Ride Around New York

Hi -

This is my 1st time attempting a ss1000. In reviewing the instructions for Ride around NY, I wanted to confirm that you must start at one of the listed locations?
Newburgh area, Champlain, Watertown, Liverpool/Syracuse area (for example if west bound Warner Service Plaza just west of Liverpool on Thruway is acceptable),
Buffalo area (for example Agola Service Plaza just south of Buffalo on Thruway is acceptable), Jamestown?

I live in Albany which is directly along the route to either Newburgh or Champlain depending on the direction of travel. Is it acceptable to start/stop in Albany while visiting the required points? If I travel to Newburgh to start then it's an extra 180 miles back and forth to Albany. If I did the trip starting from Albany would this just be considered a general ss1000 and not the ride around NY?
Thanks for any info!!

--
Shawn.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The ride rules state, in part:

"You must start at any required city."

I'm not sure how much plainer it can be.

If you start anyplace other than one of the required cities, then yes, it would be a standard Saddlesore 1000.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From the Rules for it "You must start at any required city. You must start and end the ride at the same location" so if you started in Albany at the projected 1050 miles it would just be a SS1000.

From a policy position, are there ways to amend special route certification rules?

For instance, it seems like it could be consistent with the intent of the route to continue to keep requiring the critical cities, but permitting start/end from the same exit on the route. Maybe there's more to it?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
There is no specific route for this ride, just the cities and the requirement that the ride start and end in one of them (along with the route being completely within the state). This tremendously simplifies the verification process.

We would prefer to leave the rules as they are for the time being.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Something to consider - starting and finishing in Albany would still set you up for an "In State" certificate, if you didn't want to start/finish in the "Ride Around" cities.
But refer to those rules as well before attempting. Note: SpotWalla is required - and you gotta be careful near Waverly.

As a thought - you may consider grabbing your start receipt in Albany when you leave, then along your route be sure to get a receipt in the "ride around" locations as you go. As this is your 1st attempt, see how you're doing and then as you near Albany you can decide if you stop the ride at an "in state" or continue on for the "Ride Around"

Good luck. While I haven't earned the "ride around NY" cert I generally lap it a few times each year in the Tour of Honor. Its a nice ride and the Southern Tier Expressway with Route 17 makes for an enjoyable ride.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you are not already aware of the In State Ride Awards Program and is something you may be interested in, ride-arounds fall into a higher standard of in-state ride since it is a circuit ride.