RBLR 1000 2022

Firstpeke

My previous post has to be rated "understatment of the year"...... the rain got worse the nearer to Fort William I got.... Glencoe was typically horizontal rain and fierce side wind.... Fort William became rain of Biblical proportions..... and it wasn't warm rain either.....
It was windy up at Wick, but then it has been that way on my last several visits there.....

There was a bit of a headwind on the M62 as well, I did put a gallon in at Rivington to ensure I got to Glasgow before needing more, that gallon cost £9.10.... ouch.

All that said, I enjoyed the ride, finishing just before midnight, which was ahead of my plan, despite the last minute frustration of a diversion through a bit of Newcastle due to an A1 closure!

One shock was that between filling up at Morrisons in Knottingley on Friday night and again on Sunday morning, the price pre litre went up 5 pence.

£40 to fill the bike......eek!

A very big thank you to all those involved in organising and managing this event, it was my first RBLR1000 but hopefully not my last!

BZ to all who took part, especially the North route, that was...... challenging.......

Last edited:

Capt Sisko

I've got to agree about that 'weather' over Rannoch Moor, Glen Coe and from the point of view for us anti-clockwisers it wasn't any better either. I rode into the proper rain just somewhere south of Inverness having previously been feeling quite smug about having missed most of the showers. Just after Fort William the rain petered out and I thought, was that it, that weather forecast wasn't very good was it. Oh how wrong was I! Some people might use the phrase, Character Building, I'd just call it bloody wet.

Last edited:
A big thanks to all the organisers for the RBLR1000, completed my 4th 1000 this weekend amid high winds and heavy dew. Hope the lady's taking photos can post them up here, there should be some nice ones.

Attachments

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Wet windy and bloody hard work especially across Rannoch moor/ Glen Coe at one point i was blown across the road :eek:
By the time we got to Ft William it was of biblical portions there was about twenty of us waiting at the fuel stop for it to pass
from there to Wick and back to the finish it was dry but windy.
21 1/2 hours and £200.00 in fuel FFS.
A big pat on the back for the organizers and all participants

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
There was less rain than forecast but as you say that 50 miles of wind and rain into Fort William was the bitter that made the rest of the ride more sweet. We left Fort William at 12:45 and the 4 hour ride to Wick was the best riding of the day.

Hi all, just dropping in to say hello and thank you to all the organisers and volunteers.

I had a great time and enjoyed the ride. I did the NC route and it was definitely a bit damp. I’m already looking forward to next years . I might even do an end to end or something before then as well.

9034DFEC-C0A1-4F33-B776-0E009451E469.jpeg

Ian M

did anyone who went north anti-clcokwise use the Crianlarich, Callander, Stilring, M9, M90, M73 route instead of along the side of Loch Lomond ?

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Wet windy and bloody hard work especially across Rannoch moor/ Glen Coe at one point i was blown across the road :eek:
By the time we got to Ft William it was of biblical portions there was about twenty of us waiting at the fuel stop for it to pass
from there to Wick and back to the finish it was dry but windy.
21 1/2 hours and £200.00 in fuel FFS.
A big pat on the back for the organizers and all participants
Rode with Megabuck.
18 hours clockwise, Via Crianlarich. Couple of stops for McD's. One at Ft William, the other at Berwick. Back to the hotel for a couple of beers before bed.

No such thing as the wrong weather;)

As you say Big thanks to the team.

Capt Sisko

did anyone who went north anti-clcokwise use the Crianlarich, Callander, Stilring, M9, M90, M73 route instead of along the side of Loch Lomond ?
Yeah, me. I've both driven & ridden along the side of the Loch Lomond before and found it really busy, too many coaches, motorhomes and traffic for a narrow twisty road, so I chose the alternative route you've described, and was well glad I did. Most of it was good open sweeping roads & no traffic. Cut across on a B road for the last few miles and there you are, at the roundabout where the motorway starts. Facilities along the alternative route are obviously less and in practice it's no faster either. I'd had a bloke behind me as we approached Crainlarich, and he'd been behind me for ages so riding roughly at the same pace as me. He turned right, I went straight ahead and literally as I joined the M74 south, there he was again! Next time I will use the alternative route again.

Last edited:

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
You'll notice a difference after sunset, with reduced visability the Glasgow bypass Crianlarich to M73 route is quicker

John ZRX

Not sure if this is the place to ask this but to date (7th September) I have not yet received my 2022 patch. I note some on here have acknowledged receipt of theirs so who do I approach about mine, please

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Assuming you ordered a 2022 RBLR 1000 patch when you entered the ride you should have received it long ago. The person to contact is either Mark Fowler or Graeme Dawson, there is a list of contacts here. If you didn't order a 2022 patch there are still some available in the IBA UK shop, you'll need your IBA member number to order.

John ZRX

Assuming you ordered a 2022 RBLR 1000 patch when you entered the ride you should have received it long ago. The person to contact is either Mark Fowler or Graeme Dawson, there is a list of contacts here. If you didn't order a 2022 patch there are still some available in the IBA UK shop, you'll need your IBA member number to order.
Thanks for your reply, John. Yes I did pre order and pay for one with my entry. Not given it too much thought since finishing the ride just assumed it would arrive in due course. I'll do as you suggest.