CORNER/TURNING POINT

what should I do if there's not a gas station at a corner/turning point? What is considered a major corner/ turning point? leaving Sunday and Thank You

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Get a receipt as close as possible to the turning point? Either before the turn or after would work. Use spotwalla and have a track of your ride. A few options for you.

CB650F

Premier Member
If there is no gas station, grab a cup of coffee at McDonalds. Or get a $5 souvenir at that hole-in-the-wall place. Or a candy bar at a 24 hour Walgreens. Or grab $20 from an ATM cuz they usually have really good receipts. There is probably something at a corner you can get.

I typically plot out my route on Google Maps. If I have to drag the route around, whatever point I dragged the route to is a corner that should get a DBR. If Google Maps automatically plots the route I want to take by just putting in my start and end points, I don't worry about corner receipts. There is really no corner to document. I also have Spotwalla tracking me while I ride so that helps too.

If I start in Houston, then go to Dallas, then over to Jackson, down to Baton Rouge, then back to Houston, I'd get one at each of those cities when I switch from a north/south interstate to an east/west one. (I don't know if that's a good route or not. I didn't look up the mileage, just assumed based on what I know of that area of the country. I think that makes a decent square shape.) For an out and back type ride, I try to stay on a single interstate and just make sure I get a good receipt at the turnaround point.

Edit* Oh, good luck on your ride.
2nd Edit* I was curious, so I mapped out that route. 15.5 hours and 1075 miles all on major interstates. It's actually a pretty good route for an SS1000 as long as you don't hit Houston around rush hour. I-45 northbound can be an absolute nightmare!

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Remember that the idea is to make it obvious that you rode the route you claim and didn't cut a corner. As CB650 said, it doesn't have to be a gas receipt, any DBR with all the correct info will do. ATMs are popular, but remember that you can just check your balance and get a receipt, you don't have to draw out cash.

Typically when I plan the route I put in the location I start and end at with any major turn around points in a mapping program like google maps and see if it cuts a corner on the route I was thinking of riding. If it does, then I pick a 'corner' where I can find a business where I can get a receipt. Sometimes things happen when you're on the ride, business hours change, close, burn down, whatever. Just find something else near by and do the best you can. If need be, you can add a note when you submit your ride explaining what happened.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
What is considered a major corner/ turning point?
The easiest way to answer this is (essentially) if there's a major change in road number (You're exiting Interstate X onto U.S. Route Y). There *are* exceptions to this, and I will have one in an upcoming ride myself.

Eric's last two sentences above are what's key in interpretation of a change in direction. If you don't think you need to explain it, you don't have to. If you think you should explain it...as Ira has stated (paraphrasing) never been a ride declined with too much information.

Good luck!

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I said this on Facebook, but... this (like nesting..) comes up enough, that I wonder if adding some visual aids (like sample maps of corners, marked with where/why we ask for these) would be useful _in addition_ to the current explanations?

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Sometimes things happen when you're on the ride, business hours change, close, burn down, whatever. Just find something else near by and do the best you can. If need be, you can add a note when you submit your ride explaining what happened.
I've always assumed that this was a good example of why submitting a spotwalla (or whatever) track in addition to receipts was a good idea, to help smooth out the "story" of the ride.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've always assumed that this was a good example of why submitting a spotwalla (or whatever) track in addition to receipts was a good idea, to help smooth out the "story" of the ride.
The more complex the ride, the more help a spotwalla track will be to confirm what your route was. That said, I've had spot pings jump all over and make a mess too. If you have a strait forward route, more documentation isn't bad, but it's not necessary to overwhelm the verification teams. :)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I said this on Facebook, but... this (like nesting..) comes up enough, that I wonder if adding some visual aids (like sample maps of corners, marked with where/why we ask for these) would be useful _in addition_ to the current explanations?
As you might know, the official ride documentation was cleaned up and reorganized a few years ago.

https://www.ironbutt.org/rides/ and https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/index.html

I've always thought a simple method of explaining ride nesting (https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/nesting.html) might be annotated with an example described by the use of a simple Gantt Chart, showing the total time needed to accomplish both the major ride and the minor ride.

CB650F

Premier Member
Yup! You can't possibly submit too much to the verification team. Maybe they only need your receipts to verify your route and mileage/time requirements. If that's the case, they just won't look at your Spotwalla track. When I send in paperwork, I even include a written ride report with it. Maybe they read it. Maybe they don't. Best case, it clears up some confusion. Worst case, I wrote it for nothing. Spotwalla track is the same in my mind. It could help, but can't possibly hurt anything and might not even get looked at.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As you might know, the official ride documentation was cleaned up and reorganized a few years ago.

https://www.ironbutt.org/rides/ and https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/index.html

I've always thought a simple method of explaining ride nesting (https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/nesting.html) might be annotated with an example described by the use of a simple Gantt Chart, showing the total time needed to accomplish both the major ride and the minor ride.
Gantt chart???? :)