Tank Bag?

jps6882

Premier Member
Looking for ideas on how y'all have mounted tank bags to the plastic? Most of the ones I've seen have been magnet attached. I don't want it on when I'm not doing one of the IBA rides, just something for those long days in the saddle, so preferably not just sticking velcro on the plastic that will look ugly when the bag's not on.

TIA.

Loren

IBA Member
I have a mosko moto nomax tankbag. It mounts with straps, and I think it would mount to anything. Great bag, quick on and off, and it doesn't move around like magnetic bags do. Also, it has a hydration bladder, which I LOVE!

The GL1200A has a metal door on top of the false tank. If the 2021 has a plastic version, you could line the underside with steal for magnets.

-Mark

jps6882

Premier Member
Thanks for the ideas. I like the magnets under the fuel door and suction cup ideas. Not sure I have a good spot to attach straps underneath, but I'll look.

Most of the ones I've seen have been magnet attached. I don't want it on when I'm not doing one of the IBA rides, just something for those long days in the saddle, so preferably not just sticking velcro on the plastic that will look ugly when the bag's not on.

TIA.
I'm wondering if the metal tabs could be placed [and held in place] under the shelter plastic and still provide a magnetic effect strong enough through the shelter to hold the bag in place? That would be a nice clean look for sure.

I'm wondering if the metal tabs could be placed [and held in place] under the shelter plastic and still provide a magnetic effect strong enough through the shelter to hold the bag in place? That would be a nice clean look for sure.
Harbor Freight has a 2-pack of magnetic wall hangers that are supposedly rated at 65 lbs each... That's 65 lbs pulled directly away from the mounting surface, not sliding with it, of course... They come with a piece of 1/8" foam rubber separating them and they are easy enough to pull apart with that much distance that I would not trust them for anywhere close to that much weight if not mounted directly to a flat piece of steel.

Firstpeke

On my NT1100 the Honda Voyage pack comes with a magnetic tank bag..... I Have to say that this is a serious mistake by Honda.... they have had to replace some fuel tanks in the UK as it marks the tank.. even with the clear fablon that they supply, which you have to cut and fit, this is not a great solution.

I am considering getting a tank mounting ring for a small Givi bag I had for my RT..... a moment to fit or remove and very convenient.

Tep_52

Premier Member
I know that this will sound extreme but I drilled my plastics and used metal snaps. When the bag is not on you can use color matched snap blanks to camouflage

I wonder if the tank bag eventually would damage the paint on the tank... I seem to remember that being an issue with the car "bras" that you used to see sold to protect the nose of a car from rock chips or whatever... The liner material would basically be sanding the paint on the nose of the car because road grime would get under it...