Planning and preparation are key to having an enjoyable IBA experience

IBA ZX-9R

I’ve only been able to accomplish the minimum SS1K, having just completed my fifth on Monday 06/13/22. I’m still sore and somewhat loopy from the experience, but I think this is the appropriate time to pass on why I feel strength and conditioning (fitness) are so important to the pre-ride preparation of any LD ride.

As I’ve written and defended in other threads, some people may ignore their fitness and get away with accomplishing an IBA ride cold turkey, like a SS1K/SS1600 KM. But strength and conditioning go a long way to making accomplishing such a ride feat easier and thus more enjoyable.

I’m of the mindset that when I accomplished my first SS1K in 2017, I hadn’t done enough preparation. The last 100 miles, I was into risky territory, physically and mentally. So before thinking about doing another ride in 2018, I changed my diet and lost something like 27 lbs in the process of working out, building up fitness. It made a huge difference! I’m talking night and day. Everything was better! The 2018 ride experience was an Epic thrill.

Instead of just surviving, like I did in 2017, I was literally swinging my legs off the bike as I passed along the Pacific coast’s CA-1. I was soaking it all in, the scenery, the sights and unforgettable sweet potpourri of ocean and flowery smells!

2019 was another great SS1K ride I dropped weight for through conditioning, when I traveled to Montana for the 4th of July holiday. I skipped 2020 due to Covid restrictions, but again dropped weight gained in the interim for another Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) SS1K ride in 2021. I loved ‘nearly’ every minute of them.

There’s another thing I’ve learned about myself from all of these minimum LD rides on a sportbike; my body’s pain receptors get exhausted too. After about five hours of sending signals of aches and pains, they just give up. And the more fit I am, the sooner they give up. Which translates to most of the ride where I feel as fresh as I did during my first 60 miles. And who doesn’t want to feel that fresh heading into the last 100 miles?!!

Eat healthy. Hydrate with water. Get on your exercise bike or whatever exercise regiment you prefer, as well as, on your MC months prior to your ride. You’ll have a more enjoyable, clearer and more mentally focused IBA experience.

So when non-IBA member riders question why anyone, like you, would want to torture themselves on a MC for 22 hours just for a piece of congratulatory paper, you’ll have an answer they may not expect. That piece of paper is just proof of accomplishment. I’d tell them, I may have already forgotten most of what I’ve done in the thousands of hours prior to those 22, but thanks to the IBA's member certification requirements, I will never forget and will be longing for when I get to take in what I experienced in those precious unforgettable hours riding my MC on an IBA ride... again and again and again.

AirbusFlieger

Thank you very much for that. I’m in my mid 50’s and is a goal of mine to finish an IBR before getting “too old” to finish.

Looking at the last two IBR top 3 finishers, they are logging epic miles on top of epic bonus location.

For me to finish an IBR, and complete the necessary prerequisites to apply, my fitness level must be high.

I’ve started my regimen and wanted to add to your experience.

-No alcohol
-no coffee
-limited sugar
-limited processed foods
-Participate in noom, paying close attention.
-strength based movement training, my sons football coach gave me a training regimen that combines movement and resistance.
-yoga for flexibility, breathing, and joints.
-swim/run, currently at :30 minutes and want to build up to more.

For those of us “of a certain age” having a high fitness level will limit injury and increase stamina.

I’ve been at it for a month and I’ve noticed:
-blood pressure dropped from stage 1 hypertension to 105-107/70-75.
-resting heart rate went from mid to high 60’s to an average of 57z
-lost 14 pounds, I’mblessed that my metabolism is not low, I’m a naturally thin dude, and was not far from my ideal weight to begin with. I’m at my ideal weight now and am focusing on strength and stamina.
-feel really energetic
-cognitive clarity, I remember where my keys are, directions, things people said and stuff I read. It’s noticeable, processing speed is quicker too. I swear it’s like my brain is younger.

I’m no expert at health/fitness nor do I have any credentials. This is my own personal discoveries and I hope it’s useful to others.

Thank you for the thread.

IBA ZX-9R

Are you also going straight to the Rally (IBR) vs. starting with the minimum SS1K? I work with an IBR rider. We've had a lot of great conversations about the subject. I never realized the IBR was competitive If you're trying to be in the top three, that's a lofty goal you're going to have to push yourself to achieve. Even he said, those guys are on another super-human level.

But practice harder than you compete and you could surprise yourself. Good luck. Go for it!

AirbusFlieger

Are you also going straight to the Rally (IBR) vs. starting with the minimum SS1K? I work with an IBR rider. We've had a lot of great conversations about the subject. I never realized the IBR was competitive If you're trying to be in the top three, that's a lofty goal you're going to have to push yourself to achieve. Even he said, those guys are on another super-human level.

But practice harder than you compete and you could surprise yourself. Good luck. Go for it!
I just want to finish. Not going “straight into the Rally”.

It’s my goal to get accepted into the ‘25 IBR and will do LDR rally’s leading up to the IBR, as well as a fitness/nutrition regimen which I hope to maintain permanently.

Having a goal like completing an IBR is a motivator for my health and fitness.
Thanks for the reply.

IBA ZX-9R

...a fitness/nutrition regimen which I hope to maintain permanently....Having a goal like completing an IBR is a motivator for my health and fitness.

:D I'm trying to maintain that level of fitness as well. So far, so good.

maxrider

Premier Member
For what it is worth, both of you guys hit the nail on the head, as so many others have stated before, the physical fitness and nutrition and riding on the MC have done equally improvements for me.
Looking so forward to the next LD rides, glad that I took that previously posted advice, and you guys confirmed it again for me.

AirbusFlieger

I could not hang tough with “no coffee” I enjoy my morning coffee too much evidently.

However I keep to 2 cups in the morning and no more window of circadian low coffee around 3pm, and no more evening/after diner coffee. This seems a livable compromise.
Approaching an LDR ride I will cut out coffee.

Russ Black

Premier Member
It's mind over matter. If you don't mind. it don't matter. Yesterday, I completed a test run of an intentionally slow (21h 43m) SS1000 I'm creating as an homage to/for OSS (Old, Slow & Small displacement) motorcycles in my area. No interstate.

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you very much for that. I’m in my mid 50’s and is a goal of mine to finish an IBR before getting “too old” to finish.

Looking at the last two IBR top 3 finishers, they are logging epic miles on top of epic bonus location.
In my mind you are mixing apples and oranges.
1. Do yo want to finish or do you want to finish in the top 3?
2. What is too old to finish? I have no idea how to finish in the top 3 but I do have an that too old is undefined.
Al Hochberry finished in 2015 at 79. I finished in 2017 as a 71 year old rookie. And I have finished twice since then. And in ‘23 I plan ti be on a team with my granddaughter.

Forget the age business. Ride the miles and get rally experience. That’s the key to finishing (IMHO).

AirbusFlieger

In my mind you are mixing apples and oranges.
1. Do yo want to finish or do you want to finish in the top 3?
2. What is too old to finish? I have no idea how to finish in the top 3 but I do have an that too old is undefined.
Al Hochberry finished in 2015 at 79. I finished in 2017 as a 71 year old rookie. And I have finished twice since then. And in ‘23 I plan ti be on a team with my granddaughter.

Forget the age business. Ride the miles and get rally experience. That’s the key to finishing (IMHO).
I just want to finish.
My navigating skills are horrible. My family calls me the U-Turn King…. Even with a GPS turn by turn I end up making u-turns. To be a top competitor is unrealistic-far beyond my navigation/planning abilities unfortunately.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Fitness always helps in many ways. But you can be as fit as possible and still fail to finish the IBR. It's not a physical challenge, it's a mental one that requires the ability to deal with the logistics, plan a route, given the info you receive in what ever format that may be, understand the scoring methodology and assemble a route to ride in the time window you have. Then repeat that, usually twice more. Dealing with the plan you have going to shit is part of planning, replanning and maintaining a positive attitude and the willingness to do what you need to do to make it happen.

Local knowledge is king. The more you travel and the more rallies you do in different areas, of different formats, the better prepared you will be for the IBR. The ability to understand a city grid system is helpful. Knowing when to ignore your GPS, (or double check where it's trying to send you), is vastly important. You should have a solid mental concept of your route and notes in front of you that help you stay on track and not miss a bonus, knowing how far, and how long it will be to the next bonus, which bonuses to cut if you're not on track, time wise, and which ones to add if you are ahead on your time line.

Finishing the IBR is as much about being willing to keep going, despite adversity, and managing your stopped time, as it is about having a good plan and a solid bike to ride it with.

Last edited:

AirbusFlieger

A treasure trove of god advice. I appreciate that.

Being physically fit helps my mental acuity.

I’m researching bikes now and after selecting one will begin doing rallies. ‘23 and ‘24 will be participating in IB challenges and rallies. I was hoping to apply to the ‘23 IBR but I’m not prepared.

My goal is to hopefully be selected for the ‘25 IBR.

I’ve been in recovery from an illness, and am finally well enough too get into the sport.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A treasure trove of god advice. I appreciate that.

Being physically fit helps my mental acuity.

I’m researching bikes now and after selecting one will begin doing rallies. ‘23 and ‘24 will be participating in IB challenges and rallies. I was hoping to apply to the ‘23 IBR but I’m not prepared.

My goal is to hopefully be selected for the ‘25 IBR.

I’ve been in recovery from an illness, and am finally well enough too get into the sport.
Ira has started a thread that includes a lot of good info for the aspiring IBR entrant. You might want to peruse that and continue relevant inquiries there.

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/so-you-want-to-enter-the-iron-butt-rally.1569/

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Fitness always helps in many ways. But you can be as fit as possible and still fail to finish the IBR. It's not a physical challenge, it's a mental one
I agree with Eric. I'm by no means a learned expert at long distance / rally riding (only a handful of certs and one rally under my belt), but my experience is that endurance riding is more about mental strength than physical strength. For me, it's all about having the mental focus to press on in spite of physical discomfort; the only difference with long distance riders is the ability to forestall discomfort for longer or push through it longer.

There's nothing wrong with being physically fit. In fact, everyone should strive to be more fit than they are. But I've also seen examples of people who were in far better physical shape than I am, yet I can out-ride them any day of the week on an endurance run. The only difference between us (aside from me being a bigger fat**s) is that I'm willing to keep going when they're ready to stop.

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Even with a GPS turn by turn I end up making u-turns. To be a top competitor is unrealistic-far beyond my navigation/planning abilities unfortunately.
In the final measure, you will ultimately hit what you aim for. So don't defeat yourself before you even swing a leg over the bike.

You've clearly defined a weak spot (over-reliance on GPS and a lack of strong navigation skills). There are two ways you can look at this:

1) In the scope of all human achievement, no man can ever hope to overcome this problem.

2) Other people have learned skills to overcome this problem, and if they can overcome it, then so can I.

Whichever one you choose, you will be proven correct.

So choose wisely.

AirbusFlieger

In the final measure, you will ultimately hit what you aim for. So don't defeat yourself before you even swing a leg over the bike.

You've clearly defined a weak spot (over-reliance on GPS and a lack of strong navigation skills). There are two ways you can look at this:

1) In the scope of all human achievement, no man can ever hope to overcome this problem.

2) Other people have learned skills to overcome this problem, and if they can overcome it, then so can I.

Whichever one you choose, you will be proven correct.

So choose wisely.
I like that response very much.

Like many, I've overcome things some people don't, have experienced things that many would have given up on and from the earliest age I learned from my father "Never give up, there is always a solution".

And he was right.

Thank you S.K.

AirbusFlieger

I’ve only been able to accomplish the minimum SS1K, having just completed my fifth on Monday 06/13/22. I’m still sore and somewhat loopy from the experience, but I think this is the appropriate time to pass on why I feel strength and conditioning (fitness) are so important to the pre-ride preparation of any LD ride.

As I’ve written and defended in other threads, some people may ignore their fitness and get away with accomplishing an IBA ride cold turkey, like a SS1K/SS1600 KM. But strength and conditioning go a long way to making accomplishing such a ride feat easier and thus more enjoyable.

I’m of the mindset that when I accomplished my first SS1K in 2017, I hadn’t done enough preparation. The last 100 miles, I was into risky territory, physically and mentally. So before thinking about doing another ride in 2018, I changed my diet and lost something like 27 lbs in the process of working out, building up fitness. It made a huge difference! I’m talking night and day. Everything was better! The 2018 ride experience was an Epic thrill.

Instead of just surviving, like I did in 2017, I was literally swinging my legs off the bike as I passed along the Pacific coast’s CA-1. I was soaking it all in, the scenery, the sights and unforgettable sweet potpourri of ocean and flowery smells!

2019 was another great SS1K ride I dropped weight for through conditioning, when I traveled to Montana for the 4th of July holiday. I skipped 2020 due to Covid restrictions, but again dropped weight gained in the interim for another Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) SS1K ride in 2021. I loved ‘nearly’ every minute of them.

There’s another thing I’ve learned about myself from all of these minimum LD rides on a sportbike; my body’s pain receptors get exhausted too. After about five hours of sending signals of aches and pains, they just give up. And the more fit I am, the sooner they give up. Which translates to most of the ride where I feel as fresh as I did during my first 60 miles. And who doesn’t want to feel that fresh heading into the last 100 miles?!!

Eat healthy. Hydrate with water. Get on your exercise bike or whatever exercise regiment you prefer, as well as, on your MC months prior to your ride. You’ll have a more enjoyable, clearer and more mentally focused IBA experience.

So when non-IBA member riders question why anyone, like you, would want to torture themselves on a MC for 22 hours just for a piece of congratulatory paper, you’ll have an answer they may not expect. That piece of paper is just proof of accomplishment. I’d tell them, I may have already forgotten most of what I’ve done in the thousands of hours prior to those 22, but thanks to the IBA's member certification requirements, I will never forget and will be longing for when I get to take in what I experienced in those precious unforgettable hours riding my MC on an IBA ride... again and again and again.

Amazing!!

Quite the achievement.

I don't want to say the opposite, but in 8 weeks, I have done one 1600km, and two 2000km Iron Butt rides under 24 hours. I am overweight (5'10.. 260lbs) and retired since 2001. I ride a Goldwing and I feel it makes a big difference.