2022 thanksgiving ride

Speedywho

Premier Member
The ride list calls for DOT street signs, are municipal street signs included in that? I'd suppose Cornville AZ would be acceptable for submission, but I've been wrong before and don't want to miss out.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Let's review the rules. The general rule for photos for this ride are:

"your motorcycle with a post office, water tower, welcome to (town) sign, DOT town sign or DOT street sign which includes the word Plymouth, Mayflower, Pilgrim, harvest, turkey, corn, beans, pumpkin, potato or cranberry."

We realize that some words are not commonly used town names, so we made some exceptions. For "Mayflower," the rules state:

"Mayflower is not a common name so we will accept photos with your motorcycle in front of a sailing vessel."

A sign with the word and image of the Mayflower is not the same as an actual sailing vessel. So I would say no, taking a photo of that sign would not fulfill the requirement.

On the other hand, I would consider any street sign that was put up by a governmental agency acceptable. So a municipal street sign would be OK.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Speedywho

Premier Member
Quick Question as I plan the final pieces of my route. Does the Pumpkin Pie selfie have to be 150 miles from the previous stop? Or can it fit anywhere within the route? And does it have to be a restaurant or is buying a piece at the grocery store allowed?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The rules state:

"Each photo must be at least 150 miles [ridden] from the previous photo"

The rules further state:

". . .a selfie of you eating a piece of pumpkin pie. You must supply a DBR from the restaurant. . ."

If it had just said something like ". . .a DBR for the pie. . ." it would be one thing. But the rules specifically say "restaurant," so the intent is for you to sit down and have the pie at a restaurant.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It depends upon how strict the verifiers want to be. So the following is only my take on it.

The rules state you need to take a photo of a street sign with the word "corn". So is the word "cornsilk" the word "corn"? Similarly, would the word "acorn" be acceptable? Yes, "cornsilk" is closer in terms of association with Thanksgiving, but one doesn't eat cornsilk.

Note the rules list a number of words that are acceptable, connected with the word "or". IOW, you don't need to take photos of all of them. So the safest thing to do is to avoid any question and pick a different, easier word to include in your submission.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Speedywho

Premier Member
Just got back, the ride was a great success. Got 5 pictures, plus pie in only 1049 miles. It'll be turned in by this time tomorrow

Thanksgiving Picture Requirements 1000 GOLD in the order I rode them.

1.Harvest Baptist Church Goodyear, AZ 85338
2.Corn Road sign Calipatria, CA 92233
3.Pie Selfie Corkys Rialto,CA 92377
4.Pumpkin Center Post Office, CA 93313
5.Plymouth Road sign Riverside, CA 92056
6.Mayflower Park sign and entry Blythe, CA 92225

Edit, just submitted my ride. Looking forward to this one.

Last edited: