Night lights and custom brackets

Getting the bike ready for my first ss1000. First bit is night riding lights. I have a 2008 Yahmaha FJR1300. I remove both mirrors. Mock up 304 stainless 2"X 1/8" flat bar. Cut bend and weld. Drill mount holes .prep and paint. Install lights and level em out. Nilight brand from Amazon. Just need to wire the electrical rocker switch,and fuse. Super happy with the look. 16035054516962994067924172061097.jpg

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I installed a mini toggle switch to allow me to shut off the aux lights that were tied to the high beams. Just put it inline with the trigger wire from the pink(?) high beam wire and the relay. I tucked it inside the fork well on one side since I didn't need to get to it while riding, just wanted it as an option.

No need to access the switch wiring at the bars. Power from aux fuse block or batt with inline fuse to relay, power to lights from relay, ground to chassis for lights, ground for relay, then high beam wire to relay for 12v trigger.

That's a good looking install. Where are you planning on heading for your ride?
Good question. Before it gets to cold. Maybe interstate I 10 East. Or North I15 to 395 . But I wanted to get an Aux fuel tank first. And would have to pick one up out of state . Because I can't get one shipped here. Looking forward to a SS1000 . OR Spring.

paulcb

Premier Member
IMO, you don't really need an aux tank for an SS1000. It can be done without too much effort in 15-17 hours, stopping every 200-250 miles. An aux tank would probably only reduce your stops by 2 at most, i.e. only saving 10 minutes or so.

CB650F

Premier Member
Paul is right. There's no way I could make 250 miles on a tank. I typically stop every 150 for fuel even though I could probably stretch it a bit farther. On my SS1000s, I took about 18.5 hours including one nice long sit down meal to relax and recharge and one or two quick Waffle House type meal. The 24 hour time limit is the easy part. The 1,000 miles is the hard part.

I don't think you need an aux fuel tank, but I'm not going to discourage you from getting one. They are useful. Heck, I even have one in my pickup truck. It hurts the wallet to fill up with 100 gallons of diesel, but it's so nice when towing. Extra fuel has it's benefits.

IMO, you don't really need an aux tank for an SS1000. It can be done without too much effort in 15-17 hours, stopping every 200-250 miles. An aux tank would probably only reduce your stops by 2 at most, i.e. only saving 10 minutes or so.
Something to concider. If many people don't use aux tanks because of 15 minutes shaved off then not a necessary to even bother with it. Thanks Paul.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Aux fuel has other benefits. For a basic cert ride, no, it's not necessary at all. For endurance rally use, it's very helpful to be able to get gas when you want to instead of when you need to. After that, in touring mode, it eliminates some fuel stress when you're in Alaska, Eastern Oregon or other wide open places out West. You can just get gas when it's convenient, rather than having to start looking for gas at 200 miles, (or what ever your benchmark is).

One of my HD friends did several cert rides, SS1K and BB1500 levels, on the tiny stock tank on her HD Softail Slim, but she was very clear that no way she would try a BBG on that bike w/o aux fuel. Just too many gas stops. Every bike is different. The Feej has a big tank and good range. And mpg doesn't drop like a rock over 80 mph either.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Good idea MtyQuinn.
The bikes looking good mate and Im sure your itching to get out on your current route plan.

Ive built 5 IBA style bikes for myself and a couiple for others.
One of the great things I've taught myself on each new bike (and got more comfortable with) is just going with what I have and at some point along the route just pondering and learning the bike.
Your time fitting up lights etc is time spent familierising yourself with the guts iof the bike as you know. Im sure some place in the night as your bombing along you will start to think about the next farckle.
That's what makes a new bike build last as it evolves and is so much fun.
Enjoy it. Well done.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
I would forget the sit-down meals. I used to think, "I've got 24 hours, I have plenty of time to have a few sit-down meals". But then I learned that if I have a sandwich out of the cooler or a slice of pizza instead, I can finish sooner before I get too tired. I learned that on a BBG attempt that I had to terminate and instead just did a SS1K in 16.5 hours. It was nice getting back home by 11:30 pm and getting a good nights sleep.

Last edited:
The adventure will happen. Work has been very busy. I plan on spring.
Cool. I'm still very much a rookie at this, compared to the experiences of the guys and gals on this forum. I completed my first SS1000 in Sep. 2020, and starting to plan my next. At least one a year until I retire, then we'll see what the future holds ...

Best to you in your plans. We look forward to hearing of your accomplishment.