Helmet hair?

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
I just finished a 50 cc ride. I have noticed that my scalp was itchy, really itchy for the last 500 miles of the ride. After the ride my scalp was among the list of painful body parts. I have medium length hair and I always wear a helmet liner. I kept all the vents closed on my shoei synchrotech helmet.

I could cut my hair short. I could let it grow long and tie it up in a pony tail. Is the hair the problem? We need a video of the hair inside the helmet at speed. I could slow the pace to 45 mph!

Do you experience the same issues? What is your solution?

Is a particular helmet better? There is an invention begging to be invented here.

As a corollary, the best current helmets are junk. Maybe another post is needed. They don’t address what resides inside. I person needs to see, hear, breathe and may not want to shave the scalp. The poor muscle in the neck have to carry the device as well as the 7 lb calvaium. All of these functions are impaired by helmets.

This is my first post for IBA, humbly I know that I walk among the pioneers of motorcycling. I look forward to your thoughts.
Thank you.

wavid

Dave Long
Premier Member
George, I have thick hair. I have tried everything, including helmet liners and anti-itch scalp meds. I do not suffer from dry scalp or dandruff. I keep my helmet liner clean. My helmet fits properly. The only cure I have found for that burning and/or itching is to have a short haircut with some thinning. My $0.02.....
Dave Long

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thank you Dave! As you point out, helmet fit and clean are critical.

Are there any manufactures out there to offer cad-cam fit helmets? (Or cad-cam liners for helmets on the market?) I think there are design improvements possible that would reduce turbulence inside the helmet thereby reduce helmet hair issues and noise and improve rider comfort at the same time.

BMW made electric anti fog visors that worked great! AGV made an AC helmet. Advanced designs have been tried before.

Just some thoughts because my scalp still remembers the miles.

I will likely just cut my hair short but my wife says don’t do anything drastic.

G.

wavid

Dave Long
Premier Member
I have a large, very square, head. The only helmet brand I have found to fit properly and comfortably is HJC. Nolan is second best. I have spent hours trying to trim and shape cheek pads and ear pads. I gave up on helmet speakers and now use NeckMike ear buds (I don't use the neck microphone} with my Sena 20s communicator. The ear buds attenuate ambient sound and offer excellent transmitted sound quality. The Sena has a ambient sound mode when I need it. Probably TMI, I know. I have also found that carrying a bottle of no-rinse camping shampoo and a towel on long, hot rides is a necessity. 5 minutes spent cleaning my head is well worth the time. YMMV.

Dave

wavid

Dave Long
Premier Member
And welcome to the IBA. You'll never find a better group of men and women. They will, and have, given the shirts..... yada, yada.... Seriously, it's a fine organization. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Dave

MTStarrett

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi George,

I think in this case, air flow is your friend. I keep the vents open unless its very cold. I think that heat and humidity from sweat exacerbate the itchiness. Also try skipping the helmet liner.

Also, after lots of different helmets, I'm totally sold on the Shoei Neotec. The ventilation is amazing, its really quiet, and the internal sunshade was made for riders like us.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The Shoei Neotec I recently purchased was a big step up from the HJC's I'd been wearing, I will sheepishly admit to that.

There's a LOT of reasons for itch, but could one of them have simply been the stress of completing the ride? I mean did it go away after a few days on it's own?

I try really hard to NOT remove my helmet, especially for those short-duration 'gas-and-go' types of stops. If there's not suitable airflow, maybe that's another item to consider.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
As the post starts to take a tangent...

My crotch itches after a ride. Maybe I need a trim.
If it's before you ride, you may wish to seek medical advice. ;)

Snap out of it, man! - back to the original topic!

@Georgemowry You may need to simply start listing the types of things you're doing, and then trying different things. Over time, I did get to be a big fan of the LDComfort helmet liner (the one with tails). That's an item that is 100% function over form. Goofy looking? A bit, but wow, sure does work well.

Interesting perspective from a (possible) non-rider:

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/advice/a42279/ask-a-clean-person-helmet-cleaning-advice/

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. The symptoms abated after several days. I am analyzing the gas stop/pit stop routine. It is a choreographed affair that improved with practice. There were 14 gas stops on my ride. I did remove the helmet at each stop. I will try to do this less during the timed events. I will definitely try the suggestions as I push my limits. After all, being comfortable as possible on the motorcycle will expand endurance. Each little discomfort adds up and blends into the others so that it is difficult to separate them while I was riding. I was surprised that my scalp was part of the niggles of pain after when I finished in Jacksonville Beach.

I am a female who has longish hair and I’ve completed 2 IBRs and had no helmet itch. I always wear a tubular bandana, that twists into a skull cap, under my helmet. It stops my head from sweating and itching. Plus when I get off the bike and take my helmet off, I just leave it on and don’t have to worry about how my hair looks.