DBR time stamp margin of error

AirbusFlieger

Is there a margin of error for the time stamp on a DBR?

I noticed one of my DBR's on my incomplete Ride Around West Virginia was off by about 15 minutes. Date was correct.

Thank you,
AF

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
How would the review team know the receipt was in error? If the time or date or whatever is wrong on your DBR, get another one from someplace else...

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The critical ones to get right are the start and end receipts - they are the ones used to determine the ride duration. The intermediate receipts can (and usually are) somewhat off. Document any discrepancies (e.g., the time wasn't adjusted when the times change to and from Daylight and Standard times) that are worth mentioning.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

AirbusFlieger

How would the review team know the receipt was in error? If the time or date or whatever is wrong on your DBR, get another one from someplace else...
Hi Marc,

I didn't notice until I was reviewing the DBR's. My mistake. It was a mid-ride DBR so I didn't check it as closely as a beginning or ending DBR.

As for another DBR, I found on my Ride Around West Virginia sometimes there is only one DBR option available.

My solution for that situation was to include a "check in" with my Spot X and an imbedded photo through SW Tracker so they show up on my Spotwalla.

Thanks for the reply,
AF

Dave28117

Premier Member
I use bubbler to take the receipt pics and send to Spotwalla. When it uploads the pic that gets a timestamp you can see in the images on your spot map. to me, that's a secondary timestamp.

Keep in mind that, at the end of the day, the folks who are validating your ride aren't looking for a reason to gig you. they are looking for a reasonable representation of your ride within the time and distance limits.

AirbusFlieger

I use bubbler to take the receipt pics and send to Spotwalla. When it uploads the pic that gets a timestamp you can see in the images on your spot map. to me, that's a secondary timestamp.

Keep in mind that, at the end of the day, the folks who are validating your ride aren't looking for a reason to gig you. they are looking for a reasonable representation of your ride within the time and distance limits.
SW Tracker is the "bubbler" for iPhones :)

Good advice, thank you.

I see a Chromebook in my future... Garmin does not like to play with Apple products, and I feel I am really missing out on planning and other features, such as imbedding information useful for documentation.

Russ Black

Premier Member
In my experience, ATM receipts are the _most_ accurate.. something about banks being very concerned about the timing of transactions..
Banks have to be all on the same time because money is international and times are key to deposits, money transfers, interest calculations, late fees, etc.

Just about anything that is networked via the internet uses the Network Time Protocol (NTP) which is a standard Internet Protocol (IP) for synchronizing the clocks of computers on a network. NTP was developed at the University of Delaware in 1985. It is one of the oldest internet protocols still in use. The displayed (Local Time) is determined by what time zone offset is selected in the settings of the device.

If the time displayed is off then that device is not connected to the internet or is not setup to automatically set the devices time.

Spotwalla most likely is using NTP and it is an impartial witness. Even if it doesn't use NTP to keep it's time correct, the track displays a continuous timeline from which you can easily determine the duration of the ride.

AirbusFlieger

Banks have to be all on the same time because money is international and times are key to deposits, money transfers, interest calculations, late fees, etc.

Just about anything that is networked via the internet uses the Network Time Protocol (NTP) which is a standard Internet Protocol (IP) for synchronizing the clocks of computers on a network. NTP was developed at the University of Delaware in 1985. It is one of the oldest internet protocols still in use. The displayed (Local Time) is determined by what time zone offset is selected in the settings of the device.

If the time displayed is off then that device is not connected to the internet or is not setup to automatically set the devices time.

Spotwalla most likely is using NTP and it is an impartial witness. Even if it doesn't use NTP to keep it's time correct, the track displays a continuous timeline from which you can easily determine the duration of the ride.
Wow that was informative! Thank you.