Can a Bun Burner Gold Be completed on a Stock 2018+ Goldwing?

c10

Texas is triple digits ! On my SS1000 though west texas on I 10 I was doing mid 80's and SUV's / cars were passing me like I was going 65 . Sped up a few times to pace a few cars and yep 102 to 104 for many .

Hey Cosmic,
While not exactly the bike you were asking about I was able to finish a BBG on a 2007 gl1800 with a stock gas tank. It just happened to be on the summer solstice last year. We did 11 gas stops, not counting the last one to get the finish time receipt. We went from Spokane, Wa to Gillette, Wy. and back to Spokane.
Hello Winger;

How much time did you have to spare? unfortunately the newer goldwings have a smaller gas tank than the previous generation. Last week when I did a SS1k from Tacoma, to Missoula, & back I was getting roughly 33mpg and stopping every ~150-160miles. I know I will loose at least 1hr to gas stops. But a little concerned about making time. Saddlesores take me roughly 17hrs to complete (7:30am-12:30am last run).

Tep_52

Premier Member
As far as the new wings go you can't use greg as an example. He is super human. As for fuel economy I was just getting 38 mpg yesterday going from delaware to southern Virginia. And now I was not being nice to it or going for fuel economy

As far as the new wings go you can't use greg as an example. He is super human. As for fuel economy I was just getting 38 mpg yesterday going from delaware to southern Virginia. And now I was not being nice to it or going for fuel economy
The way I ride the bike says I average 32-35mpg. Realistically I get about 33 mpg which is the same mileage I make on my 2009 vmax. Sadly the tank in the goldwing is a little smaller than the extended tank I have in my vmax. But the good thing is that I'm used to the overall range.

This read makes me feel better about trying to get a Gold, I ride a standard Concours 14 no highway pegs, don't care about cruise control. I was worried about my tank range right now I try to do 150 mile stretches. That Excel sheet made me feed good about hitting the windows.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Last edited:
Don't try to do any of that in south Alabama...

Posted limit 65 mph (highways)
Reality more like 50

Posted limit 70 (interstates)
Reality more like 55

And hope you're at the front of the line if you come to a red light, because it takes them 3 miles to go from 0-30 mph. I bet molasses on a 0.5% grade in the dead of winter picks up speed faster than the average Alabama driver. I wish I could say I was exaggerating.

And that's both lanes when there's practically no traffic. It's actually so bad, they recently made it a law that on the Interstate, you're banned from being in the left lane at all except to pass, and even then you're only allowed to be in the left lane for something like 1 or 1.5 miles (in other words, if you're going to pass, you need to pass and get back over, no lollygagging at 0.5 mph faster than the car you're passing). Though off-interstate, Alabama still has the "slower traffic keep right" laws, but they never enforce them. The general law is, regardless of how fast you're going and what the posted limit is, you have to move right when safe to do so to allow faster traffic to pass (even if you're going over the speed limit). That's actually the bare minimum law in most states in the USA.

Mfs here are so slow and have no respect for left lane laws. Then again, Alabama does always rank in the top 10 worst drivers every year (and more often than not, they're in the top 5 worst drivers). Although, Mississippi always takes the 1 worst drivers every year.

Anyway, it even inspired one of the patches on my vest... it's a "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign, but mirrored. The joke being it will look the right way in their rear view mirror when I am behind them, but it's small enough nobody could read it in actual driving conditions. I'm not a hooligan speed freak either, I only usually do 5 over the posted limit on an empty road/highway, otherwise I just keep with the flow of traffic.

As a general rule average speeds out west are higher than east of the Mississippi. The plains also tend to have higher wind speeds to contend with which affects MPG. My GL1200A is carburetor bike. At 60 mph I can get 40+ In the wind and 75+ mph while riding in North Dakota I was lucky to get 30 MPG.

The magic number for fuel stops for a BBG is 310 miles between stops for a total of 5 stops + start. (Rules require stops every 350 miles)
1550 miles /24hrs = 65.4mph including stops. 5 stops at 10 minutes each leaves 23 hours for riding which has a moving average of 67.4 mph. Increase the number of stops to 10 riding time is reduced to 22.5 hours. Average moving speed will need to be 68.9 mph.

Can your newer Goldwing do the BBG? Yes, but you will have to plan your stops carefully and keep the stop times short, with an average stopping distance of 155 miles.