Should I replace the GL1800?

igneouss

Premier Member
What bike should I buy?
It’s about time to retire the HondaPotomous. Most recently I finished the Covoid MD2020 rally on that bike (did just fine, thanks). But as I thought about the various things that could have gone better a lot of it came down to weight. All up in rally mode it has to be pushing 1000lbs. So now I am wondering how much better life would be if I could find a decent rally capable bike that weighs enough less to justify the pain of switching to a new bike…

My current bike: 2006 GL1800. Highly reliable and highly ‘farkle-able’. Pretty well dialed in.

Replacement considerations:
Reliability
Weight
Rider wind protection
Long distance comfort
Farkle-ability
Cost

When considering stuff I tend to think of the IBR as a test lab.

Shaft vs chain? Chains have improved in recent years. Maybe they are no longer a giant liability in LD situations. Not sure about this but if a chain driven bike checks a bunch of other boxes, I’d consider it.

A partial? List of contenders. Looking for input here. The IBA is the place where lots of people have solve this puzzle.

BMW: The 1600 bikes are out. While they are great bikes, why move from one 1000 pound bike to another?
The 1250 bikes are interesting. The R1250RT checks a lot of boxes but cost is an issue. The GS/GSA are similarly contenders but cost and protection are concerns. Also, not sure these bikes are enough lighter to justify the switch.
Note that there is an 850GSA. Interesting. Chain drive. Has some range without an aux tank.
All BMWs have maintenance interval issues and cost issues (both purchase and farkles). That said, since the bad old days of final drive problems, BMW has recovered favored status among IBR riders – statistically speaking.

Honda:
The NT700V (used obviously) looks interesting. Kind of a 400lb lighter Goldwing.
Africa Twin. Kind of a GS/GSA by Honda so less expensive and longer service intervals.
CTX1300 bikes check some boxes but they are heavy.

Yamaha:
FJRs are what they are. Solid LD bikes but really not that much lighter than a GL1800. Also, not sure they can easily be made comfortable for 6’1” rider.
Super Tenere. Another Africa Twin/GS/GSA type bike. Might get the nod for reliability and functionality over the Honda and BMW variants.

I’m sure there are other bikes and look forward to hearing how everyone else has solved this problem. While I hate to say it – keeping the HondaPotomous might be the answer. Thanks in advance...

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
If you don't mind lack of character, I don't find that the Super Tenere does much wrong. With a good aftermarmet saddle, it kind of disappears from underneath you. Claw hammer reliable.
I know Paul Pelland bashed the snot out of two of them for over 300,000 miles with what he admits was minimal and infrequent maintenance. Imagine how they'd fare with routine maintenance!

In my experience, people attribute the word "character" to traits that would ultimately drive you nuts after a long day. ;)

If I weren't riding my Wing, I'd be on a Super Tènèrè.

igneouss

Premier Member
Shawn,
My concern about the FJR is making it fit. I get the impression that it would require a lot more money than other options to make it comfy. Maybe I'm wrong. Look forward to hearing from riders that have experience with this.

2006 GL1800 dry weight - 919 lbs.
2020 FJR1300 wet weight - 635 lbs. (31% less)

Source: www.motorcyclespecs.co.za

If I were in your position and absolutely had to get rid of the Gold Wing, I would go Super Tenere.

MarkG

Premier Member
I have the K1600GTL and it fits me very nicely. However, the GTL's are prone to overheating and my '16 did it more than once. My new '21 is supposedly better, fancier, and it appears the overheating problem might still exist. The fan comes on earlier in slow traffic and the temperature drops but the bike is still new with a clean radiator. Unless somebody knows otherwise taking it apart is the only way to clean the radiator. From past reports I'm not so sure it would be good for rallying in hot temperatures. While the GTL fits me it is heavy and difficult to pick up when it's dropped. I wouldn't mind something lighter but the wife is riding with me more often and don't want to be cramped, eventually I will need to downsize.

A good site to help with possible fit is https://cycle-ergo.com/ It does save running all over the place and discovering a potential ride doesn't work.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I gave up chains a long time ago and have absolutely no desire to go back. I plan to be on a Wing for a long I (we) spend a lot of time 2 UP. If I was looking for something lighter it would be one of the Sport Tourers FJR, ST 1300, or Concours. Which one would probably depend on the deal.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I learned to run the high gears early on. From what I've seen so far I think the 2021 will handle the heat better.
After having huge overheating problems on the way to the '17 IBR start, I knew I had to find a solution. I considered adding an auxillary switch to turn on the fan early when I recognized the conditions that would lead to the dreaded red flashing triangle.

Before I could get that far, I started experimenting with using taller gears in slow-hot situations. My reasoning was the less sparks per minutes, the less heat being created. The '12GTL still has enough throttle response (before BMW neutered them) and low-end torque to run as slow as 25mph in 6th gear with no problem rolling out from there. It worked great and I dismissed the aux fan switch.

We ran the entre '19 IBR and saw the red triangle only one time when I momentarily forgot to gear-up getting stuck in traffic. Even the ride to the top of Mt. Evens only saw the temp guage reach 6 bars. Not even enough to fire up the fan. Any time we are >25mph and not necessarily wanting to scoot away in a hurry, it is in 6th gear.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm actually surprised to hear of a BMW flagship bike having problems like that.

Not slagging on BMW. I mean I'm genuinely surprised that BMW would tolerate that.

It makes me glad that I have my GL. I've never had a bike with such phenomenal temperature control, both for the engine and also for the pilot. I've ridden in 100 degree southern heat, and I've never seen my GL go above half-way on the coolant temp, and I've never felt more than maybe 5 degrees above ambient at worst. My ST1300, GL1200, and CB900C were like riding inside a pizza oven by comparison.

Auburn

Premier Member
Shawn,
My concern about the FJR is making it fit. I get the impression that it would require a lot more money than other options to make it comfy. Maybe I'm wrong. Look forward to hearing from riders that have experience with this.
I'm 6'2" and rode a 2006 FJR, mostly 2 up for 12 years. It has plenty of adjustments. I did lot's of farkling. Suspension, seats, handlebar system, modified gas 9.6 gallon tank, dash, canyon cages, highway pegs to name a few. New ones have cruise control built in. I could easily ride all day 2 up with no issues. (it's pictured in my avatar)

I went the opposite way, I picked up a 2006 GL1800 and have modified it to fit me. Suspension (Traxxion full monty), Heli bars, LED lighting for everything, seats, Kennedy Electronics comm mods, etc.

The FJR tends to be on the sporty side of Sport Touring, where the GL1800 is more on the touring side. With my mods, the GL1800 is now more like the FJR, with better wind protection and rider comfort.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I'm actually surprised to hear of a BMW flagship bike having problems like that.

Not slagging on BMW. I mean I'm genuinely surprised that BMW would tolerate that.

It makes me glad that I have my GL. I've never had a bike with such phenomenal temperature control, both for the engine and also for the pilot. I've ridden in 100 degree southern heat, and I've never seen my GL go above half-way on the coolant temp, and I've never felt more than maybe 5 degrees above ambient at worst. My ST1300, GL1200, and CB900C were like riding inside a pizza oven by comparison.
Riding the bike the way it was intended (WFO) at all temps is not a problem. We have ridden for hours at a time in temps exceeding 109°F and the coolant temps were just fine. It is when you ride WFO for some time immediately followed by a situation where you are going real slow. If you keep the RPMs up above 1500 (like being in 2nd or 3rd gear below 30 mph) for the slow section, the engine is just creating way more heat than the radiator can dump with the amount of air the fan is pulling. It does not help that the fan is not triggered until the temp gauge is already at 70%. By then it is already getting pretty hot. To manage the heat, all one needs to do is keep the RPMs lower (less than 1500) during the time that there is little speed induced airflow through the radiator.

Not ideal, obviously, but certainly easily managed and not a deal-breaker by any means.

igneouss

Premier Member
Which would you prefer for one-up LD riding?

I'm 6'2" and rode a 2006 FJR, mostly 2 up for 12 years. It has plenty of adjustments. I did lot's of farkling. Suspension, seats, handlebar system, modified gas 9.6 gallon tank, dash, canyon cages, highway pegs to name a few. New ones have cruise control built in. I could easily ride all day 2 up with no issues. (it's pictured in my avatar)

I went the opposite way, I picked up a 2006 GL1800 and have modified it to fit me. Suspension (Traxxion full monty), Heli bars, LED lighting for everything, seats, Kennedy Electronics comm mods, etc.

The FJR tends to be on the sporty side of Sport Touring, where the GL1800 is more on the touring side. With my mods, the GL1800 is now more like the FJR, with better wind protection and rider comfort.