In-state SaddleSore 1000 Routes

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Dave,
Thanks for the info! I knew about Warchild's ridiculous accomplishment, but had not seen back to back in-state SS1000 rides anywhere. I'm sure I'll be good to go, if I can just get to the end of this school year... it's a killer.
Thanks!

(ridiculous in the most admiring sort of way... I can't even imagine)

Rony6ble

Premier Member
What about the longest month at http://www.ironbutt.com/rides

The Longest Month... (30 or 31 days - 30,000+ Miles)

Name State Date Motorcycle Mileage/Days

Senator Dave Zien Eau Claire, WI 07/05 H-D FXRT 31,068 31
Michael LaDue Seattle, WA 05/03 Honda GL1800 30,681 30
Phil Mattson Creston, IA 07/01 H-D FLHTCI 30,603 30
Bill Newton California 09/99 Honda ST1100 30,279 30

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
How cool would it be to stay somewhere near the Four Corners, such as Cortez, and do 4 In State SS's and see some beautiful scenery while at it.

gramps
The routing challenge alone that makes it possible to return to the same location three times - after the start and end of the ride in the state you started it in - impressive, I'd think.

The routing challenge alone that makes it possible to return to the same location three times - after the start and end of the ride in the state you started it in - impressive, I'd think.
I planned a route......just for fun......in all 4, but probably will not do them. For the Arizone SS I would have to ride 118 miles from Cortez, CO to Kayenta, AZ in order to get the first computerized receipt. Then continue on to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon etc. etc. But the high country scenery would be worth the ride. IMO

gramps

Slasher

Premier Member
My first in state saddlesore was in Tennessee back in 2012. The planning on that one was pretty easy because the state is roughly 500 miles from one end to the other. After that I did the Full Court 1500 gold which was entirely in the state of Florida. That one is pretty easy too since its just over 1500 miles around the periphery of Florida (don't forget the panhandle). I have been working on the planning for a Kentucky SS1k and its not nearly as straight forward as the previous two... lots of required road changes and choices but, like others have said... that is half the fun!

Here's a route for an in-state SS1000 for Oregon. I like to use Google My Maps and make one layer for gas stations and rest areas and then a second layer for the routes. I break them up into distances between gas stops. You can save from My Maps to a *.kml file and import into BaseCamp to send it (and all the way points) to your Garmin GPS.

Link to map >> https://goo.gl/8f7TDR

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
I have planned routes for AR, MS, & TN that I hope to do this year. I need two more non-insanity rides for the mile eater silver.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
After my Virginia ride in 2015 didn't qualify due to a short side trip through West VA, this year's Tour of Honor ride for Virginia was completed entirely in-state.

upload_2016-6-6_13-12-22.png

Becca

Premier Member
Could be fun to plan at least. Do I really have to go to work tomorrow? I'd rather do this. :p

Here's a route for an in-state SS1000 for Oregon. I like to use Google My Maps and make one layer for gas stations and rest areas and then a second layer for the routes. I break them up into distances between gas stops. You can save from My Maps to a *.kml file and import into BaseCamp to send it (and all the way points) to your Garmin GPS.

Link to map >> https://goo.gl/8f7TDR

Burns to Lakewood has a stretch over over 100 miles (from memory) that has no services. Be prepared.
--Chelsea

Burns to Lakewood has a stretch over over 100 miles (from memory) that has no services. Be prepared.
--Chelsea
Yup, nothing between Burns and Lakeview. My safe range was about 200 miles on a tank so I filled up in Burns and again in Lakeview. Planning ahead for gas stops takes a lot of the worry out of the ride. I am adding an auxiliary tank to my Tenere to give me an extra 4.8 gallons though. That should give me more options for gas stops in the future.

;-)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Could be fun to plan at least. Do I really have to go to work tomorrow? I'd rather do this. :p
"Plan the Ride, then Ride the Plan!" :D

It does make for a good lunchtime diversion, from time to time - especially while looking at the pictures in the Iron Butt calendar at the same time!

Howard Entman

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
There are some in-state rides that are part of the IBA ride library that also have a 'special' theme--the routes trace the borders of the state. These rides include the Ride Around Texas (RAT), the Lap of Florida (LAP), and the Ride Around Georgia (RAG). Special certificates are available for these rides.

If any rider can come up with a ride (and ride the route for certification) like these--an in-state ride that traces the boundaries of the state without going outside the state--perhaps we can get that ride put into the IBA library.

Howard Entman

Becca

Premier Member
Last edited:
snip...

If any rider can come up with a ride (and ride the route for certification) like these--an in-state ride that traces the boundaries of the state without going outside the state--perhaps we can get that ride put into the IBA library.

Howard Entman
I did this in-state SS1000 in Oregon in September of 2015 as my first SS1000 and another rider just used it successfully last week for his first SS1000. It's a great route with a mix of Interstate for making time and empty rural roads in wide-open southern and central Oregon. I"m the author and would be proud and happy if others would find it useful.

https://goo.gl/8f7TDR

Now off to check out that RAT route!

;-) Paul

Look at this for a BB1500 for Oregon. Anyone venturesome enough fo a BBG on this route?

https://goo.gl/exaY80
Howard
That run up the coast on 101 is going to be slow going. You might schedule that part in early morning hours but then you'd have to worry about drunks and deer.

It might be more fun to plan an OR-WA route where you could stay away from populated areas. If the main goal is to stay in Oregon, then you might need to cross the state a few times E>W and W>E to get in the miles.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Because I was curious ... http://mapq.st/28ZUB4D.

Now I almost feel compelled to do other state clusters - the lure being staying at a single hotel for multiple nights so as to not have to check-in/out or lug luggage. :)
Nicely done with MapQuest (didn't know it'd do that...)

Now, for your info, I think there's 24 hr gas in Ganado, as well as in the Window Rock/Ft. Defiance area. Make sure you're on the AZ side of the line, though up in that part of the state, it may not be clearly marked (but accurate on your GPS). I'd scout it in advance just to be sure. Since these are establishments on reservation lands, it can be a bit sporadic on information (or lack thereof...) in those regions.