need mapping help for CC50

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
I am a premiere member and doing a CC50 in two weeks. The instructions say I need an electronic map made in Map Quest or Google Maps. I have always used Microsoft Streets and Trips with help from Google Maps to insure correct addresses for way points. Streets and Trips allows me to create a GPX file which I can load in my Garmin Zumo 550.
I can seem to figure out Map Quest. Google Maps only allows 10 waypoints. I found a online site that allows me to enter more waypoints and then it creates the route in Google Maps. That works but I can't make a GPX file to load in the GPS.

Any suggestions? Can the IBA use a Streets and Trips map? Do they nee printed or do they have to be able to open it and use it?

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My suggestion is plan the ride with Microsoft S&T as you normally would. Forget about Google Maps for the moment. You don't need an electronic map for the ride. The electronic map is only for the submission.

Do the ride. Collect your dockets and witness forms along the way as usual.

Figure out Google Maps after the ride when you are no longer preparing, riding or recovering from the ride. If you used more than 10 points on your ride log I have used Bing Maps for over 30 points and submitted successfully (www.bing.com).

Submit the ride.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you map it out in Google maps you can leave out the gas stops that don't alter the route. on a CC ride that's most of them you just have to drag the route to the roads you used. You can provide a list of gas stops with address's and just draw them in by hand after it's printed

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
I found a online site that allows me to enter more waypoints and then it creates the route in Google Maps
Could you, please, direct me to where you managed to do that?
Thanks...

I can't make a GPX file to load in the GPS.?
Try to use this site:
https://mapstogpx.com/

Or export your Google-My-Maps route as KML, import it to POI POCKET (http://www.poipocket.com/), then export it back as GPX.

Personally, I prefer navigating with Google Navigator.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I am a premiere member and doing a CC50 in two weeks. The instructions say I need an electronic map made in Map Quest or Google Maps. <...>

Any suggestions? Can the IBA use a Streets and Trips map? Do they nee printed or do they have to be able to open it and use it?
Are you using Spot (or equivalent) - collecting data by way of Spotwalla?

If so, that's all you need. Otherwise, an annotated electronic map - beginning/end and stop locations.

The log (or, in your case, receipt/odometer photos) is the data required. The map data again augments the story you're trying to tell (start here, end here, stopped at these places).

I'd think the *only* issue with S&T may be some of the data may be stale - when was the last time it was updated?

Luck to ya - I thoroughly enjoyed doing my 50CC!

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
OK, replies for all of the good help. I am a premiere member and I have submitted SS1000 rides electronically before. The premiere submission page seems to say I need a map prepared with Google Maps or Map Quest. I am unsure if the just need a printed map show all stops or one they can electronically open. I would almost die if I complete this ride and then have certification turned down because I missed something.

I did find https://mapped.me/ which allows you to add more than 10 waypoints and generates a Google Map. It allows you to send the map to a phone or tablet etc. I can send it to my tablet or phone and open it and it works but I need it in my Garmin GPS.

As far as a KML file I can't seem to find how to export that but I will keep looking.

Streets and Trips is no longer supported and is out of date. I use Google Maps to search for my way points which are all gas stations and then use the address or click on the map to add them to Streets and Trips, It just seems like there is a better way. Don't want to buy a new GPS at this point.

I do use Bubbler Pro and Spotwalla to track my trip. It always makes me nervous because what if it stops working?

I will document all that I can with time stamped receipts and photos with my odometer and hope it works.

Back to more Googling.

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
...I need it in my Garmin GPS...
Once you have your route in Google Maps you copy the link, paste it HERE, export it to GPX - and use it with your Garmin.

...As far as a KML file I can't seem to find how to export that but I will keep looking...
KML is exported from Google My Maps, not Google Maps, but with above mentioned method you no longer need it.

...Don't want to buy a new GPS at this point...
I recommend you try Google Navigator, and navigate with your cell.

...I did find https://mapped.me/ which allows you to add more than 10 waypoints and generates a Google Map...
Thanks for the info!

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
OK. I think I have this whipped.
One method has not been tried yet but one I just did.

I can use https://mapped.me/ and generate a Google Map with more than 10 way points. I believe I could use Amnon's suggestion and use Map to GPX to get my GPX file.

I did try the other suggestion I found by Googling and used Furkot which generates a map using Google Maps. It then allows a direct export in several forms including GPX. I tried it with just half my route done and My Garmin accepted it and it seems to work fine. Thanks to all.

I hesitate to navigate with my phone for several reasons.
Unless I download maps first it will quit when I lose cell coverage.
I don't have a mount for it.
It will be running Bubbler with Spotwalla to track my trip and I am not sure it could do both.
Also my phone is my emergency back up plan should some thing happen to my GPS. I also have my waypoints (gas stops) in an excel file printed out and my map printed.

Should be fun.

Thanks to all.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Well - the great thing about a 50CC; depending on starting location - you should be going the same direction i.e. east or west pretty much the entire ride. As far as the electronic map - just provide a link to your Google My Maps (don't forget to adjust permissions) trip/route. The purpose for the electronic map is expedited verification (plus I think it is only Howard doing it and he can really crank through them - when he is not out riding or evacuating for a hurricane :) ). Good luck, looking forward to the RR.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>I hesitate to navigate with my phone for several reasons.
Unless I download maps first it will quit when I lose cell coverage.<...>
There will literally only be a handful of areas where that will be possible. Along major Interstate routes, these days, that's nearly improbable - particularly out here in the west; the last area I knew about here in AZ was filled in about four years ago.

Now, with that stated, if you're using a GPS as primary routing, the phone would be available for any secondary issues, should it be required.

Luck to ya!

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
I just did 50 cc sd to jax. apehangers website has the perfect tool for gas stops for this ride. Just put in the motorcycle range and the website prints out the gas stop exits. It worked perfectly for me. It was that easy. Thanks apehangers! Georgemowry

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I just did 50 cc sd to jax. apehangers website has the perfect tool for gas stops for this ride. Just put in the motorcycle range and the website prints out the gas stop exits. It worked perfectly for me. It was that easy. Thanks apehangers! Georgemowry
Agreed!

Now, if you're curious (like I was...) and wanted to at least be aware of intermediate opportunities, using that website, enter half your range.

Why?

Now, you know what your stops will be at the ~180 mile mark (for me...), but you also see where the intermediate stops would be - in the event you need to get off your primary stop sequence and initiate a secondary sequence of stops.

I kicked off my 50cc having to use a few of those intermediate stops. At least I knew about a couple of those stops; Google Map'd the rest of them to get back on my planned stop sequence before Houston.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
I am happy to say thanks for the help to all who made suggestions.
I still have to put together my submission but I completed my CC50.
Left Santa Monica, CA at 1:44 AM PDST on Saturday, 4/15/18.
I completed the ride at Tybee Island, GA at 2:15 AM EDST on Monday 4/17/18.
That is 11:15 PM PDST on Sunday, 4/15/18.
Total time was 45 hours 231 minutes.
I will soon post a full ride report.
My hat is off to those who do the CCC100 or the iron Butt Rally.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
I am happy to say thanks for the help to all who made suggestions.
I still have to put together my submission but I completed my CC50.
Left Santa Monica, CA at 1:44 AM PDST on Saturday, 4/15/18.
I completed the ride at Tybee Island, GA at 2:15 AM EDST on Monday 4/17/18.
That is 11:15 PM PDST on Sunday, 4/15/18.
Total time was 45 hours 31 minutes.
I will soon post a full ride report.
My hat is off to those who do the CCC100 or the iron Butt Rally.
noted the typo and it was 45 hours 31 minutes , not 231 minutes.