Ride idea

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
I just did a great ride and noticed how much glare from both sunrise and sunset when riding towards the sun. so why not have a ride that goes away from the rising or setting sun. A no glare affair. 24 hour ride from your place and you pick the time to start. sunrise turn around and go the other way. At sunset turn around and go the other way,a 24 hour east-west ride. Whaadaya think?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
A few comments:

You suggest a 24-hour ride, but don't specify a minimum mileage. Would this be a form of Saddlesore 1000? Or when you say it's a 24-hour ride, do you mean that one would ride for 24 hours regardless of mileage?

The time between sunrise and sunset varies depending upon the time of year and geographical location. So not all sunrise to sunset rides would be identical - some could be doing the ride mostly in daylight and others mostly in the dark. Also, what calculation would you use to determine when to turn around, taking into consideration your location at the time of sunrise/sunset?

What definition of "sunrise" and "sunset" would you use - astronomical, civil,or nautical?

A more macro question is this: why would the World's Toughest Riders be looking to make a ride easier, rather than harder? Most ride suggestions are of the latter type, such as suggesting a Saddlesore 1000 entirely on dirt, or entirely within a city's limits. It seems to kind of go against the grain somehow. Just my $0.02.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Ira,

thank you for your reply.

The idea was to do an endurance ride with different parameters. The idea was an excuse for a fun ride. Similar to others such as lighthouse pressed penny highway 50 challenge, why to why not and other rides.
Perhaps it was the musing of a rider intoxicated with fatigue and the satisfaction of having just competed a BBG ride.

For sure the idea was half baked and worthy of the the round file.

I sometimes watch the earth pictures sent from the ISS it is mesmerizing and I thought on a macro scale the ride would be fun to ride away from the sun.

I had the privilege to be the newsletter guy for the Shamrocks. Now those cats can ride. Ask Dave mcqeeney. It in their shadows that I humbly ride today. For sure they are tougher riders than I will ever be.

On a side note I got my ironbutt number #14042. became mileater silver and this year did my sixth BBG this year.

Thank you for all that you do.

Georgemowry

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I just did a great ride and noticed how much glare from both sunrise and sunset when riding towards the sun. so why not have a ride that goes away from the rising or setting sun.
For sure the idea was half baked and worthy of the the round file.
A thousand mile (or more...) ride heading north-south can possibly reduce the glare...?

I dunno...just a thought. :cool:

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Kw thanks, by the way. i loved your 48/10 report. You obviously plan very well and clearly this is the answer.

After much thought I have concluded the sun is good and the idea is not.

Georgemowry

KW
Thanks for the response.
Ride plan is good, the sun is good, the idea is not good.

Georgemowry

Georgemowry,

One way of extending the day light between sunrise and sunset is to head north. Was near Edmonton, Alberta around July 1st. It did not get dark until 11:00 pm.

-Mark

Last edited:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Kw thanks, by the way. i loved your 48/10 report. You obviously plan very well and clearly this is the answer.

After much thought I have concluded the sun is good and the idea is not.

Georgemowry
Thanx for the kind words. Not quite to OCD levels of planning, but it does make the well-worn LD adage "Plan the Ride, then Ride the Plan!" become nearly idiot-proof.

Agreed - the sun is good. Better than *any* aux light setup out there. :D