A nice little touch

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
I have just acquired a 33 ltr GSA fuel tank to fit my BMW 1200 GS with all the pipe work and fittings, that will save me fitting my auxiliary tank which would be 35 ltrs total but this is a neater solution IMO
Unfortunately it won't be fitted before the RBLR 1000 as the transfer pump and fuel pump/controller has to be checked before fitting this will be done by Mark Holden motorcycles at Bromley but he cant get to it for a couple of weeks so i will stick with the original as i know that works.
BTW can any of you GSA owners tell me what mileage you are getting per tank full?

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Sure.
Best ever was riding the Alti plano in Peru and due to the lack of oxygen, I was getting over 500 miles on a tank.
More realistically, pottering on motorways to 'work' at 70 to 75mph, I can get 400-420 out of a tankful.
Banging through Europe, I normally get 350 to 375.
I may be the exception though.......

jaybee

Premier Member
Maybe but then again, I only had to change the front brake pads at 100,000 miles and I have 17,500 on the current set of Anakee 3s with 2mm to go so maybe I just float like a butterfly .......;););)

Seriously, you could be right - when I took my bike to the Americas I had it set up to run on 91 octane so that may make a difference, however, I do ride like Miss Daisy a lot of the time so I'll stick with the 400 miles to a tank when pottering.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm getting about a safe 300 to a tank full. The most I've pushed it was 15 miles showing on the countdown gauge with the warning light coming on around the 40 miles left mark. On that occasion I think I got about 320 miles.

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Having had 2 1200 adventures, i never got too 300 miles, quickest i saw fuel light on was 180 miles, (was a good day in germany) but i used to work on an avg of 250 miles, but these were both early 1200 adventures, before the cam/valve upgrades, and defo before water cooled.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Took the bike up to Mark Holden last Friday to get the tank fitted
it turned out one of the brackets on the front of the tank is different is there one in the country i hear you ask?
Is there **** so it will take a week from Germany so now booked in 6th of July Mark tells me it will happen this time.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
It didn't happen on the 6th July finally got all the bits from Germany (BMW do take their own sweet time) now booked in on the 21 July looking forward to a bit more than 175 miles per tank.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Had issues with the exhaust valve on the post 2010 GSA. My man that does states they carbon up and quite often seize, especially when you do long rides (I said so it shouldn't affect me....)

Problem now cured and range on a tank has gone from 320 to 400+.

Still only completing short rides ;)

jaybee

Premier Member
There seems to be a lot of debate as to what the actual tank capacity is for the air cooled GSAs. I know the spec talks about 32 or 33 litres with a reserve of 4 litres. Personally I have put in 36 litres in my bike probably more than a dozen times from a dozen different fuel stations.
If your bike is the same, that will indeed take you to an easy 370-380, however, for personal comfort, take a jerry can with you (full) and do 2 or 3 rides in different conditions until it goes dry and then you should know for sure.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
I am off to Ullapool in a couple of weeks so i'll give it a run to empty on the way North should get to Penrith via A1/A66.
This time i can look at the scenery no rush unlike the RBLR 1000.

Last edited:

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Well Ullapool has been and gone Myself and Tim Wyatt a fellow GS rider left Dartford at midnight 15th Sept going to a UKGSer gathering at Ullapool for that weekend, heading north via M25/M11/A1 arrived at Scotch corner at around 5.30 am didn't need fuel as it is 260 miles to that point refuelled at Southwaite services M6 North this was around 310 miles.
As i fitted a GSA tank the trip computer is configured for the standard 20 ltr tank the fuel gauge shows empty at around 200 miles and goes off the scale completely for about ten miles then it recalculates and the gauge shows two bars and tells me 50 miles range which wrong so i go with the trip meter so that range for motorway riding is good i now know i can get 300 miles per tank full under all conditions.
Second fuel stop Ft William short fill fuel consumption is better as no motorway work so we got to Ullapool at 4 pm Friday Knackered in bed by 7 pm am i getting too old for this sh1t ?
Enough fuel to ride around the North Assynt estate where i met Pete West, refuelled at Ullapool on Sunday got down past Glasgow before a refill (getting cocky now:))
We stayed at the Buccleuch arms hotel in Moffat http://www.buccleucharmshotel.com/ Sunday night the owner is a Dutch biker and if you turn up on two wheels you get a discount but book early to avoid disappointment.
Fill up at Moffat got me to Peterborough services on the A1 on monday after blocking motorways on the sat nav for the route home.