Aux fuel tank setup - couple questions

cougar

Afternoon all

Thought I'd post this here rather than the tech section of the site as what I'm really after is some tips/advice on where the best place is to get required fittings locally in Australia/Melbourne

Currently setting up an aux cell on my Rocket3, I've read all of @OX-34 's advice on plumbing aux tanks in various threads and am aiming to connect to the existing vent line rather than drill the bulkhead and have a transfer pump. The aux will spend more time off the bike than on so I'm trying to set it up for quick fit/removal

The aux is a 10l rectangular aluminium unit. Mounting is pretty straightforward and I've got a setup in an old tailbag to hide it away nicely whlen fitted up. It will site where the pillion seat usually is, bolted to a seat pan and rear rack mounting points. The outlet on the aux tank will be about 50mm lower than the input into the main tank, with the vent point at the top of the aux tank 50-70mm higher than the top of the fuel tank before rnning my vent line

I need to source a fittings, a quick disconnect and gate valve and would prefer to buy local rather than wait who knows how long for items to come from OS. Adding to this is being in Melbourne I can't currently wander into Repco or similar with bits in hand and talk them through what I need

If anyone can recommend where to buy fittings I'd be thanksful, also any tips if I may have missed something?

Pete 59018B38-1777-4389-B31F-BB48F738732D.jpeg DAF1AAC1-271B-49F8-9B71-BC4C9ED76D0E.jpeg F4E5DFE3-65D1-4756-A121-6ADDE428FBA6.jpeg

Pete, If you going to run the aux into the main via the vent line be sure to vent the aux tank otherwise you'll become a short distance rider.

Or, you could put a bulkhead in the fuel pump plate and still gravity it in with a quick coupler under the seat, it'd be just as easy and really nearly no different in cost.

cougar

Pete, If you going to run the aux into the main via the vent line be sure to vent the aux tank otherwise you'll become a short distance rider.

Or, you could put a bulkhead in the fuel pump plate and still gravity it in with a quick coupler under the seat, it'd be just as easy and really nearly no different in cost.
Aux tank is vented. I wasn't sure if it would still gravity flow via a bulkhead fitting - that would be preferable as it removes the need to be strict on filling procedure etc to avoid an airlock

Good advice (again!) - thanks

@Fatman thanks - hadn't even thought of them...

Vlad

Premier Member
Earls performance at Padstow in NSW will have everything you need , an6 fuel parts in anodised aluminium are not inexpensive. They
will ship to you overnight.
You have probably read on here in other threads that BMW do a set of perfectly serviceable quick disconnects for about 90 bucks, I have used them for the last 130000 k with no issues. Available at you local BMW dealer.
Fuels taps can be cheap or exe, the Earls one is just drop dead gorgeous and so is the price, but again no issues.
Engine Master Australia in Wagga are Aeroflow dealers and have a good online shop that delivers promptly as well.

Frog

Premier Member
IBA Member
you may need to be careful with your fuelling procedure on days above 25deg if you are not running a none return valve (which would require a pump) or tap in the supply line to the main tank.