Things i have learnt about this long distance riding lark. Pt 1

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Plan the ride ride the plan. Bollocks no plan survives first contact what with the amount of traffic and road works around these days you have to be patient and adaptable.
The last three rides i have done 1 IBA, 1 trip to Yorkshire, 1 to Scotland i started at midnight The M25 is almost enjoyable at stupid o' clock AM with only night trunk drivers and a smattering of other suspicious characters it's a good time to make progress and get away from the south east usually a good plan but it can come back and bite you unfortunately the authority's like to close the roads and put in diversions i am convinced there is a secret committee in Whitehall dedicated to the frustration of all road users.
Allow time to get off the motorway/major trunk roads for fuel there can be as much as 5p per litre difference in price or plan your refuel for when you are off the major routes to save you diverting from your planned route it does keep the cost down.
On the subject of costs i run an 11 year old BMW R1200 GS with 56K on the clock averages 50MPG does not burn any oil but i am replacing worn parts so far final drive, front wheel bearings, rear master cylinder expensive and bloody annoying but still cheaper than buying a newer model which i would do if the finances would allow.
Despite all the above traffic, road closures, mechanical problems, fuel costs, it's still enjoyable including occasionally meeting the other daft buggers who do this long distance lark.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...> but it can come back and bite you unfortunately the authority's like to close the roads and put in diversions i am convinced there is a secret committee in Whitehall dedicated to the frustration of all road users.<...>
No significant differences here in the Colonies, yet at least we do get an opportunity to sign up for warnings of impending closures along major thoroughfares via email.

The drawback here is that our Interstates (equivalent to your motorways) are independently controlled and managed by each state. Thus, quite unreasonable to sign up for 20 or more emails to learn about closures while on my 7000+ mile journey earlier this summer.

A fair amount of road works, particularly when in the northern states, when there's two seasons: "winter" and "road works". I was quite fortunate; maybe 500 miles worth in total, but nothing significant, thankfully.

So, in the end, you are accurate in that no plan survives first contact with reality.

Rusjel

Premier Member
Two consecutive tanks of fuel solves just about anything.

We have it pretty good in Oz roadworks wise, but there are places where the road you are on is the only sealed way to your destination. So if there are roadworks or a bad accident you're stuck. Road works reports are some help you just have to roll dem bones and hope you get a good run.

Unfortunately our night riding fun is curtailed somewhat by the number of critters we have to deal with.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Two consecutive tanks of fuel solves just about anything.

We have it pretty good in Oz roadworks wise, but there are places where the road you are on is the only sealed way to your destination. So if there are roadworks or a bad accident you're stuck. Road works reports are some help you just have to roll dem bones and hope you get a good run.

Unfortunately our night riding fun is curtailed somewhat by the number of critters we have to deal with.
Two tanks full i can be in the North of Scotland or a wander around Wales and back again so i agree with that sentiment
Night riding is quite enjoyable we get the occasional badger and increasingly deer neither have any road sense the more dangerous night critters are behind the wheel after bed time and to be treated with caution.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
If it wasn't fun, despite all that, us old people wouldn't still be doing it.
True, but with that age comes wisdom.

Sometimes that wisdom will be overridden by those 'voices in your head' saying "Really?? You're old enough to know better..."

:D

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
My forward planning consists of the next location on the map or sat nav, keep the planning to a minimum less to go wrong.

I don’t generally have issues or need to overplan for interstate distance runs. But my most anticipated, and usually, enjoyed run of the average year is my Tour of Honor SS1K.

I don’t get to know where I’m going until after midnight. I will see roads I’ve never been on. No chance to plan fuel stops. I often find myself in situations where I have no idea where I’m going to find fuel or a receipt in the predawn hours of April 1st.