SOLD Maple Farkles BMW R1200RT Pillion Maunted Auxiliary Tank

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
Hi All,
I am looking to sell my auliary tank. I purchased it from Maple Farkles October 2016, it was damaged during the 2017 IBR, and repaired by Mike of Maple Farkles September 2017. I have used it a few times since then, but no longer have my RT which is why it is for sale.

The item is located in Switzerland, so shipping to the US or UK, for example will add extra cost. Orignal price was ca. $ 500 + Shipping. Open to best offer.
download.png download (2).png download (3).png download (4).png

PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
It fits 2014-2017. I do not know if it will fit other models as well.. The mounting brackets are included along with the SS bolts (brackets are shown in the second photo on the table). Additional items that would be needed are the fuel line, fuel filter, quick disconnects for the fuel line, and hardware to connect to the tank. Maple Farkles has a good video on the installation and can also provide specifics on the specs for hardware and bolts. See, for example,

Last edited:

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Scott,
I only see one mount in the photos. Can you send a photo of the bike bracket/mounts. I don’t care about the fuel system hardware I have what I need already.
I have the video.
Robert

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
The mount consists of three parts, which I have bolted together. First picture shows front-to-back as it would be mounted. Second picture shows the assembly upside-down for perpective.

download (6).png download (7).png

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Scott,
Thanks. I see now. I only need those 3 brackets/mounts to mount a seat rack. Let me know about shipping an empty ‘gas can’ from Europe
Robert

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
Hi Robert,
Swiss post charges for a parcel up to 10 kg (the tank + bracket weighs ca. 6 kg on my bathroom scale): $85 for international economy (11-15 business days) or $116 for international priority (4-8 business days).
Scott

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Have you looked into any specific "purging" requirements for shipping a container that once contained gasoline?

USPS, for example, provides the following guidance:

Each of the items listed above <a list of items and machines that typically contain gasoline> is potentially mailable but only under one of the following conditions:

a.The item has never contained fuel, or

b.The fuel and all vapors have been completely purged from the item.

Note: If the item emits a fuel odor or if any residue is present on the outside or inside of the item, then the item is not completely purged.

Items containing fuel or fuel vapors are not mailable under any circumstances. Simply removing the fuel from an item does not make the item acceptable for mailing. Fuel tanks containing only vapors can have a greater explosion risk and thus become more hazardous than tanks that are full or partially full of fuel. The fuel must be removed, and all vapors must be purged to allow these items to be safely mailed.

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
Hi Stephen,
Thank you for your comments. It should be intuitively obvious for those well versed in the art. ;) But, it never hurts to be made aware of the USPS details and benefits others who might have considered that aspect of buying a used tank.

In this case, the tank has been open (drained, bottom valve and cap off, purged with a fan for 2 hours) and then left open and protected from dust since October 2019. There hasn't been a scent of fuel since then. As it is not a plastic tank and has no foam baffles, it is clean as the wind driven snow...:cool:

Scott

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Stephen,
Thank you for your comments. It should be intuitively obvious for those well versed in the art. ;) But, it never hurts to be made aware of the USPS details and benefits others who might have considered that aspect of buying a used tank.

In this case, the tank has been open (drained, bottom valve and cap off, purged with a fan for 2 hours) and then left open and protected from dust since October 2019. There hasn't been a scent of fuel since then. As it is not a plastic tank and has no foam baffles, it is clean as the wind driven snow...:cool:

Scott
You can also easily purge a tank by sealing the vent and petcock with tape and running a small hose from a running engine exhaust into the tank filler for a while then close the cap and seal with tape. It's what I did when I shipped my old aux tank without issue or concern.

KAPOW

Rock'n the ride!
Premier Member
Scott, Is the tank still for sale? I am interested in mounting it on a 2020 R1250RT. I am receptive to loaning brackets to Robert so he could have a new set fabricated locally.

Dennis Peters

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Dennis,
Thank you, that would help me out a lot with my camping gear stowage problem. And before you say it, YES, I carry too much 'stuff'! But, don't we all?
Robert

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
Scott, Is the tank still for sale? I am interested in mounting it on a 2020 R1250RT. I am receptive to loaning brackets to Robert so he could have a new set fabricated locally.

Dennis Peters
Hi Dennis,

Yes it is. I have also posted it on eBay with a buy-now price of 200 (roughly, as I had to use ebay.ch, so the listing is price is in Swiss Francs).

Best regards,
Scott