Help me Farkle my GSA

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I use the Road 6 on my GSA (2013). I can't say enough good about the tire. Rear on my bike is set to last 15k. Front at least that long. Excellent wet and dry characteristics. Availability. As far as I am concerned, if you are staying 90% on road, it's the only choice for me. (As they say, YMMV).
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that was what I had been hearing, but I've been looking at so many different choices over the last few months I'm going cross-eyed.

craydds

Premier Member
Sorry for the delayed response. I was running the Missouri Rally this weekend. What a great time!

For the tube, I just drilled the top to a size that would let the tube pass through. I used a 90 degree elbow as I didn't want it to stick straight up for my application. I didn't seal it. You need venting anyway, or you can't drink very fast, and can get light headed trying to quench your thirst. :D I just used a step bit, and stopped when it passed through. To keep it in the jug, I used zip ties. They also double as hose clamps.

I'll try to get some pics when I clean it out over the next day or two.

I ran this set-up on the HD for IBR21 and just adapted it to the GSA.
THANK YOU!

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
View attachment 8344
BigLew55, that is precisely the Yeti jug and carrier I've been looking at. How did you install the drinking tube? (did I miss an earlier post?) Looks like you just drilled a hole through the lid. Nice set-up!
Lew,
Thanks! Glad you had a great time in Mo!
Sounds simple and practical which always works for me .

Cheers!
I remembered to get the pics... :D Honestly, I think this can be easily over-thought. And I suggest replacing the hose approximately every two years. I found a tube of nastiness when prepping for IBR21, and I was using Food Safe (NSF?) tubing. Drinking Tube 2 20210405_174133.jpg

20220517_063045 2mp.jpg 20220517_063053 2mp.jpg

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'd mention here that you can get the entire hose setup from Motojug.com for $40.

Hose, insulation sleeve, quick release, 90 degree, bite valve and retracting leash for the hose. Price seems competitive to DIY from Amazon.
(*Jug not included*)

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'd mention here that you can get the entire hose setup from Motojug.com for $40.

Hose, insulation sleeve, quick release, 90 degree, bite valve and retracting leash for the hose. Price seems competitive to DIY from Amazon.
Yup ... $40 and a full kit ready to go isn't bad.

And last year, David was at the start and offered free replacement hose set ups to his customers. I had already bought a replacement earlier in the year, but that was an awesome gesture.

I once saw @Kendoo hydration hose and was scared straight. By his reckoning Lew would have maybe 2 more years left in his :D

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I remembered to get the pics... :D Honestly, I think this can be easily over-thought. And I suggest replacing the hose approximately every two years. I found a tube of nastiness when prepping for IBR21, and I was using Food Safe (NSF?) tubing. View attachment 8443
A trick I found is to mix white vinegar and water in the jug and fill the tube. Leave it until ready to ride again and no mold.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I thought I'd circle back and round out this thread. Thanks to everyone who helped me get his bike up to speed for rallies. It has served me well, and I don't have any near-term plans to replace it. I won't try to list everything I've done to it, but feel free to ask questions if you see something that catches your eye. There is a lot of info from the build throughout this thread as well. This is pretty close to how it ran in IBR23.
20230915_115758 2.jpg
20230915_115735 2.jpg 20230915_115743 2.jpg
20230915_115835 2.jpg 20230915_120002 2.jpg 20230915_120028 2.jpg 20230915_120042 2.jpg

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@BigLew55 how well does the Adaptiv work mounted on the handbar like that? I thought it needed a clear line of sight?
There is a ribbon of forward sight that seems to be enough, although I haven't seen a LASER alert on this one yet. I plan to update my electronics package over the next year or so. I will probably migrate to a V1 if I do.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Lew,

What tire did you run for the IBR23 and what mileage did you get out of it?

My reason for asking is I've just come back from a 6 day ride/8,500km on my R1200 GSA Rallye X up to Darwin (Northern Territory) return to Canberra and I started with a brand new Michelin Road 6 and it's done/needs replacing.

Cheers

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Lew,

My reason for asking is I've just come back from a 6 day ride/8,500km on my R1200 GSA Rallye X up to Darwin (Northern Territory) return to Canberra and I started with a brand new Michelin Road 6 and it's done/needs replacing.

Cheers
Dunlop Trailmax Missions will get you 18,000 km or more from the rear and over 25,000 km on your front.

They make a little noise, make a little vibes and like to wiggle a bit on tar snakes but they are up to the task.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Lew,

Cheers
I've been running the dunlop tourmax missions. I've been getting about 17k to 18k per each rear. I've been changing the front around 18 to 19k but they were not to the wear bars yet. I've noticed that they start to make a bit more noise is all.

If you pull up any videos of the IBR start, you might see that most of the adventure bikes were sporting the tourmax missions. They've become the preferred tire for long distance.