Planning an IBA 50CC

Reef

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I got hit by a Toyota Tacoma on April 15. I am fine and working on either a new bike or a rental for the run. Will keep you posted so maybe we can link up.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Dang Reef - glad you're ok!!
I had a head-on with a Cadillac on a 150cc Suzuki S32 2 in 1967 - doing about 20mph - didn't get hurt, but never forgot it.

Hope you get your motorcycle situation resolved soon!!

Mike

Reef

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Dang Reef - glad you're ok!!
I had a head-on with a Cadillac on a 150cc Suzuki S32 2 in 1967 - doing about 20mph - didn't get hurt, but never forgot it.

Hope you get your motorcycle situation resolved soon!!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

renting an Indian Chieftain for the ride. Thought they would total my bike (glad they didn't) she has $10,500 in damages.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There seems to be an optimal time to leave Jax on a E to W 50cc run in order to attempt to make it thru the major metropolitan areas with minimal delay.

What is the wisdom of the thread participants on this topic? Super early (0200) or just early (0400)?

Paul Knight

Premier Member
There seems to be an optimal time to leave Jax on a E to W 50cc run in order to attempt to make it thru the major metropolitan areas with minimal delay.

What is the wisdom of the thread participants on this topic? Super early (0200) or just early (0400)?

I have left at 2am and 4am and both worked fine. I will say that both departure times were based on what time I woke up in the hotel room and I know that once I wake up if I do not go right back to sleep on the morning of an IBA run I will not go back to sleep so no reason to toss and turn in bed just to leave at a later time.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Perusal of the old forum (with the large pile of information there...) seems to be somewhat split between the LEO/fireman signatures as witnesses and the good 'ol list of "authorized IBA members" to do the honor at the beginning and/or end of a ride, like the 50cc.

So, the question - and this might be the last one - for this week, anyway :D

What's your preference for a witness on a ride like the 50cc? The cold, efficiency of a badged professional spending a few moments to send you off in the middle of the night, or a few minutes of conversation (before the clock starts, of course...) of a couple of those die-hard members of our fraternity, that are willing to come visit for a few minutes, sign your form, a couple of words of encouragement, before that same send-off into the middle of the night?

Why are you doing this in the middle the night or first thing in the morning.

I always get mine the night before or the day after.
I've wondered if there was a defined acceptable period for the witness signature? So far; I have had witnesses sign within a few minutes of leaving/arriving. My last ride was a BBG which requires two witnesses at the beginning and end. I was worried I would not find two people in Ludlow, Ca at 2am when I expected to arrive. Fortunately there was a trucker outside talking with the store clerk and both signed my form.

Scott

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Scott the witness I used for my multiple 50CC starts have always been the evening before and the morning after.

The idea I believe is that you are in the vicinity of the start with you on your bike and the mileage adds up more or less for the location of the signature and the location to the start. etc.

In San Diego when I am not using fellow IBA rider Reef as my witness I go to the CA Highway Patrol office and they have signed the next day no questions asked The same for the start in JAX, except one time I continued home to Orlando after getting to JAX and had a neighbor sign .

Scott the witness I used for my multiple 50CC starts have always been the evening before and the morning after.

The idea I believe is that you are in the vicinity of the start with you on your bike and the mileage adds up more or less for the location of the signature and the location to the start. etc.

In San Diego when I am not using fellow IBA rider Reef as my witness I go to the CA Highway Patrol office and they have signed the next day no questions asked The same for the start in JAX, except one time I continued home to Orlando after getting to JAX and had a neighbor sign .
I live in Escondido. So now you have another San Diego alternative. :) I could use a Jacksonville connection if I pull the trigger on a 100 CCC next year. :)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I've wondered if there was a defined acceptable period for the witness signature? So far; I have had witnesses sign within a few minutes of leaving/arriving. My last ride was a BBG which requires two witnesses at the beginning and end. I was worried I would not find two people in Ludlow, Ca at 2am when I expected to arrive. Fortunately there was a trucker outside talking with the store clerk and both signed my form.

Scott
Just to be clear, your starting receipt is you official start time and location and your last receipt is your official end time and location. We want you to obtain your start witness before your starting receipt and your ending witness after you obtain your ending receipt.

It's fine to obtain your start witness the evening before an 0-dark-thirty start. Similarly, if you finish your ride in the middle of the night, you can wait until morning to obtain your ending witness signature.

We say that you should obtain the signatures within a "reasonable" distance from the start/end. We have allow distances of 30-40 miles, but don't push it! :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Why are you doing this in the middle the night or first thing in the morning.

I always get mine the night before or the day after.
Ira's post above, along with yours, does bring up the third, and most reasonable, option.

At this juncture, my question is only "for planning purposes", and nothing has been solidified. My last two cert rides, I've done exactly that (the night before an o-dark-30 start...) which does make the task that much easier to deal with.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>End at a gas station at 4794 Voltaire st. San Diego 92107<...>
I finished my planning for my 50cc last night. I've tried to account for all of them from a planning perspective...BBG/half-way, along with two that I'm not sure *I* could pull off.

I saw this gas station, and another Shell station around the corner (don't have my info handy, but it was close...); Google Maps in now showing that these are only open from 0900-1700. @Reef - any insight you can provide as a local?

So, wondering if this is indeed accurate. I do have a short list of alternates within a mile or so of this location, as backups.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I finished my planning for my 50cc last night. I've tried to account for all of them from a planning perspective...BBG/half-way, along with two that I'm not sure *I* could pull off.

I saw this gas station, and another Shell station around the corner (don't have my info handy, but it was close...); Google Maps in now showing that these are only open from 0900-1700. @Reef - any insight you can provide as a local?

So, wondering if this is indeed accurate. I do have a short list of alternates within a mile or so of this location, as backups.
Ken - there is a 76 station very close open 24 hours. If you cannot find a gas station near enough; I think it would be acceptable to look for an ATM or convenience store open 24 hours to obtain a receipt. Good luck!

Address: 2305 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 92107
Phone:(619) 224-1477
Hours: Open today · Open 24 hours

Scott

I think it would be acceptable to look for an ATM or convenience store open 24 hours to obtain a receipt. Good luck!
ATM receipts are by far the best. They always give an accurate time and date, and they don't waste minutes fueling the bike. That applies to time-sensitive receipts, you still need a gas receipt every 300 miles.

Just make sure the ATM receipt contains all the required info. So far, all mine have.

Also ... photograph each receipt as you get it. If you also take a picture of the bike odometer, when you are done you have all the receipts, and mileages, in order.

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
ATM receipts are by far the best. They always give an accurate time and date, and they don't waste minutes fueling the bike. That applies to time-sensitive receipts, you still need a gas receipt every 300 miles.

Just make sure the ATM receipt contains all the required info. So far, all mine have.

Also ... photograph each receipt as you get it. If you also take a picture of the bike odometer, when you are done you have all the receipts, and mileages, in order.
Actually, it doesn't have to be a gas receipt every 300-350 miles. Any computer-generated receipt showing date, time, and location will work.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the info, @Scott Parish I have three fuel stations on the backup list. Just to be certain. :D

As a southern Arizona resident, the SDO area is a frequent vacation location, so I have a general idea of what's around.

Paul Knight

Premier Member

Ken - there is a 76 station very close open 24 hours. If you cannot find a gas station near enough; I think it would be acceptable to look for an ATM or convenience store open 24 hours to obtain a receipt. Good luck!

Address: 2305 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 92107
Phone:(619) 224-1477
Hours: Open today · Open 24 hours

Scott

there is also a beer, liquor , wine shop with Deli across the street from the 76 station

I like to end my rides with a few cold beers and that is a great place where you could get a receipt and a cold beer for the hotel :)

Scott Parish

Premier Member

Paul - I'm planning a 100ccc for next year from San Diego to Jacksonville. What gas stop do you use in Jax as a starting point?

Scott