Sportster transfer tank

Tep_52

Premier Member
I found on my Ultra Classic that the vent is one way so you will have to disassemble it if you want fuel to go in. Basically the gas cap allows air to go in the vent allows air to go out

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking at adding a transfer tank to my 15 Sporty. I don't think I will have any luck with a gravity feed so I'm looking to add a small pump from a 2.5 gallon tank. Plan to tie in to the vent hose and pump in to the tank as needed. Any suggestions appreciated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Low-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-For-Motorcycle-12V-Carburetor-EP-02-ATV-Carb/331349423755?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Wow, I knew if I held my breath I'd see another Sportster rider here!

Be happy to discuss options with you, I have an 06 and 07 Sporty and run the aux tank on the 06. I have it setup so I can run on my 07 as a backup but need a pump for the last gallon or so. I had a bung welded in the bottom of a spare tank but had considered going with the vent. My aux tank is 6 gallons and gravity feed works for the first 5, but just slightly faster than the bike burns the fuel so I am looking at the low fuel light the entire time which makes me nervous

The vent line that comes out of the bottom of the tank runs through the tank and is in the filler neck of the tank. I was always concerned that 1) I would not have a good enough seal on the cap and 2) that running it that full may result in an overflow. However, I do know a few Ultra riders who made the vent.

Be happy to chat on the phone with you if you wish

JAORE

Premier Member
Interesting. I have a 2016 Road Glide Ultra that I've used on IBA rides. But I just got a 2014 XL1200C with 2,070 miles (plus 210 or so for the ride home).

I got it for quick local rides. But.... well you know. The bug bit and, at least, a SS1000 attempt is in her future.

I'm WAY away from an aux tank, but the farkling plans are firming up. She is almost dead stock except for a wind screen and detachable bags (both H-D) Gonna need a better seat and lights before any IBA ride on this one. I'd love to hear from other Sporty folk on their farkle priorities and choices.

Wornout

Premier Member
Interesting. I have a 2016 Road Glide Ultra that I've used on IBA rides. But I just got a 2014 XL1200C with 2,070 miles (plus 210 or so for the ride home).

I got it for quick local rides. But.... well you know. The bug bit and, at least, a SS1000 attempt is in her future.

I'm WAY away from an aux tank, but the farkling plans are firming up. She is almost dead stock except for a wind screen and detachable bags (both H-D) Gonna need a better seat and lights before any IBA ride on this one. I'd love to hear from other Sporty folk on their farkle priorities and choices.

Ive done some IBA rides on my 14 Ltd. Planning to start light with a SS1000 this weekend on the Sportster. Mine is a 15 1200T with factory bags and WS. Have a Mustang solo seat with backrest. It rides surprisingly well.

Ive been all over the country on my nightsters in the past 10yrs but attempting my first 2 ss1000 's at the end of the month and I'm bit nervous about the adventure , I went the opposite way I'm on a cozy Roadking now not sure I could get back on a Sportster but loved the time I spent on them

Wornout

Premier Member
Ive been all over the country on my nightsters in the past 10yrs but attempting my first 2 ss1000 's at the end of the month and I'm bit nervous about the adventure , I went the opposite way I'm on a cozy Roadking now not sure I could get back on a Sportster but loved the time I spent on them
Did a SS1000 5-31 on my Sportster and it went very good. When your getting tired a 600 lb bike is much easier to deal with.

Sportsterpaul

Just to add to the Sporty’s abilities I’ve done 5 SS1000’s on my 2006”R”. Never doubted the the capability of the bike just my own. First run, around Lake Huron, put to rest my reservations of my limitations. The last, a 19 hour boogie from Lansing, Michigan-to New Orleans with a detour through the “Tail of the Dragon” returning home to Michigan gave me 2,500 miles in three days a rewarding feat for an old man. Having met and befriended my hero MR. Chris Comly, a real road warrior, who occasionally lowers his standard and allows me to share some road becomes immensely satisfying. I believe his 2006”R” has exceeded 270,000 miles.

Wornout

Premier Member
Just to add to the Sporty’s abilities I’ve done 5 SS1000’s on my 2006”R”. Never doubted the the capability of the bike just my own. First run, around Lake Huron, put to rest my reservations of my limitations. The last, a 19 hour boogie from Lansing, Michigan-to New Orleans with a detour through the “Tail of the Dragon” returning home to Michigan gave me 2,500 miles in three days a rewarding feat for an old man. Having met and befriended my hero MR. Chris Comly, a real road warrior, who occasionally lowers his standard and allows me to share some road becomes immensely satisfying. I believe his 2006”R” has exceeded 270,000 miles.

Just saw a FB post where Chris hit 273K. Maybe we can all meet up some day.

Sportsterpaul

A meet up would be good and congratulations on your Sporty SS1000.
My Sporty’s have traveled 47 States and most of Ontario, probably 330,000 miles the last 19 years.