Ride Around Texas Insanity Gold

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On the road again! I am riding to South Padre Island for the start of the Ride Around Texas Insanity Gold. The RAT Insanity is a IBA certified ride around the perimeter of Texas in less than 85 hours or 70 hours for Gold! Hard Riding Adventures is hosting the 2017 - Ride Around Texas Insanity, "Tropical Adventure" starting May 1, 2017. Registration will be open to the first 50 riders on Ride Master starting November 1, 2016

I'm riding the RAT clockwise starting and finishing in the tropical resort of South Padre Island. You can follow my progress starting Monday by viewing this SpotWalla Map and on the Hard Riding Adventures website.

Ride Planning and Itinerary
The ride planning was done in Garmin BaseCamp. There are 18 mandatory checkpoints on the RAT Insanity, including the South Padre Island start/finish points. Below is my route sheet after putting in dwell times for stops and anticipated rest. (The symbols colors indicate day or night conditions at arrival)

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Matt, it was my pleasure! Fun rides with an adventurous purpose is what our sport is all about...right. I especially like going down to SPI on Saturday and enjoying the beach scene. Swim in the warm gulf waters, hang out at the pool, eat seafood for dinner and hang out at the bar till whenever.

Look for the registration for the 2017 Ride Around Texas, "Tropical Adventure" to open on Ride Master November 1, 2016.

Epilogue:
The weather was great for the entire ride. A little hot in Big Bend and a little chilly around Guadalupe Mountains. During this ride I had no close calls, defined as the need to perform evasive maneuvers. I did not use excessive speed, unsafe riding techniques or get to meet any LEO the entire ride. Most all the roads between communities were 75 mph, even small two lane ranch roads. Got to love Texas! My new BMW R1200GS Adventure performed excellently. All my comfort farkles did their job well as I did not notice any comfort stress during the ride.

The clockwise route worked out well for me. My objective was to match each leg of the route to my optimum riding time and get good rest in a hotel. Below are the stats for each leg of my Ride Around Texas

• Leg 1 - RAT Start to Anthony; 6:00 to 22:18, 1,010 miles, 16.3 hours
  • Leg 2 - Anthony to Paris; 5:00 to 23:20, 1,239 miles, 18.3 hours
  • Leg 3 - Paris to RAT Finish; 6:00 to 19:55, 845 miles, 13.9 hours

RAT Start to Finish; 3,094 miles, 61.9 hours, 70.5 Mvg, 49.9 Ovg MPH

BillC_TX

Premier Member
I'm in.
The last time I was in South Padre was Hurricane Dolly recovery. This will be LOTS more fun. This should be a very good shakedown ride, with an extra bonus of some beach time.
Matt, I might be able to come in first for a NitWit rally someday:))