Return from Marree

sixty6north

Ever since I picked up my BMW GS Adventure bike, I have had a desire to go to Lake Eyre. I had one failed attempt as part of an IBA “Heaven to Hell” ride (highest point (Charlotte Pass) to lowest point (Lake Eyre South) in less than 24 hours, but I also wanted to get out to the Flinders Ranges and Lake Eyre just to have a good look at the amazing scenery.

On the Oodnadatta Track

I had set aside some time in mid July for such a ride and when I mentioned it, a couple of people expressed an interest in coming along as well. So, three of us decided to set off down the Hume Highway and across to South Australia for an adventure for a few days.

I met Rod at the Menai Caltex and we headed down the Hume Highway to the maccas at Sutton Forest where we would meet Wombattle who was travelling from Newcastle.

After some breakfast and a coffee, we headed south on the Hume making good time until we peeled off at Gundagai to get a photo of the dog on the tucker box. A quick break here for a photo and stretch before heading on to Gumly Gumly for fuel and a snack.

The Dog on the Tuckerbox

The weather was cool but fine and very good conditions for riding.

We pressed on heading west, stopping at Hay and then a quick stop at Hells Gate for another photo opportunity. We continued through Mildura and eventually to Renmark where we stopped for the night. After organising accommodation, we were off to the Club for dinner and a beer and a chance to reflect on the day.

Hells Gate

Friday morning and we were up early, departing Renmark in the dark with local temperatures around 2 or 3 degrees. We stopped at Burra for breakfast which was very welcome as temperatures had dropped to sub-zero in the early hours. After breakfast we had a quick look at the old mine before heading on to Peterborough and Hawker.

The old mine at Burra

Our original plan was to find accommodation in the Flinders Ranges national park (for example, Rawnsley park Station, or Wilpena Pound, but following some advice from an acquaintance of Wombattle, we decided to stay at the Hawker Hotel and go out for the rest of the day riding through the Flinders Ranges and some gorges before returning to Hawker for Friday Night Pizza Night at the Hawker Hotel . . . washed down by a couple of cleansing ales.

Route planning at the top of Pugilist Hill in the Flinders Ranges

Saturday morning saw us up in time to get some pie-warmer food at the Hawker service station for breakfast (nothing else open). We fuelled up and headed north past Pugilist Hill following the main gravel road up to Arkaroola. Once there, we sorted out our accommodation in the Hotel, had a light lunch and unloaded the bikes ready to explore the nearby trails. We did this for the remainder of the afternoon, returning to Arkaroola at dusk. This had been the most challenging riding so far with changing surfaces, and, as the sun got lower in the sky, plenty of kangaroos hopping out onto the road in front of us.

We took a break at the waterhole for a look around before heading back to Arkaroola for a nice dinner.

We left Arkaroola on Sunday morning to take an alternate route out where we could get to a lookout overlooking Lake Frome. The road up to the lookout was steep and challenging. Rod made it up OK however, I dumped the GSA about ⅓rd of the way up. Wombattle who was following me remained at the bottom of the hill wisely deciding that discretion is the better part of valour. Rod wrestled his GS back down the hill after we had finished looking around – we returned to Arkaroola to top up with fuel and hope that my GSA would stop blowing oil smoke (which it mercifully did.

Rod slowed to decide which way to go at the fork in the road – you stall, you fall

We set out again heading south along the eastern end of the Gammon Ranges before cutting west on the Copley Road where is meets the Outback Highway at Copley. We stopped at Copley Caravan Park for the all-day big breakfast. A short detour out of town to check out the actual Leigh Creek before going back out the highway to head north towards Marree where we planned to stop for the night.

Somewhere near the Flinders Ranges

We stopped at Lyndhurst where the Outback Highway turns back to dirt and where the Strzelecki Track starts. We continued north, stopping at the Farina Ruins. We arrived in Marree and checked into the Marree Hotel where we enjoyed dinner and and beer and some chocolate for desert.

Lyndhurst and the beginning of the Strzelecki Track

We departed Marree in the dark on Monday morning, heading west on the Oodnadatta Track towards Lake Eyre. Riding the track in the dark is a bit disconcerting, but we made good progress as we got used to the conditions. We could see the sun riding in the mirror before stopping for some photos on the track.

The Farina Ruins

We arrived at Lake Eyre and walked down onto the lake itself – a fantastic experience that cannot be accurately depicted on film.

Lake Eyre South

We doubled back to Borefield Road to head south to Roxby Downs. This road was most clay, but was a less predictable surface than the Oodnadatta Track resulting in a dinged front wheel for both Wombattle and I.

We stopped at Roxby Downs for a break and some breakfast. I had been running some numbers in my head and had decided that it would be possible to include an IBA ride for my return home. We rode south to Pimba where I collected a start docket for the beginning of the IBA ride.

Having obtained a start docket, I bid Craig and Rod farewell as they were heading back to Sydney/Newcastle via Broken Hill – I headed off toward Port Augusta wondering what the night ahead would have in store for me. I bumped into Wombattle and Rod briefly at Port Augusta after I had been chatting to my wife and filling her in on my revised plan.

Wagga Wagga in the wee hours – time for a 45 minute sleep out the front of the servo using some packages firewood as a pillow in a nice dry 1 metre strip along the front of the shop

I continued south then headed east towards Burra and Renmark. I arrived at Renmark just as the darkness had descended and the night ahead beckoned. The conditions so far had been excellent, if slightly on the cool side, but pretty comfortable overall. I arrived in Mildura feeling in pretty good shape, but with the first signs of rain appearing. I crossed the border back into NSW. The next planned stop was at Balranald where I would take on fuel and food.

By the time I had arrived at Balranald, it was evident that I would not make it through the night without some sleep. I took the chance to have a power nap (the first of three) in the cafe area of the Caltex Roadhouse, using a pile of magazines as a pillow. After about 15 minutes nap I indulged in a sausage roll and and an iced coffee before setting off again. The rain continued lightly.

I made steady progress, stopping briefly at Narrandera for fuel. By now the rain had become steady and fairly heavy. It was only a relatively short run from there to Wagga Wagga where I once again stopped for a sleep. I used some packaged firewood at the Caltex service station as a make-shift pillow and lay down in front of the window for a solid 45 minute sleep. The rain remained steady and was hardly enticing me out of my slumber to ride again.

After a snack at Wagga Wagga, the wet gloves went back on and I headed west to get to Hume Highway for an easy run back to Sydney. The rain remained steady and at one stage, the cruise control was causing the rear wheel to lose grip so that the traction control cut in and shut it off.

I figured that I would do one more fuel stop at Sutton Forest before getting home, however, it was necessary to pull into a truck rest-stop between Yass and Goulburn for one last nap. I stopped and put the side stand down, feet on pegs, and rested my head on the tank bag. I was tired and feel straight to sleep – this had the unwanted side effect of the continuing rain the land on the back of my helmet and run down my neck, so when I awoke after 15 minutes, I was nice and wet.

Arrived back at Menai Caltex at 09:48, a total of 21hours 21 minutes to travel 1,712km – this is pretty long for this distance with an overall average speed of 80.1 km/h but this did include 3 stops to sleep. I had already been on the road for 5 ½ hours before the IBA ride attempt started (a lot of it on dirt) and I think that I paid the price for this during the night. Overall though, I was pretty happy with the ride – the timing of this will also get me an IBA Silver Mile eater award.

Back to planning the next ride.

Last edited:

Crappy

Premier Member
I have wandered around that part country in my trusty old Rodeo a couple of times would love to do it on a bike one day looks like fun.
Well done on the Silver sounded like a tough slog , you know your tired when your using wooden pillows. LOL

Fatman

I have been to Burra many times but never taken the time to look at the old mine, I will have to next time..

Nice country out there Rob glad you are getting away and seeing it.

The snow will be melting soon enough and that road to Charlotte's Pass "Heaven"will reopen, I think you will be the first bike to get up there when they do open it again then turning around and heading to "Hell". Good luck on your mission.

Kimmie

Certainly a great adventure Rob and congrats on bagging the SS1600 and the Silver Mile Eater.

The pics are amazing, even the one of the GSA having a nap (you obviously were riding her hard..he he). Glad both you and bike were ok.
Think you need to pack one of those travel pillows for these power naps...beats firewood!!

sixty6north

I think you will be the first bike to get up there when they do open it again then turning around and heading to "Hell". Good luck on your mission.
I am not the only person to be thinking about this ride, so it far from certain that I will be the first up there when the gates open - Also, I am expecting to have to travel for work during September or October, so that might get in the way of things as well - I guess we will see.

sixty6north

even the one of the GSA having a nap (you obviously were riding her hard..he he). Glad both you and bike were ok.
Think you need to pack one of those travel pillows for these power naps...beats firewood!!
The bike in the picture is not mine - Rod was in second gear after slowing for the fork in the road and stalled as he was pulling away - not so much a crash and just laying the bike down gently.

Wom has a picture of my bike on its side on the hill that I mentioned - I fell off it properly not just stepping off and laying it down - fortunately, the GSA is built for a bit of punishment like this so it was all good.

As for the pillow, the pre-packed fire wood with a glove on top of it was just the right height and was surprisingly comfortable . . . . if you're tied enough :)

Rusjel

Premier Member
Great pics fellas and a great ride. How did the Africa Twin perform?

Edit: Further query, I've ridden the Roxby bore field road a few times in the last 5 years, what is the 'unpredictability' you refer to?

Last edited:

sixty6north

Great pics fellas and a great ride. How did the Africa Twin perform?
I rode Wom's AT for a while - its pretty cool. Noticeably more responsive than the GSA when corning on the dirt. I was also surprised by the engine - perfectly matched to the bike - good low down torque and enough power to get you into plenty of trouble . . . plus it sounds very cool - I liked the AT a lot. In a head-to-head comp on the dirt, I think the AT would win easily. I think that if you have to ride a long way on the bitumen to get to the dirt, the gap closes a lot (for me anyway) with the GSA's more relaxed and open riding position, greater fuel capacity and minor trimmings like cruise control etc. If I had room in my garage, I could make a case to own one of each.

sixty6north

I've ridden the Roxby bore field road a few times in the last 5 years, what is the 'unpredictability' you refer to?
The road was mostly OK, however, there were numerous sections where recent rain had made the road very boggy and there were deep ruts from heavy vehicles baked into the road. In each case, there was a safe path around, but if you were not concentrating, you could get yourself into a fair bit of trouble at 11okm/h.

The dinged wheels came from a pot hole directly in front of a cattle grid - Wom was travelling maybe 200-300 metres behind me at the time but we both managed to hit the same spot.

The Oodnadatta Track and the Outback Highway north of Lyndhurst by comparison were fairly predictable. Even riding the Oodnadatta Track in the dark felt OK, once I got accustomed to it and was able to maintain 80-90km/hr without stressing

Wombattle

Thanks Wom - I know this photo is a favorite of yours. it's just a shame that it looks like I fell off going up a gravel driveway :)
There's no shame in that fall Rob. I'm just glad you went first. That way I got to leave the AT in the chicken area in the background without having to have a crack at it!

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
The road was mostly OK, however, there were numerous sections where recent rain had made the road very boggy and there were deep ruts from heavy vehicles baked into the road. In each case, there was a safe path around, but if you were not concentrating, you could get yourself into a fair bit of trouble at 11okm/h.
/QUOTE]

It goes without saying that once in the cuds you have to be cool with finding your own way in the direction you want to go. A bit by the side of the "road"or even a few miles a bit way out past the side of the road might be the answer. Some times in Aussie you have to just go make the new track.
I really enjoyed this report guys.