Charging on the go.

bmbob

IBA Member
Hi All
Bit of help please, how do you charge your smart phone when doing a 2 day Rally?
I plan to do this years BBR, but after doing this years S.A.S. Tour which was only 8 hours my phone battery was well down, and would not have done another full day.
Thanks Bob

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Garmin 590/595 cradle has a USB charging lead. Phone in tank bag or handlebar bag.
Works for me on longer trips.

LenJ

Old Bike/New bike? All ok.
IBA Member
"Other brands are available" to coin a phrase..... :) all probably made in the same far eastern factory as the optimate though.

Firstpeke

I have several methods, one is the USB on the bike,, although this is also used for Apple Car Play with the phone.....
There is also a 12vdc socket I use with a USB adapter as an alternate....
In my tank bag I carry a powerbank, one of two I have,. a high capacity one which will do several charges and another that would do a couple.

I also use the power bank to charge my second Sena intercom battery in the tank bag.

My iPhone 12 mini charge goes down quickly if not plugged in, mostly due to it being bluetoothed to the Satnav if not connected to the bike for Apple Car play.....

bob get a different phone 8 hours is no good. mine seems to last all day plus some. heard the i phones are battery hungry is that what your using?
on bike charger or power bank will top up.

just had to get myself a new one as the old one became impossible to use due to updates sent out by the phone company still had 2 months on contract was perfectly useable then went within a few days getting worse every day. all that to make you buy a new phone "legalized scaming"

to conclude the new one seems to last as long as the old one, a lot more than 8 hours that is.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As an alternative method, if you ride with a tank bag, tuck one of these, (or similar), in the bottom of your tank bag and you can put your phone inside the tank bag when charging, out of the weather/sun. LINK Not too hard to run 12v power to the tank bag from the bike. If you don't want a hole and the bag doesn't have a pass through, you could put an SAE connector on the end and plug in as needed for longer rides, just running the cord in at the zipper.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
I have one of these dual USB ports and one similar sing USB port on my dash/shelf above my gauges. One port runs a USB to my phone on a RAM Mount and Quadlock adapter. One port runs a Garmin Glo synced to my phone also on the shelf. The third port runs my Garmin InReach Explorer+ when I run it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWW2TRT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Both adapters are run to SAE connectors down in the fairing. I can get to them to unhook, move, or otherwise repair if needed.
Both SAE connectors run back to a small auxiliary fuse block under the seat.