Garmin GPS's

Is it really worth the extra cost for the Zumo models as compared to the DriveSmart 60 or Drive 65 series car models? Other than being able to view TPMS info and stream audio out to a bluetooth heaset, is there another feature tha makes them worth the money?

The motorcycle-specific units are waterproof but the automotive versions are not. There might be some motorcycle-specific software bits here and there but the waterproofness is the key difference.

I've noticed that but there seem to be some water-proof cases available with ram mount style balls on the back for 5 and 6 inch GPS units. Even factoring in the $50 for the case, there is a huge price difference between a $200 Drive and a $500 Zumo. I know about the fuel range calculator/reminder and the TPMS ability but I'm thinking of getting a phone/BT based TPMS setup and I can't say that I'm going to use the GPS to track my fuel needs. Just seems like 2 of the Garmin Drive 65 units would allow the standard 2 GPS setup most folks use in rallies for less than the cost of a single Zumo

Yeah. I completely agree. That's the main reason I never bought a dedicated GPS. I use my phone for all that now. There are times I'd like to have a GPS but Google's real-time traffic has saved me a LOT of aggravation. So much so that I really don't think I'll ever use a GPS-only unit again.

PS - though maybe if I travel somewhere without cellular service it would come in handle. I guess I should never say "never."

The ability to use BaseCamp and load those routes and waypoints into a dedicated GPS for rallies makes the use of a phone only am uncommon occurrence. I do use my POIpocket to upload/share my waypoints to Google/Waze/Copilot on my phone for point to point. But that doesn't let me see the entire route

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I am not a fan of the music streaming feature on my LMT-S 396. I set up the Garmin app on my phone to use Pandora, and the result was that every time I powered on the Garmin device it would force launch Pandora whether I wanted it to or not. Closing Pandora didn't help, the Garmin app would just force it back open again. Really annoying.

I couldn't find a setting to disable this, so I had to uninstall the Garmin app.

Dann

I've been using a Zumo 350LM for years.
I can plan very detailed routes on my PC and transfer them to the GPS.
I really like the fact that I can factor in all my rest/fuel stops/layover and have a pretty accurate time frame of my ride.
Even even multi days rides. I could never remember all the little twisty roads that I want to take on a ride.

The waterproofness and glove friendly touch screen is a must

I just bought a R1250RT with the NAV VI GPS. Not cheap for sure but it integrates completely with the bike's electronics. (Even controls the bike's clock)

YMMV

I'm not a huge fan of the dedicated GPS devices, either. I use a combination of Google maps and TomTomGo on my phone. I can make routes on the computer as detailed as I need, and they are accessible from the phone app immediately. When I have cell coverage, I even get traffic updates on the TomTom app. My phone is waterproof and charged from a wireless waterproof charger, so it all works quite nicely. My work phone is also waterproof and uses the same wireless charger, and I take that along as backup.

The dedicated GPS devices offer nothing that my phone doesn't and only add complications to my trips and bulk to my handlebars. I know some people love them and that's great for them. As long as we get where we're going, it doesn't matter all that much.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Waterproof, glove friendly, will not overheat in sun, pennies on the dollar compared to phone cost, data plan not needed, offline downloads or data not needed, build routes in software and add to GPS...

Just to name a few things a dedicated gps offers over a phone based GPS app.

Don't get me wrong, a phone can work just fine as a person's only navigation, buts a gross overstatement to say a dedicated gps offers nothing over a phone IMHO.

Tool for the job in my mind, but hey we all use what works best for us. Me, I like using both and will always have a dedicated gps device.

My phone is waterproof, glove friendly (at least with my gloves), never overheats, and was cheaper than either of the GPS units mentioned in the OP. Data plan is something I have already, so no further costs on that, and as I stated - I build my routes on the computer and don't even have to move them to the phone, they just show up on the My Routes menu. The TomTomGo app is also offline, meaning that just like a regular GPS device, all the maps are stored on the device so it works just fine whether or not there is cell service.

I don't think it's overstating things at all to say the dedicated GPS offers nothing my phone does not. I only have 1 SS1000 thus far (done using my phone, as it also uploads to SpotWalla, which the GPS cannot do) but plan more, and have done many non-IBA rides with my phone as my guidance. I'll be happy to see if I run into any situations where I want a GPS mounted on the bike. So far, though, I have not.

Whatever you're comfortable using is the big thing, but don't downplay using the phone. It's a far more valuable tool than some may think it is.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Sigh I'm not going to argue with you over this. Just leaving it that I see your point for your sake but disagree for my own sake and use.

For for stick measuring my resume need not be posted, but suffice to say I've done many miles, rallies and certified rides using GPS and phones over the years to stand by my comment of tool for the job that works for you.

And I stand by a stand alone GPS brings value a phone does not under many situations perhaps none you find yourself in.

Last edited:

RFlagg42

IBR Finisher
Regarding the phone vs GPS debate, having ridden in three IBRs with both a phone and a GPS running at all times, I can assure you that:

1) There is no right answer for everyone, but there may be a right answer for you. Debating people's choices or preferences is kind of pointless.
2) It depends on what you are doing and on your particular processes while trip planning and navigating
3) It depends upon the specific apps you are running while using a phone, and it depends upon the specific map sets you have on your GPS
4) It depends upon where you physically are located. There are points on this earth where a GPS will give you a more efficient directions than a phone, and there are points on this earth where a phone will give much more efficient directions than a GPS
5) Regardless of how waterproof you think your phone is, there are varying degrees of effectiveness especially when it is pouring rain, your phone battery is almost dead, and you need to charge while still being able to see the screen. I've never had a Zumo stop charging in the rain.
6) Regardless of how durable you think your phone is, there are temperatures at which it will not be able to keep the screen on without overheating, especially while it is charging. I've never had a Zumo overheat while I was riding.

Again, I guarantee that there are times when a GPS is superior to a phone and times when a phone is superior to a GPS. My list of WHEN those times are may not be the same as your list (see #2). if you are only going to use one, your typical activities while riding and your budget are probably important variables to consider.

My actual original query was motorcycle specific GPS vs standard car GPS (ZUMO vs Nuvi/Drive series) with the car GPS being mounted in a waterproof (as if there is actually anything that is 100% waterproof) case and mounted with RAM mounts to a visible and accessible location on bike. I think the Garmin Zumo is probably just slightly ahead of a Garmin Drive for function in a motorcycle enviroment but I can't justify the cost difference for that slight functional increase. I was wondering if anyone else might have some insight on the function of a Zumo that would justify the cost vs a $200 Drive w/ a $50 case.
Doug

<snip> car GPS being mounted in a waterproof (as if there is actually anything that is 100% waterproof) case and mounted with RAM mounts to a visible and accessible location on bike. <snip>
Great minds think alike. Be sure to post here what you end up buying (and the case). The only reason I don't have a dedicated GPS is my refusal to pay so much more for one that's somehow "better" for motorcycles.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
My phone is waterproof and charged from a wireless waterproof charger,
Which phone do you have? My eight year old G'zOne is water resistant (no such thing as waterproof ;)) and has a Gorilla Glass screen. Due to my outdoors-in-all-weather occupation and working from heights, being very rugged and water resistant is a must for me. After eight years of hard living it is still scratch and crack free but the battery is getting harder and harder to get/keep charged (it is on its third battery, fortunately easily replaced, but I think the USB port is wearing out). Been trying to find a replacement but nothing I have been able to find these days match its ruggedness and survivability.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Been trying to find a replacement but nothing I have been able to find these days match its ruggedness and survivability.
There are plenty of phones available that are ruggedized to the same standards as the G'zOne, but you have to get away from the carriers' stores.

I've had a couple of the Kyocera phones. They were extremely rugged but have so many other design flaws that I no longer recommend them.

I just bought a Blackview BV5500 Pro a month ago. It's IP68 rated and is available on Amazon for $140 unlocked. It's not cutting edge but so far it does seem well built and it works way better than the Kyocera. I've submerged it a couple of times and also dropped it with no issues. Best of all I don't have to stress about destroying a $1000+ phone in the next rain storm.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
My actual original query was motorcycle specific GPS vs standard car GPS (ZUMO vs Nuvi/Drive series) with the car GPS being mounted in a waterproof (as if there is actually anything that is 100% waterproof) case
I would be skeptical that any case can truly be waterproof while also leaving the GPS usable while wearing gloves. What case are you considering? I'm definitely interested in the idea.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I just bought a Blackview BV5500 Pro a month ago. It's IP68 rated and is available on Amazon for $140 unlocked.
Darn it... Had me excited for a moment. Found it straight away but every listing I can find says "NOT compatible with Verizon". :( Thanks for the idea, however. Never considered just buying one from Amazon.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I haven using a Garmin Dezl 770 for about 4 years now and maybe 125,000 miles. I have used it in the rain, snow, sand and wind with no issues.

I bought the Dezl 770 because it cost $300 and can connect to a Bluetooth headset like my Sena and still connect to a cell phone by Bluetooth just like my Garmin BMW Nav 6. The Dezl 770 is a very good alternative to a $800 Zumo.

Here is a link to my webpage with some information regarding using the Dezl 770.

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html