I'm just gonna leave this here.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I had my own small shop doing Mazda Miata repairs/service/upgrades I had one of my female customers bring her car in because of a noise that occurred during braking and sometimes hard cornering. I found a sex toy trapped behind the package shelf where it had been sliding back and forth as she drove. To say she was embarrassed would be an understatement. She continued to be a customer though!

In regards to the above, for $65 the tech could have put on a nitrile glove and removed the offending item, placed it in a plastic bag and left it on the seat. Charging an hour diagnostic labor for a couple of minutes of 'work' and not solving the issue is criminal.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
That'll be €65 (EU euro) of lesson learned if you can believe it's not a spoof.

To redress the male-female balance we had a fella bring his Austin Mini in for service with a complaint of an unpleasant sweaty feet smell in the passenger compartment. We found an empty butter wrapper bearing a long since expired 'use by date' alongside the battery. The butter had melted onto the battery tray and harvested a proper smelly green/black growth. I think we added an hour labour to clean up the mess plus the cost of a 'new car' deodoriser.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I worked in a body shop where they lowered the roof of a Mini, fitted a roll cage and de-seamed it. It looked like a toy but with a 1300 engine, skimmed and ported cross flow head, twin SU carbs and I don't remember what else it shifted like sh1t off a shovel. Although I'm probably seeing it today through rose tinted glasses and any modern hot hatch would leave it for dust.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I used to drive a track prepped NA (first gen), Miata with 300 rwhp. Partial roll cage. Motor was a 1.8L swapped from a newer Miata, but built from scratch with forged con rods, custom forged pistons, O-ringed block/head and running 15 psi of boost with a custom turbo kit. Motor was built to handle 20 lbs of boost, but run at 15 for longevity. Tons of ceramic coatings, polymer coatings for oil release and hard coat lube coatings, etc. Upgraded nearly every system. Swapped diff gears and trans 5th gear from a RX7 even. An honest 165 mph car and very, very quick. A hoot at the track, dangerous on the street. Sold it after 9 years to buy a house. Did a dyno day once and the boost controller took a dump, spiked over 30 psi and was generating 500 ft/lbs of torque momentarily while skipping the tires on the rollers.

Ahh, the old days. When my noggin was full of odd bits of Miata and Mazda info like all the paint codes and interchangeable parts between later Kias. I've possibly forgotten more than most will ever know about those little cars.