US insurance for nonresidents

Hey there!

First time here :)

I'm planning a 6 month trip across the US with my own motorcycle. My question is about insurance.

My local insurance (Switzerland) does not cover the US and I am having trouble finding a US insurance company to handle my case. Also I won't have a social security number nor proof of permanent residency.
  • What insurance company has an offer for this situation? I'm especially worried about not having a social security number
  • Do US insurance companies require me to have US license plates or can I use my local license plates? The california DMV told me I only need to get national license plates if I am a resident, but no comment on insurance.
  • What's smart to get on top of Liability coverage? I'm planning to get roadside assistance.
I can't seem to find relevant information on the insurance companies websites - as my case is indeed somewhat obscure.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited:

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
www.motorcycleexpress.com is your best choice
If you need the insurance for the IBR, it's more tricky as the requirements of the IBA go beyond the typical coverage of this tourist insurance. Some discussions are needed then.
If you need the insurance only for regular tourism, the usual coverage offered is fine.

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
I know one who is from Europe that did get his insurance from Progressive specifically for the IBR in 2021. I would contact @JON12A to ask him how he did it. He bought my FJR and got insurance through Progressive.
I also got an insurance once from Progressive. The problem is: at a certain point you can't the truth when they ask for your residence and you provide them with an address of a friend. In case of an accident, you're in deep....
These insurances are designed for domestic customers, not temporary motorcycle tourists.

Auburn

Premier Member
I also got an insurance once from Progressive. The problem is: at a certain point you can't the truth when they ask for your residence and you provide them with an address of a friend. In case of an accident, you're in deep....
These insurances are designed for domestic customers, not temporary motorcycle tourists.
I believe he is using the address where the bike is stored. The bike is titled in his name here in the states. That may make the difference.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Perhaps try getting it from a Canadian insurance company. Isn't there reciprocal laws between the U.S. and Canada?
I don't know about any laws, but I know most US auto/motorcycle policies are valid in Canada, or it can be enabled easily. I would expect Canadian insurance is similar since it is so common for folks to drive across that border.

It is not necessary to get a Social Security number to visit the USA as a tourist. Some insurance companies ask for it because they use it to perform a credit check. Most US insurance companies use credit rating in addition to driving record, age, gender, marital status, etc. to set rates.

US license plates are also not required, in fact I don't think it is even allowed. It is not uncommon to see vehicles traveling in the US with Canadian or Mexican plates, and I also see European plates once in a while. The Switzerland plates should be sufficient. Proof of motorcycle ownership, liability insurance, a motorcycle operator license, and a passport should be carried while riding in the US. Here is some information from US Customs about importing a vehicle:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

See the section "Free Entry." Non-residents can bring a motorcycle to the US duty free, but it must be re-exported within one year and it cannot be sold while here.

Last edited:
I am interested in the subject, I live in Baja California, Mexico. In March I will try a 50cc and I would like an insurance/service that includes a tow truck. Any advice? thank you!

Terrywerm

This may not be directly related, but I am currently in Mexico. Picked up a rental car with Mexican insurance - from none other than - you probably guessed already - Progressive!

igneouss

Premier Member
Earlier in this thread there were references to the IBR. For international IBR entrants the rules (B. 1. c.) suggest contacting rally HQ directly to confirm your insurance meets IBR requirements. I suspect the IBR staff has helpful experience in this area.

I don't know about any laws, but I know most US auto/motorcycle policies are valid in Canada, or it can be enabled easily. I would expect Canadian insurance is similar since it is so common for folks to drive across that border.

It is not necessary to get a Social Security number to visit the USA as a tourist. Some insurance companies ask for it because they use it to perform a credit check. Most US insurance companies use credit rating in addition to driving record, age, gender, marital status, etc. to set rates.

US license plates are also not required, in fact I don't think it is even allowed. It is not uncommon to see vehicles traveling in the US with Canadian or Mexican plates, and I also see European plates once in a while. The Switzerland plates should be sufficient. Proof of motorcycle ownership, liability insurance, a motorcycle operator license, and a passport should be carried while riding in the US. Here is some information from US Customs about importing a vehicle:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

See the section "Free Entry." Non-residents can bring a motorcycle to the US duty free, but it must be re-exported within one year and it cannot be sold while here.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Definitely if you're riding in the Iron Butt Rally there are special rules for that event that must be followed. My comments were more generic as it's not clear to me if Simon will ride in the IBR or is just coming here for other riding. If you're just being a tourist or maybe doing some IBA certified rides you mainly just need to meet the legal requirements of the areas where you ride (plus wear appropriate safety gear regardless of laws).

igneouss

Premier Member
Yep. Everything Keith has said.
To clarify:
For recreational riding and/or IBA certificates: international riders need typical insurance that is required in the US. Call any major insurer (Progressive for example) and ask. The IBA will not check any of this.
For the IBR and many other rallies (LDX for example): they have specific minimum requirements that can exceed the general policies sold for 'normal' riding. Check with the rally organizers early to avoid surprises. Rally organizers will require printed 'proof' that you hold the policy and that it meets rally requirements.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
On the insurance topic: Also consider medical travel insurance during your stay in the US, which is separate from motorcycle insurance. The motorcycle liability insurance will include some coverage for injuries to other people caused by you, but it usually does not cover your own medical expenses.

The US health care system is famously expensive, and if you need medical care in the US for any reason you might get some shocking medical bills. Does your health cost coverage in Switzerland cover you while in the USA? I have no idea, but it is definitely something you should verify before arrival.