New Garmin Zumo XT Review - Updated

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Okay and thank you for your SUPER speedy reply. One last question and I think I already know the answer - I am betting you are NOT a Mac user - correct? Thanks once again. Jim
Jim, you are correct. I am a Windows guy since I was on the beta team 25 years ago :)

There are not enough users who are using a Mac to be able to get support on questions answered.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Anyone find a way to turn off the speed zone alert? Everything the speed zone changes the XT will pause music or intercom for an audible alert. It's annoying and I cannot find a way to disable it like I can with other alerts.

Greg - Thanks. I was hoping there was someone who had experience with Base Camp for Mac. I've watched the videos online and find it super frustrating. For now, it is a whole lot easier for me to do routing with Google Maps but it would have been nice to be able to get the maps into the Garmin XT. Appreciate your help. Jim

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg - Thanks. I was hoping there was someone who had experience with Base Camp for Mac. I've watched the videos online and find it super frustrating. For now, it is a whole lot easier for me to do routing with Google Maps but it would have been nice to be able to get the maps into the Garmin XT. Appreciate your help. Jim
I have helped some with Basecamp on Mac's so what is the problem you are having?

Marc11 - I just went into my XT and was/did disable the speeding alert simply by touching the box on the far right of the alert. My box had a 'check mark' in the box - I touched the box and the 'check mark' disappered. I found the alert under: 'all settings' 'driver assistance' 'speeding alerts' Hope this helps.

Thanks for the good information on the XT. The 396LMT-S is available for about half the cost - Is the 396 a workable solution for getting started in rallies or is the 396 a waste of money at this point? I do have the weather radar overlay on my built in nav, so that feature doesn't hurt to lose. What are your thoughts?

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the good information on the XT. The 396LMT-S is available for about half the cost - Is the 396 a workable solution for getting started in rallies or is the 396 a waste of money at this point? I do have the weather radar overlay on my built in nav, so that feature doesn't hurt to lose. What are your thoughts?
Yes, the 396LMT and many other GPS's are very good for rallies and will server you just fine.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I may have found a possible issue with the power cords on the new Zumo XT's.

Garmin moved the power transformer ( 12 volts to 5 volts ) to the hardwired power cord. It is a small black box. The black box may not be waterproof as I found on two rides that after riding in heavy rain the Zumo XT would switch between hardwire powered and internal battery powered.

On my last ride I waterproofed the black box power transformer and the issue of switching between hardwired powered and internal battery power did not happen.

I will keep monitoring.

Greg I just ordered the Garmin XT. I ride a Can-Am Spyder and currently have the Zumo 595. Will I have to run new wiring or should the existing wiring work. Also you said that the transformer didn’t appear to be waterproofed. How did you waterproof it? Thanks for your advice.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg I just ordered the Garmin XT. I ride a Can-Am Spyder and currently have the Zumo 595. Will I have to run new wiring or should the existing wiring work. Also you said that the transformer didn’t appear to be waterproofed. How did you waterproof it? Thanks for your advice.
Garmin in their wisdom made a new wire harness for the Zumo XT. It has the power transformer built into the wire harness. So you will have to run the new wire harness.

bikerbill

IBR Finisher
I had a quirk yesterday regarding the Fuel Status system. At one point an Alert came up saying that it was not in its Motorcycle Mount and the Fuel Status went completely away, even its listing in the menus was gone. But the unit was still charging. This morning I saw that it had changed itself to Automobile mode so I changed it back to Motorcycle mode and the Fuel Status returned.

Hope this helps someone else in case it happens to you.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mine died on a ride last week. Garmin overnighted a replacement that will be here tomorrow. In the meantime, inspecting everything again last night, I discovered the bottom contact on the harness just flops around - meaning it seems it may have caused all this as it is not connected to the wire any longer.

I'll be calling support again tomorrow about that contact failure.

Side note: when mine went south, it would not take a charge from the mini-USB as well.

biquer

Premier Member
I was on a long trip at the weekend and spent 4 or 5 hours in heavy rain. My XT is currently angled upwards at about 25 degrees. During heavy rain the screen started changing, I just put it back to the map screen and carried on, however it became obvious that the rain was triggering the screen. It would bring up the 'next turn' screen or the 'trip data' screen etc. It happened maybe 10-12 times and stopped when the rain stopped. Not ideal.

FJ2112

Premier Member
Hello all. I have purchased the XT to replace my aging Zumo 660lm. I had a protective weather cap for the 660 but have not found a similar offering for the XT. Can anyone speak to the water resistance/waterproofness of the unprotected cradle?

@Greg Rice I found your great web site and XT review. Very much appreciated.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The XT has a small rubber "cap" that just fits over the exposed pressure plug when the XT is not on the cradle. It's attached to the plug end of the cable. I haven't needed to use mine yet but have had the XT exposed to riding in the rain with no ill effects. Wasn't your basic frog strangler, but the GPS did get a bit of a bath.

As always, YMMV.