IBA Mile Eater Program - Feed Your Passion!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Nice synopsis, Eric!

(Note it says "ride" If you got two certs for the same ride, (nesting), that doesn't count as two rides, only one.)
In one of the multitude of threads here about ride nesting, the term I used for descriptive purposes is 'line of demarcation'. There has to be a clear distinction that one ride ended, some period of time elapsed, then another ride began.

413Sean

Premier Member
Nice synopsis, Eric!

In one of the multitude of threads here about ride nesting, the term I used for descriptive purposes is 'line of demarcation'. There has to be a clear distinction that one ride ended, some period of time elapsed, then another ride began.
Ken, the "line of demarcation" is what made it perfectly clear to me and the light bulb stopped fluttering for once (I believe it actually popped haha) about nesting rides. I believe you shared this explanation with another group of enablers on a different forum, which cleared up may questions there as well. You have a good way with words. Now get that wrist healed up so the wing can twist it!

Sean

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice synopsis, Eric!

I like that terminology, but it's not completely true for nested rides. I absolutely agree that there has to be a clear distinction that one ride ended. Well put, and that confuses some people first looking at the nested ride idea. But by the nature of a nested ride, I don't see the need for what you call 'some period of time elapsed' before the next ride begins. Nested rides in some cases share a start point/time.

Take SS1K and BB1500 for example. You get one start receipt for both rides, you follow the basic rules of the ride and get an end receipt before 24 hours documenting your SS1k. But you're feeling good, so you head back out to do 500 more before the 36 hour window cuts off on the BB1500. Maybe you took a nap or slept for X hours after the SS1K, but the start was the same for both rides, so there isn't a line of demarcation, as I understand your use of that term. A line of demarcation would be two distinct rides, each with a separate starting receipt in different locations.

Doing a BB1500 in 36 hours does not by default mean you did a SS1K, so its a valid nested ride scenario. I know a few people that missed the 24 hour window on their SS1K attempts, so got some sleep and pushed on for the 1500 in 36 hour BB1500 ride with success.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
When they say it can be done over several years, how many do they mean?
can certs used to qualify for one level be used towards a higher level?
All of the Mile Eater awards (except for the Silver which has a one-year time limit) are meant to be lifetime achievement awards. So "several years" means as many years as you need. :)

Naturally, if one gets to the Gold level (for example) and applies for the award and then sometime later hits the Platinum level by completing the additional needed rides, then the earlier rides would count towards to Platinum certificate.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I was wondering how long it generally takes to certify a Mile Eater Platinum. I made my submission on May 25, and aside from the automated reply, I haven't heard anything. If this is still within the normal time it takes to process the certification, I'll just hang tight. But I would like to know if I should contact somebody. Thanks.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I would suspect the biggest factor is simply getting to you in the pile of other cert requests. To my limited knowledge the cert requests are spread among several teams and no one team is responsible for just Mile Eater certs. All of your rides have been certified already, perhaps with the exception of the last one if you turned both in together. So it's really only a matter of them getting to it in the pile. That could be 2-3 months this time of year. When you see your check cashed, you know you're IN! :)

Redwing56

Premier Member
Evening all
I have 2 BBG and 3 SS1K, can I apply for the silver since they were all in 12 months or so I have to start at bronze? If I start at Bronze, can I apply for silver or do I need another 5 rides? Sounds like a silver is actually 10 rides?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Evening all
I have 2 BBG and 3 SS1K, can I apply for the silver since they were all in 12 months or so I have to start at bronze? If I start at Bronze, can I apply for silver or do I need another 5 rides? Sounds like a silver is actually 10 rides?
Mile Eater SILVER
ALL rides must take place in 12 consecutive months from first ride to last ride for all rides(1 year start to finish)

Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration, in ONE YEAR OR one certified ride per month during a one year period (12 rides in 12 months - one per month)

You don't have to start at bronze. If your 5 certs were all separate rides and in a 12 consecutive month period, you're good for the silver. Apply away.

yakulis

Premier Member
"... the different categories of Eggsanity certification were added so earning a "Gold level" certificate meant riding to a certain number of different breakfast chains but isn't a "Gold" in the true sense of IBA lingo. "
Is this an opinion, or is it officially stated somewhere? I am working towards my Mile Eater Bronze certification, and I was planning on using my already completed EggSanity Gold as one of the two Gold rides. How can it be called Gold if it isn't Gold?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Is this an opinion, or is it officially stated somewhere? I am working towards my Mile Eater Bronze certification, and I was planning on using my already completed EggSanity Gold as one of the two Gold rides. How can it be called Gold if it isn't Gold?
The Eggsanity Gold ride is not a true "gold" ride, because the Eggsanity rides are all SS1K rides, which are not "gold" rides. A Gold ride is significantly more difficult in mileage or hours than a SS1K or BB type ride. The Eggsanity rides are the same SS1K ride with a progression of the number of stops, so they just used the same format of std, silver, gold. Sorry, you will need another Gold level ride to qualify for your Mile Eater Bronze. If that doesn't make sense to you, I'm sure @Ira will be along at some point to give an official answer.

yakulis

Premier Member
The Eggsanity Gold ride is not a true "gold" ride, because the Eggsanity rides are all SS1K rides, which are not "gold" rides. A Gold ride is significantly more difficult in mileage or hours than a SS1K or BB type ride. The Eggsanity rides are the same SS1K ride with a progression of the number of stops, so they just used the same format of std, silver, gold. Sorry, you will need another Gold level ride to qualify for your Mile Eater Bronze. If that doesn't make sense to you, I'm sure @Ira will be along at some point to give an official answer.
Thank you for your response, Eric. Your logic makes sense, and I thought you were giving me an official answer, but it looks like Ira needs to way in for it to be official according to your post. However, earlier this year, I spent a significant amount of time looking for all of the "Gold" rides to consider my options. In my research, I also found a few such as the Solar Eclipse 1000 Gold and the Heaven to Hell 1000 Gold which were also labeled as Gold-level rides. Obviously, the Solar Eclipse was a one-time thing.

This morning, I looked at the records and found these individuals where it appears that they used these 1000 mile Gold rides to count towards their Bronze or Silver status.

Simon Clement - Mile Eater Silver 2018
BIT NIPPY 1000 11/04/17
Not So Nippy 1000 05/05/18
EggSanity 1000 GOLD 06/17/18
Bun Burner GOLD 1500 08/15/18
Bun Burner 1500 09/15/18
Fall Classic SS1000 09/29/18

Raymond Piatt - Mile Eater Bronze 2018
Civil War 2k 09/24/15
Mufflerman 1000 08/27/16
EggSanity 1000 GOLD 09/28/16
IBA Big as Texas World Capitals 1000 09/30/16
Solar Eclipse 1000 Gold 08/21/17
IBA Grand Tour 1000 03/15/18

Teri Ligon - Mile Eater Silver 2014
SaddleSore 1000 July 13, 2013
Heaven to Hell 1000 GOLD August 17, 2013
Bun Burner 1500 May 17, 2014
50cc Quest June 16, 2014
US Route 50 Coast to Coast June 24, 2014

Eric - I am not doubting your knowledge or vast level of riding experience and accomplishments that certainly well surpass mine, I am just looking to find the official documentation that differentiates between the Gold-level rides. I understand your explanation, but I can't find it anywhere officially, and it looks like there is precedent for including those rides.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ultimately it is up to the IBA to decide what is acceptable. Like you, I'm just another IBA member.

To me, it makes sense that SS1K based "gold" rides would not be accepted, but I do not represent an official answer. There is a lot more difficulty in a BBG than an Eggsanity Gold, IMHO. I have a Solar Eclipse 1000 Gold cert and would not consider that a "gold" level ride in terms of difficulty. There were added parameters to meet for gold, just as the Eggsanity Gold cert, but it was not a challenging ride like the 5 state BBG ride I did in the past. OTOH, the Heaven to Hell 1000 Gold is significantly more challenging than the Heaven to Hell ride. A lot more off interstate and slower, more technical roads w/o any more time than any other SS1K. Not to mention the lack of a DBR location at the top of Mt Evans, (or Pikes Peak at O'Dark thirty).

Please keep in mind that there are several verification teams and an individual team might make decisions based solely upon the "gold" in the cert name, rather than looking at the difficulty, unless and until further clarification was given.

I'm sure Ira will chime in once he has found the answer. That will be your official answer.

I personally would not turn in a SS1K ride of any kind and expect it to qualify as a "gold" ride for the Mile Eater series. The Mile Eater series is over your lifetime of rides, (except the Silver), so it's not really the same as working to something like the 12 Ides Gold that requires sequential rides.

Edit - Not to put too fine a point on it, but looking for an 'easy' way to get a Mile Eater Bronze isn't really in the spirit of the cert.

yakulis

Premier Member
Edit - Not to put too fine a point on it, but looking for an 'easy' way to get a Mile Eater Bronze isn't really in the spirit of the cert.
Thank you again, Eric. I appreciate your opinions.

You may be misinterpreting my goal. Not looking for an easy way out, just looking to earn the cert by following the rules, just as any other cert.

I am guessing that the "spirit of the cert" ideology falls into the similar emotional category as the difference of opinion between nested rides and the "one ride - one cert" belief.