GPS receiver and Bluetooth). If that connection is lost, then so is its ability to send your position...or even to get traffic and weather updates for that matter.

So while the phone is useful in like 99% of many LD rides, the Spot does have its purposes.

BTW, I did use the "Send My Position" feature on the Nav VI and didn't really think much of it. I used it once and none since.

Dann

Yes.
The Nav VI doesn't have any way to connect to the outside world except through your phone's data connection (other than having a GPS receiver and Bluetooth). If that connection is lost, then so is its ability to send your position...or even to get traffic and weather updates for that matter.

So while the phone is useful in like 99% of many LD rides, the Spot does have its purposes.

BTW, I did use the "Send My Position" feature on the Nav VI and didn't really think much of it. I used it once and none since.
Thanks for the info.

It will be useless to me then since I don't have a data plan on my Cell phone

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So while the phone is useful in like 99% of many LD rides,
That was good for a laugh. Thanks. :)

Let's just say that varies widely, depending on your location and your rides. If you're just doing cert rides and sticking to major interstates, your statement is true. If you're doing rallies, it's not the case. If you're off the interstates and especially out west between the Sierras and the Rockies, it's very often in areas of limited cell coverage, if any. Even on major interstates out West you run into areas of no cell coverage. The one time I would have called the RM during the '13 IBR, I had no cell coverage. I was on I-80, if memory serves, somewhere in WY.

If you're doing some of the less interstate named cert rides like the Great Lakes or Why to Why Not, Heaven to Hell, etc you will often be in areas of no cell coverage. And some of those rides require Spot trips to confirm your route since there are no convenient receipt locations. (Badwater, Mt Evans, etc.

Just consider what type of riding you are doing or want to do. If you're just doing basic cert rides and enjoying that, then the Spotwalla via cell phone might work just fine for you.

lnelson

Premier Member
So, this is what I have learned from reading posts here and other forums, plus related websites:
  • Garmin has the best satellite system with the best coverage.
  • Spot has a really good satellite system which is superior to cell service but not quite as good as Garmin’s.
  • Cell phones have a much less coverage plan than Garmin or Spot no question.
  • Spotwalla is an app that runs on your cell phone, receives information from any of these three resources (Garmin, Spot, or cellphone) and plots your route for you and anyone else you want (IBA, friends, or family for example). Spotwalla is used by the IBA.
  • Spotwalla will post or store information sent to it and will post it automatically when cell coverage is available. Truly an amazing program; BUT it relies on cell phone coverage and data plans to post the data.
Summary: If money is not a factor, then a Garmin InReach and a cell phone with the best coverage nationwide should be your choice. Now that being said, cost is a factor which includes the cost of the device and the various device service plans. Is this be pretty much correct?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Not quite. Spotwalla is not an app on your phone or anyone else's phone. Spotwalla is a secure personal location manager that supports a wide range of satellite and cell-based tracking technologies. You create an account at Spotwalla and register your device and type in order to sync it there.

The main difference between Spot's own interface is that Spotwalla saves everything functionally forever. It offers other benefits. It can be used with Spot devices, Garmin InReach devices or your cell phone via other apps like Bubbler GPS, SWConnect or gibby Trips, etc.

Your satellite device or cell phone app is pushing pings to Spotwalla.

Bottom line, what do you want tracking for?

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
  • Spotwalla is an app that runs on your cell phone, receives information from any of these three resources (Garmin, Spot, or cellphone) and plots your route for you and anyone else you want (IBA, friends, or family for example). Spotwalla is used by the IBA.

Close....

Spotwlla is a website that gathers tracking data from various sources (SPOT, Bubbler, SWConnect, etc) and makes it available for future viewing.

• Spotwalla will post or store information sent to it and will post it automatically when cell coverage is available. Truly an amazing program; BUT it relies on cell phone coverage and data plans to post the data.
It is the various apps and devices that send the data to the Spotwalla site. Some directly, some via a third part provider. Currently the list of supported devices is:

• APRS Device
  • Bubbler GPS for Android
  • Garmin/DeLorme inReach
  • Email
  • Generic Device with GPX Support
  • gibbyTrip for iOS
  • INMARSAT Communications Device
  • SPOT Personal Tracker
  • SWConnect for iOS
  • The Wirie pro Device
The list can always be found at: https://spotwalla.com/help/devices.php#supported

Not all of them rely on cell signal. SPOT, for example, is sent via satellite to the SPOT website, from which SpotWalla will poll the data via Internet. Absolutely no cell signal needed to get your position data from your SPOT device to the Spotwalla website.

lnelson

Premier Member
Stephen! your last paragraph now makes sense for this whole discussion. I assume Garmin and Spot both send there data directly to Spotwalla bypassing the cellular networks. Which makes them much better than a cell phone.

While it's definitely true you can run into areas of the US when your cellphone loses its data connection, that doesn't mean that your track won't appear on Spotwalla. The app (BubblerGPS on Android) on your device still reads GPS info from your device regardless of a cell data connection. When that connection is reestablished, all stored data is sent up to Spotwalla's servers.

But as mentioned, when your cellphone loses signal, you won't be able to call for help or such, which is why people like to carry these other tracking devices with them.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The other point to be made is that if you are into competitive rallies, some require that they be able to track you in near real-time. So if you are using a cell-based app and are out of cell range such that they cannot track you, you won't meet the requirement even if the data shows up in Spotwalla at a later time. Not as much (if any) issue with a satellite-based system like SPOT.

Ira