Headlight

Viper

After some advice, the headlight (halogen H4) is positively dire , I converted to HID and it was awesome though not strictly legal and very temperamental, switching between high and low beam was at best slow, low beam would go out and seconds later high beam would kick in, sometimes it wouldn't kick in at all, so i am thinking LED, are they a legal alternative? searching on the net i can't get a definitive answer, if they are legal, what temp/colour range is best to go for?
thanks in advance for any help

I ran HID’s in several of my bikes back in the day. Looks cool but reliability has always been an issue. Whether it’s the ballast burning out or the bulb etc. something always seems to act up. Definitely not a setup I would use trying to travel or do a long distance challenge.

The LED kits I’ve seen have mini fans built in which are supposed to keep things cooler and therefore last longer. I can’t attest to how well or long they last. I went a different route instead. I bought 1 of those Sylvania Xtreme packs of headlight bulbs. They are brighter than OEM bulbs and I paired that with a set of auxiliary light kits. Kit was plug n play and mounted on front wheel. No ballasts burning out no flickering just a more reliable light source when I need it

I fitted some Hawk HIDs to my previous bike, a Kawasaki Z1000SX - great brightness and reliable while I had the bike, only real downside was the slight delay in warm up time so switching from Lo to High and especially flashing was frustrating but not dangerous.

I’ve since fitted a Cyclops LED kit to my KTM, very high quality and the light is fantastic, though they were quite expensive.

I think buying cheap is a bit of a folly, you really want to know those lights will keep going.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
I agree - I've used the Hawk kit but the ballast gave up the ghost after just over 20k miles.
Spend more and hopefully get better reliability.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Count me in as another satisfied Cyclops user (so far, at least). On my 2007 GS, I switched the stock H7 bulbs for Cyclops LEDs - a big improvement. Painfully expensive, but way cheaper than Clearwater auxiliaries. I'm a bit worried by having the backs of the bulbs exposed - but then, even if I could refit the stock caps at the rear of the headlamp shells, would that mean the fans couldn't do their job?

I did some research before splashing out. HID conversion is flat out against the rules (though i'm not sure how many MOT testers would kick up a fuss), but LED bulbs are okay.

I also looked at the 'extreme' halogen bulbs, but as the light levels go up, the average life of the bulbs plummets.

Regards,
Martin

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
The rear caps fit with the cyclops bulbs have you got the adaptor rings that the bulbs fit in the right way round?

Last edited:

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
I did some research before splashing out. HID conversion is flat out against the rules (though i'm not sure how many MOT testers would kick up a fuss), but LED bulbs are okay.
Really? Is this official? As the beam pattern is totally different, they shouldn't. :rolleyes:

Very happy with Cyclops in the Pan, by the way. The second generation has a much improved beam pattern, but still not what H4s deliver you.

The K1200 GT I'm riding now was fitted with HID lights by a previous owner, I don't find any delay between low and high beam switching and the spread of light on high is like riding in daylight, I added a pair of PIAA auxiliary lights to light up the verges I'm very happy with setup and cant imagine reverting back to H4 again.

i shied away from fitting HID lights and went for LED's, simply because the way HID's work its an arc discharge between two electrodes its brighter than a standard halogen but takes time to warm up to full efficiency usually a few seconds, and if turned off should be allowed to cool before reigniting the blurb says give them 5 to 10 seconds before relight. LED's on the other hand work by use of a semiconductor with a positive and neutral region when energized with electric current these combine to emit photons of light. That's putting it very simply, no moving parts in LED's and they should last a long time the semi conductors are the key and should be durable but i suppose someone will make cheapo versions that don't last as long.
LED spots on my first FJ they never gave any problems, latest one has LED lights as standard have not wired the old spots up yet as i need to do some research on the correct pick up points LED's run at a lower current etc so the wiring may not be as the old bike but that's a project for the winter
I went with denali spots after some research

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Really? Is this official? As the beam pattern is totally different, they shouldn't. :rolleyes:

Very happy with Cyclops in the Pan, by the way. The second generation has a much improved beam pattern, but still not what H4s deliver you.
Hi Robert,

Construction and use regs have always dictated that HID headlights must be fitted with headlight washers, and must be self-levelling. While there was no specific wording, MOT testers could fail vehicles with a HID conversion; and even if it passed an MOT, having a HID conversion could make the vehicle non road-legal if the conversion kit hasn't been through the approvals process.

To make it explicit, the MOT manual has been changed, from 20th May. Here's the wording in section 4.1.4: Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

Note that this is explicitly about HID conversions, so LED bulbs aren't covered by this - though you may have an argument on your hands to convince a particularly zealous MOT tester of the difference.

Regards,
Martin

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Very interesting. In Germany, conversion to HID or LED is an absolute no-go. Unless the bike comes equipped with it (e.g. BMW GS). But this is very petty compared to the heart attack of the TÜV inspector when he sees the auxiliary tank....o_O:D

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Very interesting. In Germany, conversion to HID or LED is an absolute no-go. Unless the bike comes equipped with it (e.g. BMW GS). But this is very petty compared to the heart attack of the TÜV inspector when he sees the auxiliary tank....o_O:D
Hi Robert,

It's down to that old chestnut, that in Germany anything which is not explicitly allowed is forbidden; over here it's the other way around, so unless something is explicitly forbidden, it's allowed...

Regards,
Martin

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
I think it's even worse than that, it's explicitly forbidden, therefore the heart attack :cool:
But in principle you're right, of course:)

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Non standard HID lights fitted to a standard headlight reflector, if checked correctly for beam pattern, should fail an MOT. The light source is in a different place compared to a standard bulb. The reflected light is not 'focused' correctly and produces the blinding, bright light we are all familiar with. LED lights have the emitter located in the same place as the filament in the standard bulb. This is then 'focused' correctly by the standard reflector.

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Yes for genuine LED lamps that come in one piece. This is not true for LEDs in the shape of H4 bulbs where the reflector is not suited.

Rick UK

Brit Butt Light Rally Master
Premier Member
IBA Member
By careful measurement, my HID kit places the light source at the same point as that in an H7 bulb. Different kits may vary!
It’s bright, but places the light in the right place. Also helps that the ‘Bird has an exceptionally well-defined upper beam cut-off.